Full-Life

can we form a covenant to only refer to them as Ego Shooters from now on, its the one thing germans got absolutely right

9 Likes

first person perspective shoot them ups

5 Likes

I actually do say “first person shmup” or just “shooting games”

Doom clones, surely

1 Like

This is basically an axe thread now lol

2 Likes

On the other hand I think in one of the sequels you go fight revenants of some kind while you’re in a mech and games need more gonzo shit like that imho

1 Like

Half Life 2 did absolutely nothing for interactive storytelling because your actions don’t influence the story. Deus Ex does an infinitely better job at this and the tools it employs are way more sophisticated. What’s more primitive about its story is the presentation, not the interactivity.

Also I remember my friend telling me that “you gotta play Half Life, it’s better than Goldneye!” and when I finally got a PC and played it I knew that he lied.

Goldeneye >>> Half Life

And while we’re talking about ego shooters I might as well divulge that I accidentally bought an old iMac to play Prime Target because I thought it can’t be emulated but apparently it can be emulated so I guess I did it for the original experience™. And I’ve heard good things about Mac System Shock and why not play some Shogo on a CRT while I’m at it I guess ugh yeah oh well.

3 Likes

I don’t disagree, but half life 2 still broke ground with presentation and that is important for interactive storytelling. it is much better experience to be physically existing in-game while plot events happen that are reactive to your movement and actions than just watching an fmv or reading a bunch of text boxes.

this is not a criticism of deus ex! I love deus ex! it has a great story and uses its primitive tools very effectively. it does a lot of things that the half life games can’t come close to touching.

but games don’t need to have branching paths in the story based on player action to be good. a lot of games are basically just rollercoasters and that’s fine.

more than one type of thing can be good.

4 Likes

I wanted to play wrestling games but everybody else with a n64 always wanted to play goldeneye and I just ran around getting killed by people who had already mastered the game, so I never got to be anything more than a goldeneye jobber, so goldeneye fucking sucks

13 Likes

I was lucky to have a brother who is only 3 years older than I am. So, I got to do all the cool co-op and multiplayer stuff on N64. We would play some of that stuff nearly daily. And after we’d worn out the built-in game modes and context----we’d make up our own stuff.

I recently saw that Digital Foundry did a video on Turok. And I instantly remembered some times when my brother and i strayed from the game to do our own thing and make our own narrative. I have similar memories on tap, of Super Mario Kart, of all things.

A few years ago, a friend of mine got out an N64 and one of the later wrestling games which had ladder matches. I sweeped our session and won every game. Years of days of repeated training with my brother.

When Halo came out, my bro was basically out of the house. But! I was then lucky to have a fairly large group of friends. And one of them had his “bedroom” in the separate “in-law” apartment, on his mom’s property. So-------we did 4 TVs, 4 Xboxes, 4 copies of Halo, 16 player LAN party. About twice a month, for some time. I"m not really the biggest Halo fan, in general. But the multiplayer is really good. And man even if it had sucked, that context was wonderful. I cherish those times with those people and TVs and consoles. That was the #full-life

2 Likes

this is my experience with goldeneye, i feel like people only asked me to play to bully me, also its dick that i had to find out about the two button strafing on my own after wondering for weeks why everyone was so much faster than me

the only good thing about goldeneye is i played it with a hot girl at a ten in the swear jar show and fifteen years later we ended up dating, we didnt remember that we had met as kids until someone else was playing goldeneye at my house
AND THE SOUNDS BROUGHT US BACK it was amazing

5 Likes

goldeneye’s single player is great. the multiplayer always felt like fucking a rock to me

2 Likes

When my brother in law and sister had only just started dating many years ago I demoralized him thoroughly by dominating him in GoldenEye after he talked mad shit about how much he played against his buddies in his dorm. Ah, good times.

6 Likes

Well it does only run at like 12-20fps with 4 players…

1 Like

tbf this is the sort of existential anxiety i experience with basically all game dev

3 Likes

Playtest Early,
Playtest Often

or,
friends can be great collaborative energy builders, and watching them struggle immediately gets you a list of a dozen things to fix, and motivation to fix it to show them again

2 Likes

that’s not interactive storytelling to me though, it’s interactive waiting while the story is being told to you

and that is neat too I mean I was pretty amazed when I first played Chrono Trigger and realized I could just keep walking after the text box popped up and they really improved on that a lot and that makes for a more immersive rollercoast and that is a good thing I agree

also yeah I like Goldenye more but I don’t hate Half Life it thought me how to mouse-aim, and I even played burned CD-Rs of all the addons like what was it blueshift and gunman chronicles (no wait that’s just the same engine) back when I had too much time as an anxious teenager good times

oh yeah and I always forget that when people talk about Goldeneye they usually mean the multiplayer (and I never mean the multiplayer)

and uh

Perfect Dark multiplayer >>> Goldeneye multiplayer
Goldeneye singleplayer >>> Perfect Dark singleplayer

4 Likes

yeah those scenes in HL2 always felt like standing and waiting, to me. Episode 1 and especially 2, have a couple of scenes which are more interactive/story hybrids. A little better execution.

But for what HL2 was doing----I’d much rather have had a quality cutscene like an MGS game.

I’m too lazy to find the post, but I think its not really fair to say HL2 has a much better visual signature than Deus Ex.

Graphics tech in Deas Ex time compared to HL2’s time is like loosely comparing an specifically early PS2 game to Xbox 360 level of graphics tech.

I do agree that looking back on HL2, certain assets do still hold up pretty well. But I’d say that’s as much a result of the maturity of the graphics tech at the time, allowing for better art. Artwork more similar to newer games and tastes. In its time Deaus Ex was noted for its slick, “tech” aesthetic. The assets don’t hold up at all, anymore. But few games from that era really do. In many ways, Deus Ex looks more like a juiced up N64 game, than even a PS2 game. That’s how long ago that was.

1 Like

I’m fine with half life 2 being seen as an immersive rollercoaster instead of interactive storytelling. I feel like the former is a very small subset of the latter but that’s just meeee