Funiculì, Funiculà

Post examples of the classic Italian song that celebrates the opening of the first funicular on Mount Vesuvius:

Also post examples of inclined elevators in videogames — bonus points if it’s actually a funicular (i.e. it has two cars that counterbalance each other, so as one goes up the other goes down).

Bionic Commando (Arcade) has an inclined elevator in stage 4:

It’s very slow. And not a true funicular.

Shadow Complex has an inclined elevator very close to the start of the game:

The speedrun I took this screen from has the dude jump down the incline instead of taking a ride, costing the runner 170 HP (which is immediately refilled for reasons I don’t understand (never played it)).

Also, it’s not a true funicular.

Metroid: Other M has an inclined elevator called the Materials Transfer Lift, like halfway through the game in the Ice Area for some reason:

However, instead of transferring materials, it appears to serve as an arena for a fight against some trash mobs and a miniboss. Curiously, the ride seems to end as soon as the miniboss is defeated.

It, also, is not a true funicular.

Are there any actual funiculars in videogames???????????

10 Likes
10 Likes

Half Life’s third chapter has one of the more famous sloped elevators in games image

10 Likes

I will not post praetorium. I will not post praetorium. I will not post pr

2 Likes
4 Likes
2 Likes

Destiny 2, Arms Dealer Strike has a (not counterbalanced) one at the end. Notably, you can murder the boss of the strike while riding it up, and mostly skip the actual bossfight for the level.

(should be timestamped)

3 Likes
7 Likes
3 Likes

I feel like these particular sloped elevators (= spacious, indoors, in factories / military facilities, no roofs or walls) are in every videogame but barely exist in real life, whereas regular funiculars (used for public transit, basically a tram on a slope) are pretty common in real life but I can’t think of one single example in a videogame.

They’d be a good fit too!

3 Likes

Funiculars are basically mythical in America

4 Likes

Like all public transit right

Japan has some funiculars!

3 Likes

this is a real place and it’s very iconic so i assumed they would have put it in the game. i guess you can’t actually ride it though?

5 Likes

Except for Pittsburgh.

2 Likes

The mythical land of yinz

7 Likes

The mythical land of impossible spaces. Seeing into the football stadium from above as a helicopter flew up from below me was some weird shit.

6 Likes

this is also like a twenty minute elevator ride

God… damnit…

(timestamped)

Deep Stone Crypt in D2 has these but they’re non-functional. They do take you to Central Dogma.

2 Likes

I thought daphny posted halo 2 but it’s FF14 so:

Halo 2, Cairo Station and Sacred Icon IIRC

Deus Ex Hooman Revolution has getting to a funicular (ok really a sloped elevator) as a big mission objective and your codec friends say the word funicular like 8000 times

5 Likes