Encounters in Dungeons

So this game is hilarious.

One of my party members got consumed by an Anaconda and I have no idea if I will ever see them again.

Party wipes are brutal and you have to go rescue them but you don’t have a lot of people to do that with so shit is very real right now in my game. I have two rookies trying to make it to floor 12 to meet up with some senior people, bring all of them back to the main base, then set out to find the three non consumed people on 18. This is great. I love it.

10 Likes

i can’t quite believe the level design is literally just That
amazing

1 Like

It’s hilarious. 99 floors of this.

I’m very intrigued by this as a game I can potentially mute and sort of 65% focus on it and 35% focus on listening to my own music of choice. Does this seem like one of those games you can do that with?

3 Likes

You can, definitely, though you gotta pay attention to numbers and battle labels and stuff because they sneak some rough shit in out of nowhere.

3 Likes

If I can do it with Slay the Spire, it sounds like I can probably do it with this one!

2 Likes

Can someone say the name of the game? Sounds cool.

3 Likes

Literally it is just called Dungeon Encounters.

This is not a joke.

2 Likes

oh lol!
I’ll look it up now, tyty.

This is a pretty cool game. Something enjoyable about how obtusively niche it is. How counter intuitive recruiting these two other characters on floor 1 is.
Not quite This Is My Hole, It Was Made For Me, but really well done

I’m up to lvl 94. Every 10 floors there’s a memorable change in level design which makes each strata feel unique and really helps make the game feel less repetitive

The game starts relatively grounded but then slowly goes off the rails as it goes on with no explanation. Good.
I’ve really enjoyed the escalation of death skills; you go from turning enemies to stone, then banishing them, to these :

There’s something inherently satisfying about burying enemies alive or eating them like this, it’s like throwing enemies off bottomless pits in belt scrollers

12 Likes

And God help you if your characters’ levels are prime numbers.

7 Likes

Does anyone know what to do about a consumed character? Are they just dead forever?

This one looks really lovely.

They could have added the ability to cook and eat monsters :grin:

Get revenge on the monster who ate your friend, it might have not fully digested them yet

And equip Unappetizing at all times IMO

1 Like

Oh yeah, obviously now, haha. I had just gotten it and the anti-banished skill, but only had enough for one of them, and thought banished sounded worse. Whoops, haha.

Then that party got wiped while trying to find the monster that consumes the other person, so gonna bet they are gone, lol.

Is the dungeon procedurally generated? Is the game roguesque?

I don’t think it is procedural. Just 99 floors long.

Also Consumed apparently means they will eventually come back alive on the square they were consumed on, which is good.

2 Likes

I picked up this game and it is indeed an excellent way to keep my fingers occupied while listening to music. I love the tabletop feel of it. It has a great sense of mystery too. I’m so hooked on exploring and finding new abilities that change things up.

Floor 13 has a certain memorable encounter that just totally wiped my party, oh god, so nervous about this rescue mission.

2 Likes

Oh I know this encounter and YUP it was anxiety inducing as fuck to get that party back. LOVE IT.

2 Likes

One positive Steam review is saying this is a boiled-down version of Wizardry. And judging by the more negative reviews around it, it’s actually boiled-down and straight-up, not with a huge amount of additional options like for instance Etrian Odyssey. It seems like the way to tell which side of the line you’ll fall is your feelings about old-school dungeon blobbers.

2 Likes