Egg Blasting Frolfers of the Pacific Theatre (Golf Games)

100ft Robot Golf was a pretty fun time, we played a good chunk of it for like a week and never touched it again.

your enjoyment may vary depending on your love of 70’s anime tropes & affinity for McElroy Brothers goofs (they do the color commentary)

I absolutely adore the McElroys, but yeah, after watching the gameplay for a while it seemed kinda bland.

Great concept though.

Kirby’s Dream Course was one of my favorite games growing up. I played theeee absolute shit out of that game. Lots of sleepovers.

Cool to see it in the SNES Mini, even if none of us will ever actually own one.

Golf Story looks fucking amazing and I am buying that immediately.

1 Like

my god do these games look like piss

1 Like

I’ve played Golf Story for a couple hours and it is okay. I like the way it looks, it is snappy, the music is uninspiring. It goes down smooth. I think the somewhat-skill-based metaphor of 2D golf is a better battle system for a fetch quest jRPG than menu fighting. There’s little things like fish that jump out of the water to snatch your ball if it flies overhead, gophers that snatch the ball and plop it in a bunker: hope it gets real silly fast.

I also bought Neo Turf Masters on the Switch a month or two ago, its basically just slowly become a golf computer. The best parts of Neo Turf Masters are its non-gameplay screens, the intro, the title, the isometric hole renderings, “I did it!”, “Oh no!” they wash over with a pure and specific delight. I hadn’t put two and two together before a couple years ago that it is essentially a sequel to Irem’s pre-existing golf series, thought them Metal Slug guys just willed it into existence fully-formed on the first try.

Textfire Golf is absolutely worth playing.

also been playing Golf Story and i pretty much agree with this assessment. the actual switching between different precision & hit point modes isn’t obvious at first (they’re not in the cute Dad & Son tutorial anyhow) and the actual swinging your ball trajectory around feels a bit clumsy when you also use the same stick for switching between your clubs.
the music is kinda boring but inoffensive (it sort of reminds me of something that would be background music in a Twin Peaks SNES game but that kind of sounds way more interesting and awesome than it actually is)

but this is very charming. i love the half Earthbound half Pokemon Red kinda vibe to it. when you get some shots off, it feels really snappy and i think this might be one of the very few Switch games that actually really uses it’s “HD rumble” in subtle but incredibly satisfying ways. (hitting a putt, hitting the flag and hitting various different shots all feel uniquely different)

i’m not very far in but this might be a good go to for relaxing play times while listening to something else

1 Like

Another banger from SB Nation, this one on a community-created golf course from hell.

@jsnlv @familyjules

“Well, you know what they say about broken clocks: They’re wrong 1,438 times a day.” - John Bois

“Alright, so if you’re wondering why there’s a crater in the middle of this golf course, thank ‘@RickTheThird’ who asks for ‘an asteroid impact crater as deep as the day is long, filled with sand and patio chairs for sittin’. The reason given is: ‘I like craters and sittin.’”

6 Likes

This crossed my radar earlier, but I’m stuck at work and haven’t been able to watch yet. John Bois is fantastic.

I’m still a little sad I couldn’t get more people to read/watch 17776, but that one’s a little more conceptually challenging.

1 Like

Ahhh this was very good.

1 Like

Every time an animal was hit and flopped over and stayed there I lost it. Amazing.

And bonus, now I know how to make chicken soup.

3 Likes