EVERYBODY VOTES 2 PART I: THE SELECTBUTTON.NET TOP 64 VIDCONS 2020 (voting closes september 15, 2020, midnight cst!!)

in this thread: discuss the first round of matchups! voting on these matchups opens september 8 2020, midnight cst, and ends september 15 2020 at midnight!

the bracket:

THE FIRST 8:

• MINECRAFT
  • SUPER STREET FIGHTER II TURBO

0 voters

• CRAZY TAXI
  • METAL SLUG 6 (Metal Slug 3 romhack)

0 voters

• EVERYBODY VOTES
  • PUYO PUYO series

0 voters

• STREET FIGHTER III THIRD STRIKE: FIGHT FOR THE FUTURE
  • CONTRA: HARD CORPS

0 voters

• YAKUZA 0
  • SUPER METROID

0 voters

• NIGHTS INTO DREAMS
  • SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 2

0 voters

• GAMEBOY CAMERA
  • DEUS EX

0 voters

• IKARUGA
  • FINAL FANTASY XIV

0 voters

edit: and here’s a reminder that this is a double elimination bracket! everything that loses here will live on to fight another day in the loser’s bracket!

18 Likes

HEAVEN OR HELL
LET’S ROCK

6 Likes

where the hell is snood

7 Likes

Any vote against Everybody Votes is a Vote against Democracy

Game Boy Camera vs Deus Ex is the matchup I’m most conflicted about

5 Likes

Yakuza 0 vs Super Metroid is cruel

4 Likes

Game Boy Camera is an open world game…in real life…seems like an easy choice to me…

5 Likes

Ugh. Deus Ex and Game Boy Camera both mean the same thing in Latin so this’ll be tough.

17 Likes

To make things easier on myself, I’m voting against any game where I have issues due to my color deficiency.

Granted, that only eliminates Puyo and Metroid 3, so I’m gonna have to come up with actual reasons for everything else.

4 Likes

minecraft, because while super turbo was important, it’s just not as fun as like, a million other fighting games

crazy taxi, because i haven’t played fake metal slug 6. oops~

puyo puyo series because wtf is everybody votes

third strike because it’s one of those million other fighting games that’s more fun than super turbo

yakuza 0 because super metroid is good, but it’s not yakuza good

nights into dreams because the special stages in sonic 2 are the worst in the series

game boy camera because i say so

ikaruga, even though it’s not even that good, because at least it’s not a mmo

:put_litter_in_its_place:

5 Likes

Alright here we go, my argument for each of these:

MINECRAFT
vs.
SUPER STREET FIGHTER II TURBO

Minecraft is the clear winner here, for me. Street Fighter is a good time with friends, and a passion for some. Minecraft is the game I would take with me to a desert island so that I could build and see wondrous things. In a world where the sublime is hard to come by, Minecraft seems to nail it constantly…and mostly on accident. Wonderful game.

(I don’t like fighting games)

CRAZY TAXI
vs.
METAL SLUG 6 (Metal Slug 3 romhack)

Metal Slug 6 is the only ROM hack to make it on this list so I have to vote for it even though I absolutely love Crazy Taxi. Also, Crazy Taxi only ever gave me a Class B License but I’m an excellent driver so fuck off

EVERYBODY VOTES
vs.
PUYO PUYO series

Can’t say it any better than Tulpa:

STREET FIGHTER III THIRD STRIKE: FIGHT FOR THE FUTURE
vs.
CONTRA: HARD CORPS

I don’t like either of these games, abstaining

YAKUZA 0
vs.
SUPER METROID

Yakuza is for perverts. Super Metroid is for perverts who are willing to learn how to speedrun the game. Super Metroid wins.

NIGHTS INTO DREAMS
vs.
SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 2

Hmm. Nights Into Dreams is a big reason Sonic Adventure exists in the form that it does…but Sonic the Hedgehog 2 has dope music and I’ve actually played it. I think I’m going to have to go Nights Into Dreams though, because one time my dad threw the controller on the last boss of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and it froze the Genesis, a scene which further ingrained in me that anger is the only valid emotion.

Nights into Dreams!!

GAME BOY CAMERA
vs.
DEUS EX

Can Deus Ex do this?

Game Boy Camera wins

IKARUGA
vs.
FINAL FANTASY XIV

No

10 Likes

shoot-them-ups are the lowest form of videogame, final fantasy xiv forever

6 Likes

Because I was a Sega kid am only voting for the Sega-developed games in this set.

Crazy Taxi over Metal Slug 6 because arcade Sega will always win over my heart.

Puyo Puyo over Everybody Votes because it is a Sega-owned series now even though I can’t play them and only appreciate them as aesthetic objects.

Minecraft over SF2T, agreeing with VastleCania that it would be my desert island world-creation game even though I’ve spent no more than about 10 minutes in a prefab world and never played it again.

Ikaruga over FF14 because of my shmup bias.

GB Camera over Deus Ex because I struggled to play and enjoy Deus Ex as the emergent open-ended FPS I wanted it to be.

Nights into Dreams over Sonic 2, even though the Sonic Adventure pinball game is the only Nights-adjacent segment of gameplay I enjoy regularly, because the back half of Sonic 2 is a slog and S3K is better.

Yakuza 0 over Super Metroid because I’m that kind of pervert.

And Contra over 3S because I can’t play fighters.

Did you mean to say 'beat ‘em up’

5 Likes

RIP forum

6 Likes

"beat 'em and eat 'em"s

1 Like

Easy voting : - __)

3 Likes

it’ll suck if super turbo loses to the dumb nazi java thing

4 Likes

looking at the brackets, at least whichever game wins it loses to katamari damacy

3 Likes

Yes, I think Katamari Damacy renders that first match irrelevant.

Similar situation with NiGHTS vs. Sonic. I like NiGHTS better than Sonic, but who can stand before Demon’s Souls in the next round?

Rez or FF6 going on to face Dark Souls, on the other hand, is a tough one. My instinct is to go with Rez, but I just don’t know.

As much as I like Baba Is You, it has to be Bubble Bobble for that one.

I can’t do Silent Hill vs. Klonoa.

Edit: Oh, I was looking at the first column in the tree and not this thread, and I guess some of the ones I mentioned are not up quite yet.

2 Likes

Oh yeah Minecraft or Street Fighter is gonna lose to Katamari, but which one will be the WORSE GAME?? There are 64 vidcons to decide here, not just the ultimate winner!!

3 Likes