fishing games you have known and loved

oh damn i didn’t know!
i’m trying to figure out the best fishing game for ps2 right now

Shigesato Itoi’s fishing game, which I gamer streamed once. I didn’t catch a single fish or have any clue what I was doing but it was amongst the most enjoyable three hours of my life.

14 Likes

mood

11 Likes

I liked fishing in Everybody’s golf. The appeal is having to keep watching the floater and start pulling only when it starts Seriously Sinking (there are some false alerts) instead of waiting for a button prompt like in most games. It’s hypnotic.

And you level up. I know, it’s bad, but I love it

I didn’t play it much though because fishing mini games seem best as downtime after killing hell demons instead of downtime after, well. Golf

3 Likes

Here’s where i say that the in-dungeon fishing game in Dark Cloud 2 rules and the fact that you can either cook the fish you catch to create a powerful HP restorative OR you can raise it in a virtual tank and train it up to win goddamn fish races rules even harder

I was reminded of this by Tuxedo’s post because there is also an awesome golfing minigame, and both are available after you kill all the monsters on a dungeon floor. Like, you get a big DEFEATED ALL ENEMYS text display with fanfare, and then this chill Spanish guitar music starts playing and you can wander around the randomly generated floor fishing in randomly generated ponds and playing golf

I need to replay that game, it was ahead of its time

8 Likes

actually doesn’t legend of the river king have a little fish virtual pet minigame too?

1 Like

Breath of Fire 4 has my favorite fishing

Losing lures, breaking line means you have to go buy replacements and the fish can be traded for goods.
The fishing spots are all unique and have different things to catch. Every lure has different movement and work better or worse in different environments for different purposes. Its just got a lot going on.

Fishing in Twilight princess is interesting in that you can catch monster fish in dungeons but disappointing in that they are “forbidden” and must be thrown back.

4 Likes

fishing minigames are cool, but for my purposes they are, in fact, the coward’s way

i must have full fish immersion. i cannot be tempted by gameplay of the non-fish-oriented variety

7 Likes

my mom finished that game.

2 Likes

!!!

4 Likes

Aw man, is there a fly tying portion to the game? I’ve only fished once in my life and I kind of don’t like the result but it’s very chill in the abstract.

1 Like

played some fisherman’s challenge for ps2 - it seems pretty damn good, though the music is ass

might do some of this one on stream

this game seems real cool

1 Like

Fishing games seem superior to real fishing, which as far as i can tell is mostly just being mean to fish

7 Likes

I might take up magnet fishing one day – slightly more active and less chill, but I feel better pulling trash out of a body of water than a fish.

7 Likes

is this like a real thing?

1 Like

Yeah, it’s sort of emerging as a weirdo hobby like metal-detecting

4 Likes

streaming some ps2 fishing games
https://www.twitch.tv/meauxdal

2 Likes

Tekken Fishing with John Tekken

3 Likes

ohh yeah, i do wanted to try this one day.