FUCK YEAH DRAGON QUEST (Part 2)

Continuing the discussion from FUCK YEAH DRAGON QUEST (Part 1) - #2038 by sleepysmiles.

Previous discussions:

FUCK YEAH DRAGON QUEST II: DOPE LUMINARIES OF THE FUCKEN AWESOME LINE

4 Likes

I started playing DQ11 Every Extend Extra Edition and this new feature where NPCs randomly lie to you like in Simon’s Quest is so good, it should be in every game

23 Likes

i like that they’re all really perturbed by their own lies like “did I say that?? huh that was weird of me. Anyway”

i think these are the first attempts at Dragon Quest Localization Puns, earlier even than the priest in 4 who says “don’t litter in the litter” and everyone groans at his bullshit

8 Likes

Any opinions about the new Dragon Quest Monsters on the Switch?

3 Likes

i was going to play it tonight but i appear to have downloaded the korean version by mistake

4 Likes

i’m playing but very slow so far, not enough along to really say much yet

hard not to notice the general production value gap compared to dqxi, but of course that’s not really fair considering dqxi is absolutely decadent, and so far i find it almost charming that you can so clearly see the line between things it couldn’t give a shit about (how it feels to walk around, sparse house interiors, vaguely surreal way you fast travel between areas with no real connective tissue) and things it’s obsessed with (how the monsters look, baroque spreadsheeting of monster stats/abilities/points/lineages/etc). but again, early on!

i do want to online battle anyone else who plays though… i played one tournament thing and got paired up against 30 consecutive late game japanese teams and just got dumpstered over and over, seems like they could have handled that a little differently…

6 Likes

ok this game is kind of wild, i just witnessed the protagonist, a young psaro manslayer, get banned from heaven for refusing to bend the knee to god in favor of murdering his father to become the devil, and then he returned to terrestrial earth to stand stoically before his companions as they turned their backs on him one by one

dragon quest iv: the phantom pain over here

18 Likes

Posting in here as a first time Dragon Quester. It’s interesting to play DQXI and puzzle out what’s unique to DQ and what is an iteration on DQ endemic to this sequel. I have zero context except that there are slimes and Toriyama’s art.

Was this a well liked sequel? How did the old heads think of it?

1 Like

dqxi? highly beloved

7 Likes

11 is a masterpiece and I don’t even like DQ that much

I would say it is like twice as good as any other entry

I wasn’t super duper feeling it up until the boat though

4 Likes

you might wanna watch Tim’s review

1 Like

Yeah this is if anything giving me some helpful context :thinking:

My partner is out of town for the weekend and I don’t have much else to do besides hang out and play this. I’m in Gallopolis and having a cozy time. I keep thinking I may quit and do something else the rest of the night… but I may just keep playing.

Why not?

2 Likes

oh my god

17 Likes

So baffled by whatever this is.
Is it entirely AI generated? What the hell is up with the girl’s mannerisms?
Surely no human beings made this thing

3 Likes

dq wink

this reads as (pretty poorly) hand animated to me. i have no idea what the motivation for this is, or what it’s trying to interpret, but I do think someone spent many hours putting this together

2 Likes

oh see that reads as extremely ai generated to me

1 Like

interesting!! i don’t really know the ins and outs of 3D AI art at all. I assumed it was the same as generating all video, where it’s just like, guessing one frame from the previous frame kind of stuff. My take on this is that it looks like 3D models being manipulated, which I’m just not sure how that works with AI if it does at all.

I will say, this doesn’t look at all like a regular AI generated video to me, but I’m simply not familiar with how people use AI in 3D work.

1 Like

I assume if it’s AI, it’s maybe something like that endless Seinfeld thing where the AI is manipulating 3D models using predefined animations. The face close-ups look more typical AI-ish to me, and the text to speech is pretty obvious.

Whatever it is, it is extremely uncanny and doesn’t look like something a human being would have made and I don’t know why anyone would want to either

1 Like