Encounters in Dungeons

Yeah the dungeon is fixed ! Unless the map / math riddles are randomly generated, which I highly doubt.

Combat is simpler compared to other dungeon crawlers, but there’s a higher focus on exploration, which is not immediately apparent. You’ll use exploration abilities like Stairs up / Stairs down a lot, you’ll have to triangulate new / lost party member’s positions using in game coordinates, you’ll solve « map riddles » akin to Red dead redemption’s treasure maps

4 Likes

would actually say it feels more like a minimalist Etrian Odyssey than a Wizardry-a-like but that’s because the mechanics are built around manipulating when and where you have Dungeon Encounters

2 Likes

Dungeon Encounters

7 Likes

Dungeon Encounters

(Delicious in Dungeon Vol. 9)

10 Likes

I’ve made it to floor 40. My team now includes a very good doggo as our leader, and a ninja-ish dude as his back up. We made it through the 30s pretty good, only to get wiped on floor 40. So back to the drawing board to make a B squad to the rescue.

Once you are levelled enough to kill them, Teasure Hunters give you so much money, wow.

2 Likes

Can’t believe they’re still making digital-only PSP games.

12 Likes

I love that the battle music in this game is just “Uemastu, what classical songs do you want to play on your guitar?” and they just let him go with that.

3 Likes

Put a few hours into this today. Immediately muted the music and stuck the tactics OST on youtube instead.

Very into the satisfying number jumps between weapon unlocks in the shop.

Already had to rescue my party twice and I’m only on floor 13. Pure gold.

3 Likes

I am pretty sad this isn’t on iOS

I’m on floor 76 right now and my enthusiasm is starting to wane a bit even though I have the perfect party of Sir Cat, Elva, K-2000, and Jufren

gotta go back and pick up all the map and math riddle treasures (I’ve only gotten 6 each so far but I have the clues for twice as many)

When you get to the floors that have toll tiles I have to advise that you don’t try for floor completion until you find an ability that protects you from them else you’ll be like me and end up with 1 million gold of debt that takes forever to fix.

2 Likes

My party got sucked into a black hole. Now I have an excuse try track down all those cool wanderers.

Getting zero work done from home today.

4 Likes

Thanks for the recommendations! Im really digging this. I just opened up the first teleport. I haven’t had much trouble yet because I made some lucky gear buys early on (that longbow!) and had my team accidentally balanced ahead of time with a mix of both targeted and wide physical and magical attacks to handle those Wizards with their reflect defenses as soon as they joined the mix.

3 Likes

Got my first party wipe on floor 15, and now I’m trying to level only three (I swear I had more) reserves to rescue them. I probably should have more evenly leveled everybody as I went.

1 Like

Nah, this is the true experience not this game.

1 Like

I love the increasingly overpowered movement/map abilities it showers on you. It fakes you out that it’s going to be a well-balanced, steadily-paced RPG at first but gradually reveals more and more ways to utterly break the game

Oops, I forgot to do any dungeon encounters for the entire midgame

5 Likes

More like Math Encounters amirite. Nobody told me this game has like 100 optional math-ish puzzles and that the ultimate late-game enemies are mostly themed around math and physics

8 Likes

That puzzle in the lower left is one of the early ones too!

1 Like

One of my top characters got Cavied-19.

5 Likes

as good a time as any to seek out the cavey shrine!

2 Likes

Knowing this game, it probably isn’t too far ahead…