EVERYBODY VOTES 2 PART I: THE SELECTBUTTON.NET TOP 64 VIDCONS 2020 (voting closes september 15, 2020, midnight cst!!)

oh yeah one of the best things about ffxiv is how much you hate it

2 Likes

I do think people should play Final Fantasy XIV, because I play it, and it is fun to run dungeons, chop down trees, and visit brothels (but make sure to use protection or you too may end up getting saddled with The Worldā€™s Greatest Burden)

5 Likes
5 Likes

all you anti-PC gaming console hipsters on here are going to trounce the original Deus Ex and iā€™m just going to have to sit here and take it. i donā€™t like it!!

these are the only ones i care about

STREET FIGHTER III THIRD STRIKE: FIGHT FOR THE FUTURE
vs.
CONTRA: HARD CORPS

iā€™ll say Contra Hard Corps because iā€™m not a huge Street Fighter person and that doesnā€™t seem like itā€™s one of the better Street Fighters anyway

YAKUZA 0
vs.
SUPER METROID

iā€™m going to vote for Yakuza 0 just because i think Super Metroid is overplayed

NIGHTS INTO DREAMS
vs.
SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 2

iā€™ll vote Sonic 2 just because i think thatā€™s the best Sonic game and invariably it might have to match up against Mario.

GAME BOY CAMERA
vs.
DEUS EX

Deus Ex, because itā€™s a game and not the gimmicky answer thatā€™s going to win with the anti-PC gaming crowd here.

IKARUGA
vs.
FINAL FANTASY XIV

Ikaruga, cuz i donā€™t know what other Treasure games are in here. that said i donā€™t care that much about Ikaruga compared to some of their other games.

4 Likes

gameboy camera isnt a gimmick itā€™s that fucking good

also everyone here plays games on computers but me and loki, I think thats an old sb thing

8 Likes

Declaring R&D1 the most beloved development studio of Select Button, based on this poll, even though I havenā€™t crunched the numbers, but they did Super Metroid and Wario Ware and Game Boy Camera and a Tetris and also they never developed any icky PC games so theyā€™re clearly easily the best.

8 Likes

I have played a lot of both GameBoy Camera and Deus Ex and I honestly think Camera has aged pretty well in comparison. It legit got me into actual photography and creative projects and I have much stronger memories of playing it than Deus Ex.

Deus Ex is an incredible game and a miracle that it is so good given that it kinda began as a side project at Ion Storm. It has a lot going for it in terms of narrative structure, secret interactions, character choice, and music. Ultimately I feel like it has more to justify here than Camera. Itā€™s in an established genre and while its among the best of that genre it still has flaws. Some of the NPC voice acting is atrocious. The Area 51 section kinda made the games themes feel a bit deflated for me. Like I get it plays with conspiracy theories but it gets kinda goofy by that point. The visuals are also poor (even for the year it came out) which is a shallow complaint but itā€™s not easy for a series beginner to stomach and is an issue in comparison (even to a Gameboy game).

Iā€™d need a really good case made to switch my vote but Iā€™d be open to it. Like I say, Deus Ex has some incredible moments and thereā€™s arguments here beyond it just being a PC rep. What makes this game the game?

5 Likes

Iā€™ll play along with Metal Slug 6 romhack and even Everybody Votes but Game Boy Camera is where I draw my line in the sand. You canā€™t come back from voting for Game Boy Camera over Deus Ex.

5 Likes

Because of my 2000s nostalgic/arrested development console fetishism Iā€™m going to play the PS2 port. I think thereā€™s something to be said for consolization making PC games more accessible/approachable to us console plebs. I gave up on making DXPC (at least in its Steam form) playable to me. I donā€™t want to have to download mods and tweak ini files to wrench an ideal experience out of an old highly regarded game sometimes and this might be one of those times.

1 Like

i played minecraft in middle school when it was in beta. building things felt slow and frustrating compared to fucking around in rpg maker and now it has hunger mechanics and has to be reattributed to hatsune miku. i havenā€™t played much sf ii but you can be a cute girl in it and thereā€™s a chance it wouldnā€™t leave me feeling hollow.

