Egg Blasting Frolfers of the Pacific Theatre (Golf Games)

One of my favorite games to bring to people’s apartments and parties and such is Ribbit King Frolf for the Gamecube. Tons of weird, random shit happens constantly, the levels are charming and multi-tiered, and the game is chalk-full of horrible gay stereotypes, racist frogs, and unsightly monsters I can only describe as reptile demons.

I’d like to expand out into other, similar, unusual golf games. Golf games that have some weird-ass twist like Frolf’s use of an actual hopping frog as your golf ball.

In Frolf, if your frog lands in water, the little guy will swim in a straight line until they’re out. If they stop within sight of a fly, they’ll leap at the fly to slurp it up. Shit is happening constantly and it makes for a super entertaining game to play with a group.

Any suggestions?

10 Likes

the original smash indie game hit

4 Likes

I know Vertiginous Golf exists, not sure if it’s on the same tier as Frolf though.

2 Likes

I suppose the obvious answer is Kirby’s Dream Course

5 Likes

I really wanted to like this but I never really had a chance to get into it, we should play it in Nov

DESERT

GOLFING

4 Likes

wow the jp-only ps1 prequel has a really appealing art style

5 Likes

how is this thing still in early access? i played this in highschool.

can we all agree early access is a broken concept?

Yes. I refuse to play any game with “Early Access” next to its name. I have plenty enough games to play that are Regular Access thanks.

3 Likes

A new golf-RPG called Golf Story came out for Switch today. Has anyone tried it out yet? I’m mad curious how it is.

1 Like

I mean I assume a vidcon iteration of the above exists

really wish video game companies in other nations were as passionate about simulating the recreational activities of their middle-aged businessmen

edit: Mad respect for the lads behind the Train Simulator series, though

The GBC Mario Golf game is sort of low to no-nonsense, but it’s a wonderful game. My dad would borrow my Game Boy constantly to play it; his level 99 character could hit the ball like twice as far as my character could.

4 Likes

yeah it is unequivocally the best GBC game

yeah seconding Kirby’s Dream Course. incredibly easy to pick up and play & very charming. it was my go-to “date night” videogame for a while.

i think i saw the Game Grumps play Ribbit King a while back and i’ve been totally wanting to play it. i don’t have a place to have big videogame parties anymore and that would be perfect for it

i might try to pick up that Golf Story game tonight

1 Like

I played a shit ton of Mario Golf Advance Tour when I was a wee sprout. That and the original GBC Mario Golf were incredibly good games. Camelot really seems to know what they’re doing when it comes to sports RPGs.

I got the newest Mario Golf game on 3DS a year ago and it lacking in a lot of aspects. Maybe it’s the rose-tinted glasses I acquired from the GB era but that game just seems really sterile and it’s missing a lot of content. Also, I never got the online play to work, which is a big reason for me to play the game.

I’ve never played a single Hot Shots game, but I’ve been REALLY craving the new Everybody’s Golf for PS4. It’s actually the only game I’ve had strong urges to impulsively purchase since GGXrd.

Also there’s that new Golf Story coming out on Switch

1 Like

I actually completely misread the topic, and I don’t have many suggestions for “weird” golf games, other than 100ft. Robot Golf which I didn’t hear much praise for

1 Like

aqua teen hunger force: zombie ninja pro-am

outlaw golf??

1 Like