Football Manager: The Best Strategy RPG You've Never Played

I’m not entirely sure when the change happened. It’s hard to tell when you get so involved with something as when a particular inflection point could be said to have Definitely Happened.

When I first noticed that it had happened was when I was discussing (I think on the Sports Interactive forums, although it may have been in a Discord of a moderately well-known Football Manager streamer) what the best approach was for a player new to the Football Manager series.

It used to be that the best way to start playing Football Manager was to take over (i.e. appoint yourself as manager) one of the various huge, rich teams that stride the sport like colossi. Manchester United, with their domination of the English Premier League, was a popular choice. You’d have a squad full of talented players, which meant that even if you were figuring out what to do, that the team would still play well and you’d have loads of money to allow you to experiment with acquiring players.

If you do that now, things are not going to go well. The team will likely play poorly in ways that will be difficult to analyze, the players will chafe under your leadership, the board and fans will be relentlessly negative and odds are that you’ll be sacked (fired) before you hit the halfway point of your first season.

Instead, you’re better off taking over a tiny team in the lower leagues. The expectations won’t be high, so you’ll have time to figure things out, the squad may be terrible; however, so are all the other teams at your level. Because your players are so limited, what they’re good at and bad at will be a lot more obvious, and you can try and manage to emphasize the former and minimize the latter. And if you fail, hey, it’s not like Truro City are tearing it up in real life and you’re not going to be sitting there thinking “How can I fail at United?”

Something you see a lot of in the SI forums and other places FM player congregate are people who used to play the game years ago, all posting pretty much the same thing: “What’s happening? My team won’t do what I want them to do even though I’ve done the Things I Used to Do!”

This is because you used to be able to play Football Manager by setting a tactic that fit your players and had a fairly coherent overall plan, go to match, simulate through with highlights, then manage your squad over time, building it at as you saw fit as the seasons flew by.

Instead, if you want to do well in the current iteration of FM, you need to take your time. Make sure you have staff analyzing the opposition and then study those reports. What formation do they typically play? How high up is their defensive line? Do they rely on a single player for creativity going forward? Where do they like to deliever the ball on corner kicks? Then make adjustments to your team in turn. When the game actually starts, have the game on Full Match, and watch the players. Are your players doing what you want them to do? If not, why not? Make adjustments, like changing the mentality for one player, or the roles for a few players, etc.

The time that you used to spend playing five matches now accounts for probably just the one.

Anyway, Football Manager. It’s a game about controlling space. It’s a game about getting a bunch of fake-real players to work together only they’ll eventually get old and you’ll have to replace them. It’s one of those games that you can play forever. If you play it, post here! If you have questions about it, post here!

19 Likes

I love football manager

I am scared to return to it

2 Likes

This is understandable. If I add up the hours that I have on only the versions you can get on Steam, they add up to:

14,082 hours

(This is from FM10 on, so obviously does not count the previous versions you had to buy a hard-copy for, which involved importing them from a European country (usually Germany for some reason) previously.)

3 Likes

what

there are 8,760 hours in a non-leap year
14,082 is 1.607 years

I’m not proud.

Or tired.

(These years spanned the births of both of my children, who were infamously bad sleepers. Turns out Football Manager can be easily played while walking in a circle, bouncing an infant on your shoulder, stopping then and again to do some mouse-clicking.)

9 Likes

I’m clean now

3 Likes

Also always use the editor before starting a new game to set scotlands yourh rating at 195 ok.

4 Likes

I see you playing this all the time on Steam so I don’t doubt your statistics in the least! I always wondered what you’d have to say about the game so I’m super glad this thread exists now. I love football and I’d rather play a football coach than a football player or team, so this is cool.

You don’t need to, there’s a Scottish SI dev who consistently over-rates their youth setup, always good for snapping up a ned wonderkid from Dundee.

2 Likes

maybe i should finally get into this.
i bounce off fifa and most sports games for some sort of uncanny valley feeling, but i have always had an incredibly chill time watching friends/family just play fm for hours

1 Like

To talk about why people get so into Football Manager, I think we need to talk about how the overall conversation about football/soccer and in specific the attention paid to tactics/strategy on the pitch and how that viewpoint has become far more sophisticated over the last 30 years or so (and how that change has affected FM itself, as it is a decent reflection of how the enthusiast community views the sport). To an extent, I would say that anybody largely unfamiliar with either the sport or Football Manager would do well to do read a fair bit of some of the sources listed below because doing so will allow them to have the right sort of mental context that honestly I feel is required to be successful in the modern iteration of the game – if you want to achieve success on your own terms (i.e. if you wish to play the game as a theoretical manager rather than plugging in an exploit tactic that you’ve downloaded from Steam Workship/an FM forum) you need to be able to think systematically about how the game is played.