im one of the only people here to encounter metal slug 6 in the wild. itā€™s still the only metal slug iā€™ve played, and i went into it assuming it was legit. by the end it was pretty clear that it wasnā€™t and it left me feeling vaguely dissapointed that i didnā€™t get to experience the cool art for longer on a more engaging game. but most of my experience with crazy taxi is of the offspring drowning out the game im playing at the arcade and that has left a deep resentment. metal slug 6

i am terrible at puyo despite my best efforts as a small child but i have strong memories of the cute characters giving me Trans Feelings as a kid and i have way more faith in puyo than democracy. puyo

undecided

one of the crueler choices in this bracket, i think, but super metroid is more aesthetically interesting to me and has great speedrunning potential even if it feels kind of clunky in casual play and the search action format has kind of lost its lustre. yakuza 0 would be better if it was more focused on majima or, even better, miss tatsu.

nights into dreams is the weirder, jankier, more selectbutton pick. but sonic 2 still feels good to play and is too personal to me. sonic 2.

abstaining

mostly im bitter that ikaruga is the sole shmup representative and not zeroranger. i am mentally slotting zeroranger at rank zero on this list in protest. ff xiv has done more for the queers than anything else on this list and itā€™s also the only contestant im actively looking forward to playing. also, ikaruga wonā€™t let you get gay catgirl married. easy pick

14 Likes

100%, this is that gameā€™s biggest problem. Kiryuā€™s stuff felt flatter by comparison.

2 Likes

personally I hate all audio/visual games on all available platforms equally

6 Likes

As a long time series vet, it makes me sad that Yak 0 is the only one on this list, and that it led to the shitshow that is Kiwami 1. Making Majima into a zany sidekick instead of Kiryuā€™s genuinely dangerous sociopath friend is sad to me.

Lots of this list does little for me.

Cantankerous old man opinions done for now.

4 Likes

super turbo because street fighter owns and this oneā€™s broken as fuck and that makes it fun

metal slug because it is a thing of wonder, especially when you start mission 1 and the announcer says ā€œmission 4 start!ā€

everybody votes because EVERBODY VOTES

third strike because it is the best fighting game

going with yakuza 0 because it is a loving tribute to sega in late 80s japan

controversy: picking nights. sonic 2 owns, but itā€™s not my favorite sonic, and nights has an aesthetic that i adore

game boy camera because it is a joyful piece of hardware and i am anti political correctness

ikaruga because i donā€™t have to spend two hours walking back and forth talking to two guys and occasionally shooting rocks at giant bees

5 Likes

Amen.

3 Likes

I tried. I tried.

I played many hours of Minecraft on my own and have now played many hours of it with my children. Watching them use it as an outlet for creativity has often been delightful, especially as my older kid has devised and executed redstone machines using his own engineer brain. Itā€™s also a game where all you do is attach cubes to other cubes and have to sit through extremely boring half-assed survival mechanics, or, if you decide not to, it becomes a totally frictionless, hugely limited art program with an incredibly frustrating UI.

Turbo is a game Iā€™ve played for a few minutes here and there over my entire lifespan and I can still summon its characters, music and sfx to mind without preparation. I have no interest in fighting games whatsoever and can only acknowledge the interest other people have in them from an extremely far, almost imperceptible distance. All the things fighting games do are all the things I do not at all care about in videogames. I like watching Evo streams with sbers.

Vote to Turbo.

Metal Slug 3 without bullet sponge enemies sounds like a wondrous gem made just for me. I donā€™t care about Sega games.

Vote to Metal Slug 6.

I dunno what the fuck Everybody Votes is. Competitive action puzzle games are basically fighting games and I have the same lack of interest in them described above. But itā€™s fun to watch someone else play them at a high level.

Vote to Puyo.

Because I was trying to put some PC balance on this list the obviously best and superior Contra game, Contra 3 on SNES, didnā€™t even make it to the bracket. I have to vote Hard Corps out of penance at a minimum.

Vote to Hard Corps.

Super Metroid is probably the best game on the SNES and it certainly is the Most SNES Game. Miss me with that Metroid 2 is better stuff, I need that focused, integrated maximalism. I donā€™t care about Sega.

Vote to Super Metroid.

I donā€™t care about Sega.

Vote to Nights

Iā€™m not even going to sit here and justify this. If you choose a damn camera over Deus Ex, you donā€™t care about gaming as a medium. You just care about shit like, having joy and happiness in your life, creating neat little aesthetic objects that brighten your day, and interacting with the outside world. What misery.

Vote to Deus Ex.

MMOs cannot be celebrated.

Vote to Ikaruga.

13 Likes
7 Likes

Fuck Windows games, DOS and Amiga only

7 Likes

Look I learned to play e1m1 on the lute in Lord of the Rings Online but that didnā€™t make it a good game

2 Likes

I havenā€™t even scraped the surface of what makes ffxiv a good game

4 Likes