FGC##201Xrd Reload[st] - Now on Steam! (Part 1)

This EVO panel is straight up the best explanation I’ve seen of rollback netcode especially if you are non-technical.

1 Like

How wobbly must their QA dept be to have had to resort to this expensive fix

For whatever it’s worth:

Translation sites suck, but it kind of sounds like he says in other tweets that it would have been hard for him to go to SNK to test the new build so Yasuyuki Oda decided to send someone to him instead.

I don’t get how a fighting game dev isn’t testing lag time. It doesn’t even make sense. How do you tweak the amount of frames for button inputs and stuff-----and not test the input lag.

This is like when AMD had major frame-time issues with their video cards and it turned out that they hadn’t been testing frame-times during driver development. And all it took was a couple of driver updates to set it straight.

review copy stream of samsho happening right now
https://www.twitch.tv/nerdjosh

Yeah, it sounds like personalities and influencer types were given copies today. Ruixiang’s puddle looks like it’s going to be annoying as heck for characters without projectiles.

As a reminder, the game comes out next week and if you buy it before June 30, I think, you get the season pass for free.

Just noticed you posted this earlier. I know there have been rumors since a long time ago but Rimuru was also a little bit of a safe bet based on popularity and also how much screentime she’s been getting in mobile games. Iroha’s probably a safe bet too. But if I remember correctly the rumor was: Rimururu, Basara, Iroha, and a new character.

Testing frame delay requires very specialized customized hardware (you can find info somewhere on wydd’s twitter on how he made his) and knowledge, so just knowing something’s wrong is tricky, not to mention the way many modern engine optimizations work around GPU synchronization points by spreading the parallelized workload over several frames, deliberately introduces more frame delay to get better frame rates. More delay can also be induced by some predictive animation systems.

In other words, for a certain kind of dev it’s normal for input delay to be huge as it facilitates solving a number of problems, but they don’t even really see it that way, it’s just a natural thing for them, and even veterans may be tricked into it because back then low input delay wasn’t something to consider, you just got it for free due to how things worked and now higher input delay is the default behavior.

@Drem On one hand I respect the way Flappy Fighter streamlined the fighting game formula into an interesting mobile-friendly thing, on the other I have nothing but disdain for the fact it has rights to neither Flappy Bird nor Street Fighter yet owes much of its popularity and quality from the fact it rips off both, down to its name.

Yes I know that stuff. But my question to the universe is why aren’t fighting game devs testing input delay.

Its generally public knowledge that the PS4 itself is about 4 frames of delay at best, to do its processing and rendering. The Samsho devs were basically able to completely eliminate any extra delay. They should be testing this stuff.

Nah, there are several games that still have less input lag. Koihime is below even 2 frames.

https://twitter.com/WydD/status/1140756676846469120

Well ok then!

4 frames as a rule for PS4 was something I’d seen in a few fighting game discussions. Guess its mis-info or maybe engine specific.

Rule of thumb is one frame to process and render, and one for the system to bring it to the screen. That’s technically as good as you can get, but of course that means your entire game update including rendering must take less than 16 milliseconds, which can be a tall order.

As for your question of “why aren’t they testing for lag?”, again, the answer is “they don’t know they should be”. My answer wasn’t about why there’s lag but why, culturally, they don’t even know they should care. It’s like the rollback thing: every competitive player will tell you it’s obviously important, but on the dev side it’s taken a lot of work to even be informed that it is.

1 Like

someone bought me UNIST for my birthday and i ended up maining Eltnum, so i really want to get into melty blood now instead

1 Like

Ah, so this is why SamSho5 SP suddenly got updated with rollback netcode on consoles. It just got released on Steam. I guess they improved the online play for this port and then transferred the changes over to the console versions as well.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1076550/SAMURAI_SHODOWN_V_SPECIAL/

1 Like

Anyone else playing MK11 on Xbox? I want to chill out with you

it rules so much. i haven’t played UNIST tho

I honestly knew very little about it other than one or two combo videos. I had assumed it was some sort of tapping game like Flappy Bird but I guess it just has bird head people? Or fish head people? Or something?

Oh, and the final boss for Samurai Shodown leaked out today from someone who didn’t get the memo on the early copies. Spoilers: they look super rad. https://i.imgur.com/n3v5lXl.jpg

1 Like

It’s got both bird heads and fish heads. Basically they took Ryu’s sprite and pasted flappy bird over its head, then did the same thing with a mario fish for the second fighter. I’d expect nothing less from the maker of games such as “red iron man”. I’ll give them credit for pixeling new versions of the sprites though.

Anyway, what’s interesting is it condensed the controls down to 4 buttons and only left/right directions, with some of the moves doubling as jumps or dashes and some having near/far versions in ways that extend the moveset (for example button 3 is a punch when close but a fireball from afar). Systems-wise it’s a legit fighting game, and I can’t wait to see someone pick up the formula using actual original characters or legitimately licensed ones.

If they get in trouble over the name they should re-title it Bird Strike

8 Likes

Million Arthur Arcana Blood’s western steam release suddenly came out today with no warning. It was announced at Evo Japan but there was no news since then. It’s $40 on steam but I got it for $32 on GreenManGaming.

It’s based on a Square Enix mobile game but it also has cameo character with Riesz from Trials of Mana/Seiken Densetsu 3, Iori from King of Fighters, and one more character from Lord of Vermillion 3. Developed by Examu/Team Arcana (I’m not sure what name they go by now), it’s actually pretty good. It’s an airdasher but I’d say it’s easier to play than a lot of other similar games while still having a lot of variety between the characters themselves and the assist system. It’s probably most similar to Nitroplus Blasterz in feel and mechanics but it goes in some different directions rather than just building off of NP’s systems, and it’s not quite as silly.

2 Likes

Samurai Shodown season 1 characters announced: Rimururu, Basara, Kazuki, and Wan-Fu. Those last two are pretty surprising! I’ve never cared for Wan-Fu since he’s just a big naked dude but the other three are good, and all of them have a good variety of playstyles between them. The PS blog link has more details on them. As a reminder, the season pass is free if you get the game by June 30th.

1 Like