Probably the first port of call when talking about football tactics and also talking about how the approach to tactics has changed, is Jonathan Wilson’s Inverting the Pyramid. This is more of a history of football tactics than an exploration of tactics themselves; however, going over how the approach to the tactical approach to the sport is an excellent way to grasp the basics of how formations and associated instructions work and Wilson also provides an admirably varied cultural overview of the development of the game.

(Wilson’s also written a number of other books about football and they’re all pretty much worth checking out, especially if you’re interested how the sport was played behind the Iron Curtain and the early diaspora of European coaches to South America and how that influenced the game there.)

From both a more modern and a more technical perspective, there is also Michael Cox’s Zonal Marking (he has a book of the same name that just came out, at least in the UK), which offers match-specific analysis of formations and strategies. This is the sort of analysis that lets you understand why a 3-5-2 has an advantage in certain areas of the field compared to a 4-4-2, and how a 4-2-3-1 might match up against either, with the caveat of course that a formation can play fairly differently depending on its exact implementation, which includes the individual players selected.

Those numbers that I used up there are ways to determine how a team is lined up, with each individual number referencing how many players are in each “strata” viewed as if you viewing a soccer pitch from a bird’s eye perspective, with the defensive players near the bottom and the offensive players near the top, and each horizontal line of players transcribed into a number moving from bottom (left) to top (right). So 4-4-2 means four defenders, four midfielders, and two forwards. This gets pretty arcane pretty quickly, so you get stuff like 4-2-2-1-0 DM Wide, which is describing a team set up with 4 defenders, 2 defensive midfielders, 2 wide midfielders, 1 attacking midfielder, and no forwards. Luckily that formation and most like it are completely stupid, so it’s mainly an issue of notation for notation’s sake.

It’s part of this attempting to take an incredibly fluid situation (the formations being described here only what a team looks like when it’s set up to defend another team, i.e. when it doesn’t have the ball and it isn’t in a transition phase) that makes Football Manager so compelling and also so frustrating, the desire to try and understand and manipulate something that is entirely out of our, and everybody’s control, at the same time butting up against the brick wall of the imperfection of simulation.

Next time, maybe, the actual game.

9 Likes

Is this a first for a sports game? Obviously they restrict it to ‘regen’ players (once all the real players start retiring, they need to be replaced with generated ones) because of potential lawsuit reasons.

1 Like

WISE FWOM YOUW GWAVE

Football Manager 2020 is free on the Epic Game Store RIIIIIIIIGHT NOWWWWWWW

If anybody wants to grab and get some advice on how to play, I’m down to clown.

3 Likes

The last one i played was 17. What is new and important in 20?

Also the pregame editor isn’t on Epic ;_;

1 Like

I played 19 while it was on gamepass until they took it off there, right in the middle of my rebuilding of Hamburger SV.

The main new feature or focus of 20 is having a club vision. When you join a club, the board will lay out want they want to achieve over a multi-year period. So if you’re a lower league team, you might be expected to acheive promotion by your third year. They might also require to play a certain way or sign certain types of players. There’s also a development centre that gives you more info and focus on how your younger players are getting on.

Having played 20 for a couple of hours, it’s not really that different to 19. But I guess FM has never been about big upgrades from sequel to sequel. The menus are still very overwhelming.

2 Likes

Need to work out scouting again :- (

1 Like

I’m getting pretty into FM20 now. Got brentford promoted into the premier league first time. Have been very streaky in the PL, won four to start then lost ten in a row before getting things to a more even keel. Hoping to survive and avoid relegation.

I wish there was a bit more nuance to the player conversations. If a player disagrees with something, you often get stuck with only the option of taking the disagreement further.

1 Like

so i’m playing this again

fm19, taking weson-super-mare all the way to the top baby

opened our season with 6 straight losses and have since gone on a long unbeaten streak with a 7 game win streak somewhere in there and all it took was moving to a 4231

the scariest thing right now is that when I was going hard on the 442 I had scouted and signed a bunch of central midfielders because they’re easier to find than attacking midfielders atm, but now that I’ve switched and we’re winning I’m basically hoping that no one in my attacking midfielder setup gets injured because I have precisely three of them

I’m also essentially at a single backup on my right wingback and zero backups on my left wingback so I desperately need some backups there

need so many wings it’s like I’m the warriors ayyyy

1 Like

ok so I have checked and it’s not quite as dire as I thought - they’re all on my U23s team oops

still need a central attacking midfielder real bad because any time my AMC gets tired I have to move everyone around like I’m seating a wedding

2 Likes