future tech fetishism

so i figured i’d start a thread of future tech. if it goes well we can move it to galaxy oddity? maybe

halo

wolfenstein: the new order / the new colossus

i really want to post some star wars but not a videogame so

4 Likes

this is sort of a recommendations thread too i guess,

• what is this kind of thing called
  • what games have it

I was hoping for utopian space station art and I got gun guys.

you can add stuff, gun guys is what im into but utopian space station art is cool too

3 Likes

1 Like

feel like some jrpgs gotta get into this

the allgames{whatever} sites usually have a bunch of concept art dumps like this but I have no idea which is the current one and how far back their archives go.

I’m struggling to think of JRPGs that are fully “the totality of the new age” when it comes to art design, even before implementation. There’s a bunch of substantially-post-apocalyptic mish-mashes of semi-tech people in architectured-subsumed-by-organics ruins, a handful of pseudo-giger flesh-tech worlds and then it’s pretty much just mechs, mechs, mechs.

Those chunks are still good though. Zeal. Solaris.

what games are these

Both are Titanfall

1 Like

I’m a bit late to the party myself but can confirm that Titanfall 2 is really, really good and is also $20 on psn right now.

Here’s some “future” tech from Alien: Isolation.

This is what most computer stations look like.

You use this to turn lights on/off, open/close vents and turn off the air purification system which will cause air vents to spit out a bunch of white smokey dust(?) for a few moments to lower visibility enough to creep by any aliens, androids or mean humans.

This is the save station. To save your game you have to first find one, and then slide in a punch card and watch the light change. While avoiding the alien.

You use this thing to hack into computers.

And of course there’s the motion tracker.

2 Likes

hmm I’m not feeling any of th

oh NOW that’s what’s up. love that blocky design. and how mildly unwieldy it looks. I’m way into unwieldy looking technology. see: Monster Hunter weaponry, 80s tech, the gigantic power cord they have to use in evangelion because a giant robot is obviously an absurd waste of energy and going to drain like a year old iphone once unplugged. tech that is just advanced enough that humans don’t know how to make it convenient yet, but by god they’re gonna make it work.

6 Likes

Early Spartans in Halo also needed power tethers too. Battery technology is always dragging.

I think this starts with Aliens and the US anxiety that advanced military technology might be futile.

1 Like

Sorry about busting in all grumpy-like. That was uncool of me.

no worries fam

1 Like
1 Like

3 Likes

1 Like