Every Extend Extra! Extra! (News Thread)

I lost it at “The Pool” shot. This is a game made by degenerates.

11 Likes

seeing a game like this gives me the feeling we’re in for a good console generation

4 Likes

God I was ready to scoff but that trailer hyped me up, what’s a word in a foreign language for feeling simultaneously owned and blessed

1 Like

i’m not endorsing those gymshorts, absolutely disgusting

1 Like

Will we ever be free of the Bayonetta dodge?

5 Likes

excuse me, the Raiden Flipper

18 Likes

dunno how many people here follow this/care but the Independent Game Festival nominees were announced today:

Inscryption and Cruelty Squad are nominated for Grand Prize, along with some other stuff. i’m also really happy with the Nuovo nominees this year

9 Likes

Either go full Raiden or return to the DMC3 Trickster dodge animation, IMO.

Interesting seeing Eternal Cylinder get so many noms. Was curious to check it out but dropped off my radar. Anyone play it?

It’s more linear than it ought to be for too long, but it’s lovely and weird and easily my favorite Ace Team game. The cylinder that provides system and resource pressure was too temping to be used to fit the game into a propelling narrative, in favor of a more open Tokyo Jungle game with clear lose conditions.

Still, while it should have been better, it was one of my favorites from last year.

1 Like

I might need to dive into the Nuovo awards rather than Grand Prize nominees this year. I’ve played two out of six of those nominees and they aren’t instilling much confidence. Then I look at screenshots of Nuovo nominees and I feel restored.

1 Like

let me know if you want specific recommendations! i’ve been on that jury multiple times. and a lot of that stuff is shorter or experimental games that probably aren’t a lot of peoples cup of tea or whatever… but obviously i like them

2 Likes

One thing I like about the Japan Top 100 list is that The Legend of Zelda is on it but A Link to the Past is not. In the West, NES games rarely eclipse their SNES sequels in the minds of the public. In most cases I prefer the originals.

The Legend of Zelda > A Link to the Past
Metroid > Super Metroid
Castlevania > Super Castlevania IV

12 Likes

I would love recommendations. I really appreciate experimental work because of how it wrestles with fundamental questions of games design. It also tends to be personal and specific which are two traits that I think are undervalued.

3 Likes

okay great! i’ll have to pull together a more extensive list of experimental games sometime.

2 Likes

One of the Nuovo nominations going to the third game in a series (Space Hole 2020) feels a bit funky, but the first Space Hole was fun so good to get more eyes on it.

liz thread liz thread liz thread liz thread

6 Likes

i think 2020 was the first of the three to be submitted to the IGF, so that’s why. actually several devs (i.e. Outlands, Jeremy Couillard and others) who have made stuff for awhile submitted something to this one for the first time for whatever reason.

i def will make a thread, though it’s also a big undertaking to do an experimental games list so i’m gonna have to think about what arbitrary restrictions should be imposed on it.

7 Likes

losing it rly hard over how they called it the Konami Memorial Series like they all fucking died or something

19 Likes

Learned not only about Space Hole 2020 through this, but Space Hole 2018 and Space Hole 2016!

1 Like