FGC##201Xrd Reload[st] - Now on Steam! (Part 1)

Considering how much remembering what moves characters have is something everybody picks up naturally as they play fighting games, since you’ll see them so often and it’s important to playing against any character in any game, it’s not quite as bad as it sounds. But the biggest assistant to just intuiting what strength a move is is by the rhythm of the auto-doubles (lights hit quicker, heavies hit slower) and the sound effects (lights sound lighter, heavies sound heavier). Auto-doubles by their nature are always two moves of the same strength so the first hit lets you know what strength the second hit is going to be and you can aim to combo-breaker that (of course that means your opponent could be more likely to counter-breaker on the second hits too). Even if you don’t know what a characters’ moves are going into a match you can use those two things to to figure what you’re being hit by. And of course specials hit a different amount of times depending on the strength so if you see a move is still going after the first hit you’ve now got a 50/50 chance of getting it right! And 100% after that if you’re vigilant (again, could be counter-breaker bait as with any easy-to-break sequences). I can’t recall if there’s any visual indicator aside from just one moving looking stronger than another.

No one turns Hit Effects on in DOA5 but although some moves can be tricky to tell what height they hit just from their animations (low, mid, high) the hit effects actually signal the attack height. A white mist shoots downward, forward, or upward based on the attack height which is very useful for picking up on how to counter strings.

What is the deal with the animations in these games? They are uniquely rigid and stiff, but in such a quickly identifiably Mortal Kombat way. Someone is doing this on purpose, a whole team of people.

What’s going on here, who can break this down?

KI pushes the same buttons slightly differently. Maybe it’s movements happening too fast?

Why do all these super heroes have to wear intricately detailed PVC body armor? Who is responsible for this reality?

Trying to get through the end of this story mode

What kind of personality is the Pope lady performing? A childish one? Teenage girl? A super idiotic-sounding jokester? It’s supposed to be the complete opposite of her popely deference, right?

I don’t get it. I wonder how an English VA would approach that characterization if they got the role.

Whenever she makes her stupid faces, I can only think of those MMD videos where they try to recreate live action videos with hugely exaggerated expressions.

Oh, maybe it’s closer to “stupid internet troll” except more cutesy? She keeps doing slight chuckles at everything and it’s super obnoxious and I wish I could mute just her and her stupid skull-paint totally-not-Joker face.

Also this bugs me: why does Sol have a different outfit in story mode than ingame? He’s got a jacket on through the entirety of the story but ingame it’s just his classic look with the bare arms.

Is he gonna tear the jacket off at the end or something? Will he turn and face the camera and then shout, “YOU WERE THE GUILTY GEAR ALL ALONG!!!”?

2 Likes

This story is so stupid anime

Bad guy could’ve won anytime she wanted but just waited because DBZ

And now stakes are raised arbitrarily because some other rando is a dick. BUT POLITICS SAVES THE DAY!!! Except it doesn’t and deus ex machinas do, oops

Or should I say Desu Ex Machinas?

Why did anyone do anything?
Stakes were raised and raised and raised and people were arbitrarily evil except they weren’t, everyone is redeemed in their own way and everyone gets their shining moment because of course you need it and then kyaa-booms and gruff men do gruff men stuff and yay everyone lives except the bad guys who are all dead-dead and then the good guys have a manly fight because this is a fighting game hotblooded manfight yay

I’m pretty sure Ariels’s script notations read “You know that American comic book movie character, The Joker?”

Pretty much certain this game’s story was drastically rewritten/abridged from whatever was planned when they saw how bad the numbers for Sign were

Mika runs super fast and has a command grab. Her whiff punishes are going to be annoying to deal with!

You forget how small most of the cast of DFC actually are until you see someone with their height up against normal adult-sized characters.

I forgot they patched in the full console version of Training Mode into the arcade version. Funny watching the Gordeau player set up 1-guard jump to test things.

Hitstun animations on your character are different for light, medium, heavy. If you look at your own character during a combo. You can tell by the animation what strength attacks the opponent is using. At the same time it’s not a fool proof method because your opponents linker frames vary as well. Versus Aganos or Tusk? It’s pretty easy to tell since they have very, very long linker frames even on lights. Against Kim-Wu or Orchid? They are a lot trickier to read since they have quicker frames and Orchid has some very nasty linker flurries. Against Hisako? She’s got a character trait that lets her delay linker hits so even if you get the right strength, she can still lock you out on a timing flub if she delays her linker hit.

It’s a small intricacy, but it’s a useful tool for learning your character.

Is Akatsuki viable in UNIEL? I plan to grab it for PC as soon as it’s released and enjoyed playing with Akatsuki in Blitzkampf (though my main was Amazing Fundamentals Fritz), but he looks like bringing fists to a Nasu fight.

That’s an accurate assessment. He’s not awful but he has an uphill struggle against pretty much everyone because of his (comparatively) stubby limbs.

But hey, he’s top tier in Late[st]! Who knows what’s happening in the upcoming balance patch though.

Anyone want to play terrible last blade 2 online ps4 just send Tokyo_Rude a message.

I heard the port had issues like random slowdown and, more importantly, no heat haze effect on that one stage. Have those been fixed?

Trouble whiff punishing in SF5 could be due to the input lag nonsense, but I never liked the movement speed in KI. Since the walk speeds are so slow it felt footsies at a medium to long range weren’t as interesting. I felt like regular walking movement was the weaker part of the footsies so rather than being able to specifically bait something at mid-range the game gives characters options to quickly close the distance and start a setup or mixup. There is absolutely ginomourse ranges on a lot of normals and you can convert any lunging special move into a full combo. It’s a different style of play.

Can you guys name some FG with gold character select screens? I’m looking for some with nice ones and lots of characters. All I can think are CVS and KoF

Why have I never heard of this? Majestic.

2 Likes

Heartbreaking.

Also look at these secret pix:

The cast is awesome to see but the 2 screens are ancient fakes, iIrc the Mr.Karate is a KOF Ryo sprite with no shading differences

(It should skip to 1:38)

UNIST 3.10 change list: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B05szmR2yYh4MWtoVVU0cmp2cXM/view

I like how it’s becoming more normal for change lists to also include the reasons for the changes. Some bits are lost on me though and I’m not sure if it’s just a grammar thing or I’m not thinking right. Like, the CrossCast Veil Off paragraph loses me after the “Hence”. In general though the system changes are made to tone down combo damage and promote more neutral game. The ability to gain up to two GRD while taking damage is interesting in that it can potentially force a turn switch between players whereas in UNIEL if the attacking player had advantage in GRD they would retain this advantage after the combo (unless it was spent on CS or something).

Buffs for everyone! Y’all better watch out for my Waldstein’s now-jump-attack-invincible 3C.