FINAL FANTASY XVI

Probably like FF15 lol

3 Likes

Iā€™m still trying to figure out why I dislike FF15 so much. I feel like I should just be able to vibe with all that ~content~ theyā€™ve made, but I canā€™t. I think itā€™s because all the boys like each other. If there was more conflict thereā€™d be more of an incentive to push them into new locations to see what they do.

1 Like

xvā€™s battle system is ass. if i practiced a bit more, iā€™d probably pick it up, but i hear the story is lackluster, which makes me not want to go back to it any time soon. totally fine with the idea of a very homo roadtrip game tho.

thinking ab this now and iā€™ll just air it out instead of stewing to myself:

maybe itā€™s because i canā€™t play anymore but one thing thatā€™s always bothered me ab xiv is the boo boo baby shit centrist politics. fuck the plotline for yotsuyu in stormblood too.

i was more aggravated by that than anything lyse did.

of course, that would be the second time, ( that i know of ) when there couldā€™ve been a poc as a central character that gets

sidelined by some blonde haired blue-eyed ā€™ savior '.
still p irked ab the changes that were made to the sultana at the last minute.

seeing how incredibly homogeneous xvi is and reading yoshi-pā€™s rambling ā€™ explanation ā€™ for why, all the while talking ab
ā€™ bucking tradition ā€™
is also hilarious.
wouldnā€™t want to actually do anything to quell the chuds + pple who consume media uncritically /s

really not willing to give se any more money than i have to for the foreseeable future. it was fun to be an actual final fantasy punk while it lasted. this isnā€™t even to be written off as some bitter aging gamer who has to watch a beloved franchise inevitably change. itā€™s just funny that no one ever talks about it. at least, not that iā€™ve ever seen.

just memes and catpple jokes.

the same pple who try to sell you ab how ā€™ oppressed ā€™ they are despite always somehow always being able to afford the financial commitment. a ā€™ community ā€™ that is a lot more insular than pple care to mention, with holdovers from communities that were known to be toxic af.

i donā€™t really swallow the ā€™ wholesomeness ā€™ of xiv or anyone who tries to push it.

thatā€™s enough venting for one post.

yoshi-p seems to be a real clown after further investigation, however

sometimes, i think to myself: ā€™ i fucking hate videogames ā€™

6 Likes

yeah I just cannot get excited for a game that seems to be taking the XV/VIIR battle system and rolling with it. the deciding factor in me not playing those games was how much I did not want to deal with that mess.

4 Likes

oh, wow, if i had actually kept up with this properly, i wouldā€™ve seen yā€™all talking ab the very things i was just griping ab. gotta stop reading really bad video game forums. itā€™s like a compulsion to see the worst of the internet for max psychic damage or something

4 Likes

Iā€™ll be the voice in the wilderness and say I loved 15. The battle system probably sucks, in fact basically everything about the game sucks, but I couldnā€™t stop until I more or less 100%ed it. Itā€™s just so weird that I couldnā€™t help but love its balls-out bananas chutzpah. Every single decision, every plot point, every new layer of the combat system, you ask yourself, why would they do it this way? Out of all the possible ways? Against a backdrop of a dudes rock road trip, I dunno. Itā€™s magic.

10 Likes

yeah iā€™m not like hating on it because i feel like the trailers have barely showed anything but a guy running around outside but it really does look like the most conservative possible mainline installment you could make after 15. when they showed the cast of characters at the pax panel i could barely tell them apart. like even by ff standards they are some indiscernable white people. also the protagonist looking like the generic guy on the ff14 box is lame. at least they managed to make that guy interesting!!!

3 Likes

some of the music in the trailers is quite good, imo

i dig the prelude variation and the manic violin stuff at 3:05

dunno if the game will be any good (and iā€™ve never played 14), but iā€™m enjoying what iā€™ve played of 15 so far at least

2 Likes

FF XV was swell almost completely due to vibes and the lack of random battles. I dug the battle system as a way to press buttons in a vaguely action way, I donā€™t recall if there was much in the way of strategy to them though.

XVI seems to lack said vibes and without something notable to replace them Iā€™m not exactly sure what that leaves behind?

3 Likes

xv gave me gladio at least. the doujin created from him alone makes the game worth it.
anyway, the trailers for xvi look a lot better than what was being shown at pax.
iā€™m honestly a little confused now.

they picked weird things to showcase.

i think a lot of pple made fun of him looking like the xiv guy initially. pple are still upset ab xv having a male dominated cast but what gets me is like. . .at least in xv their designs are better. i can still relate to the characters in xv. theyā€™re very likable. i am disappointed ab the design choices being made with xvi is all.

it just seems very boiler plate considering the stuff weā€™ve gotten in the past.

