entrapment tactics

also I just learned that you need to recruit the sex pest and do his paralogue to get a weapon that gives Lys way more range

I had him join me without wanting to and I couldn’t stand him so much that his paralogue was the only one I skipped :frowning:

I actually got used to playing games only in English, because 10-20 years ago a lot of French translations were based on the English translation instead of the Japanese original and the quality suffered a lot as a result
I should change that habit now that it’s over!

« Chevalier macabre » is extremely good, usually those are translated as « chevalier noir »

3 Likes

I’ve been surprised to find all the teachers / later recruits I recruited worth using, and I should probably ditch Caspar / Ferdinand / Bernadetta for them

Shamir is completely overpowered and just does triple the damage of the Bernadetta I’ve religiously fed exp to since the beginning of the game like it’s nothing

Manuela just get levels on her own by using Silence and Ward and she eventually gets access to the ridiculous Warp

Hanneman has high magic and great spells, but low speed. Admittedly a massive weakness, but he can do damage from safety. I’ve had an easier time with him than with Lys purely thanks to his higher range

I found that Linhardt had a better selection of spells overall than Flayn or Manuela as bishops go, I never got too much use out of those two.

Shamir is real good though, I kept her as a sniper the whole way through while making Bernie a bow knight and they were both mainstays.

Lys is the strongest unit in the game if you get the Thrysus from Lorenz’ paralogue and pump her with a few HP+ and Def+ items to keep her safe, but Dorothea has even better range, Thoron and Meteor together probably played the biggest part in making battles manageable for me, especially because I had Petra following her around as a Dancer for the entire second half of the game

I’m glad this game is a commercial success -
There’s a lot of heart put into it! It feels genuine! I’ve always liked the older Fire Emblem but since the past 20 years, each game in this series has been less charming than the one before

From the wildly ambitious Snes games

• to the simplified but cute and effective GBA games
  • then to the uglier, drab GC / Wii game
  • to the honestly grotesque DS games
  • to the unpleasant sleazy anime Awakening
  • to the more unpleasant, more sleazy anime Fates
  • to a bad mobile gatcha game

This series truly was a lost cause

3 Likes

yeah I’m glad I latched on to a few comments from the prerelease media the way I did with pillars 2 and was like “hey, wait a minute…”

it’s been such a good year for revivals of japanese franchises that hadn’t been good for a very long time, this absolutely deserves to be mentioned with DMC5 and AC7

and Intelligent Systems themselves hadn’t been good since like 2004

1 Like

really it’s been such an unexpected consideration in terms of my life trajectory that a lot of regular-ass videogames which I’d rated as objectively worsening and gladly walked away from years ago now have, as you say, so much genuine effort put into them

1 Like

Not a fan of Pushmo/Crashmo/Stretchmo I take it?

1 Like

i was really not expecting Sylvain and Bernadetta to have adorable support convos, this game continues to surprise

also i am regretting playing on normal as i seem to have accidentally overleveled a bit and every fight is a cakewalk ;_; the last FE game i played had a lot more teeth than this so i was afraid of hard mode, and you can only adjust difficulty downwards once you start a save

oh yeah normal would be too easy, hard is actually just right

ya i think i was expecting the stuff that made me quit playing Fire Emblem (GBA)? in that i wound up having to restart every fight 2 or 3 times because generic enemies would randomly crit & kill my tankiest units. i didn’t want to get frustrated and quit this after like 6 story battles lol

i’m hoping that when some more unit types show up it’ll try to trip me up more. right now “send armored knight sylvain into a crowd of like 5 guys, watch while he takes 0-1 damage and counters for 20 while everyone else picks off the stragglers” is solving every situation :\

Does this one not have any compelling reason to level up people other than your main knight? Like the tank problem was always there in FE games (the mounted knights), but they plateaued the knights early enough that not levelling everyone else would be a problem just for doing damage.

i was drunk when picking a house so i accidentally chose fascism sorry everyone

1 Like

big mood that every student in this class appears to have a hatred of eachother that goes from completely casual disdain to absolute contempt

1 Like

I’m at the end of the game and am going to marry the most fascist evil guy. Sorry all, I just find him funny

The most important advice I can give about this game is to just let go and give up on lending all those lost items back to their owner. It’s never worth your time, and it’s not your fault everybody’s so careless

2 Likes

mages seem to demolish armor knights and cavalry so i don’t think you can just brute force everything with a single unit? and quite a few fights so far have required splitting into 2 or 3 independent groups so having at least one tank-y unit with each group is a good idea

2 Likes

Good. That was always a weird problem in FE games, in that they would give you a totally dominant unit early on, and of course you would use that unit a ton, but then nobody else would get XP, and eventualy that dominant unit would sorta become not strong (like by level 20, there were other level 20 units what would wreck them), but by the time you found this out, it was too late to do anything about it without some grinding (in the games where that was possible).

the voice cast in this game are putting im incredible work

Turns out you don’t have start thinking IS is back now either.

https://www.dualshockers.com/fire-emblem-three-houses-interview/

So this game marks a joint-development with Koei Tecmo games, in the same vein as Fire Emblem Warriors .

Kusakihara: Yes, FE Warriors had a lot to do with our decision to work with Koei Tecmo on this one.

Yokota: We decided that we wanted to release a Fire Emblem game on Nintendo Switch by the end of 2019 at the latest. However, it was looking like regular development was going to take some extra time, so we looked into getting another developer in the mix in order to shorten the length of production. At pretty much that exact same time, Koei Tecmo was making FE Warriors for us, and as a result of consulting with Mr. Hayashi (head of Koei Tecmo’s Team Ninja), we ended up asking the Kou Shibusawa team to help out. That’s how things went.

Kusakihara: Speaking of the Kou Shibusawa team, they’re well-renowned for making SRPGs – they’re the best of the best. We knew it’d be great if we could get them on board, so we started hashing plans out again. It was only after we decided to work with the Kou Shibusawa team that we considered their sense of world-building with three balanced kingdoms.

That’s interesting. The setting in Three Houses where three different kingdoms are at war is certainly like Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

Kusakihara: In regards to staffing, Intelligent Systems provided Koei Tecmo with a minimum crew of several designers, a music composer, and an adviser to the programmers – not including myself, of course. We then left Koei Tecmo in charge of basic game development.

If you check the official credits for the title , there are a total of 17 people from Intelligent Systems, the rest from Koei Tecmo.

3 Likes