2 Likes

yeah soken is amazing with music, his songs are the highlight of ffxiv for me and the main reason I wanted to play xvi but every time they say something new about it I wanna play less. at least xiv is in its ffiv fanservice storyline so I can be pandered to

3 Likes
2 Likes

Clive Rosefield

Clive Staples Rosefield

1 Like

June 22nd.

1 Like

The demo is out on PS5! Iā€™m downloading it now.

2 Likes

Alright, so the demo is straight-up the first few hours of the game. I just played for about an hour. Watched a bunch of cutscenes, saw the world map, did a little mini-area, fought some lil guys, a midboss, and a boss.

I have to say, this game made a VERY strong first impression! Itā€™s great so far! My expectations were low from the trailers but manā€¦ Actually playing it is a whole other story.

This is the best Final Fantasy action combat theyā€™ve ever done, by a mile (at least, of the ones Iā€™ve played). Itā€™s not, like, FROMsoft level, but it actually feels good to control. The actions your character can take are limited in a good way (you can actually intentionally control the action rather than just mash buttons until things happen). And the combat can actually be visually parsed and makes sense (low bar I know, but FFXV did NOT clear this for me, lol). Youā€™re not constantly pausing to scroll through all your magic spells like in FF7R. You can pause to use items but you donā€™t have to ā€“ you can map them to the D-pad. In the combat I played through, I did everything in real time. I canā€™t believe it, I actually like this battle system!

So far the writing is pretty good! It does feel very, very Game of Thrones so far, but itā€™s well-executed and there is a bit of fun Final Fantasy color mixed in there (first boss fight is a Morbol).

Absolutely gorgeous game, too. Very pleasing architecture and interesting looking spaces rendered in extremely high fidelity. The money is all up there on the screen, itā€™s wild! I think this is the most next-gen feeling game Iā€™ve played on the PS5.

Music is great, sort of carries forward the style of FFXIV though so far itā€™s taking itself much more seriously. Really the whole game is very serious so far, not a lot of levity. Well, the plot is, at least. All the items have fun little descriptions that are very goofy and legit amusing. Similar voice to the silly item descriptions in FFXIV actually. It works!

Menus are really pretty, well-animated, and feel great to navigate. Thereā€™s a lot of extra pizazz that didnā€™t need to be there, like little 16 bit pixel portraits of all party members, that sort of thing.

At first I had no fucking idea what was going on in this game. The intro scenes are VERY in medias res to the point that I felt absolutely unmooredā€¦ But then it flashbacks to what seems to be the main narrative and things become much, much easier to follow.

One feature I wasnā€™t sure about at first but Iā€™ve come to appreciate: During cutscenes, you can press the center touchscreen button thingy to pause and get a little concept web with relevant characters, places, and ideas on it. You can select one to get a brief paragraph or two of lore explanation. Itā€™s really useful at times, and everything is written concisely and engagingly enough that I actually like reading through it. Iā€™m really not the type of guy to enjoy going through lore stuff so thatā€™s a high compliment.

Iā€™m getting pretty jazzed about this game, I have to say! My orientation toward it just went from ā€œeh, see what people think, maybe get it when itā€™s on sale in a few yearsā€ to ā€œfuck, Iā€™m pre-ordering this.ā€

24 Likes

Oh yeah also there is SO much cursing in this Final Fantasy game. Itā€™s hilarious. A dude is screaming ā€œOH FUCK FUCK FUCKā€ before getting crushed to death by Titan. lmao. Itā€™s trying to be edgy but at least itā€™s funny.

Iā€™ll give it some credit though, itā€™s not going full-on annoying, cutesy, ā€œlook at us weā€™re swearing now!!ā€ And itā€™s not twitter-brained either. Like, thereā€™s a lot of cursing but it generally feels pretty natural, like itā€™s written in ways that people actually do curse IRL. Itā€™s not like Deathloopā€™s dialogueā€¦ Nobody is calling anything ā€œfuckcrustableā€ or whatever.

13 Likes

Mildly optimistic hearing your analysis of the combat but still a little worried boss encounters will just end up being bullet sponges without any real strategy or skill involved. I get worried whenever a combat system features a bunch of particle effects and numbers flying around everywhere.

2 Likes

The mid-boss I fought felt like it was appropriately balanced, but the actual boss definitely felt like a bit of a damage sponge. It went on a little too long (though maybe if I were better at the combat it would have gone quicker). They did try to switch it up and keep it interesting by mixing in little simple QTEs on occasion. QTEs are nobodyā€™s favorite thing, but it seemed to me (at least so far) like there are only two kinds of QTE (attack and dodge), and each of those always uses the same button. So at least youā€™re not stuck frantically glancing at your controller to remember which button is triangle. And they did result in pretty fun to watch little action cutscenes.