E3

you can call it what you like, i’m just pointing to how the term has been used traditionally (which makes sense and is consistent). neither of the things cited would fall under qol by the traditional definition. qol are things that don’t (or trivially) affect balance or mechanics. changing herbs to estus is pretty far from that. reducing random battles is definitely not a qol change, and counterbalancing it with other changes to approximate the original balance is even further from qol

i think what you’re looking for has more to do with reducing tedium, increasing accessibility, etc., which, while it may increase your personal quality of life, is not the niche for which the term was coined

2 Likes

i feel like a lot of these souls changes weren’t necessary from a mechanics point, but sort of became necessary due to ‘fatigue’. like yeah these are things that were more cumbersome in DeS but I’ve never found it difficult going back to that game (i think my first play through was after finishing DkS2). these are just things i wouldn’t want to particularly be dealing with in DkS3 because at this point it’s my fifth souls game.

1 Like

I’m down with this SotC remake thing because: 1) my PS2 isn’t plugged in and I don’t have an old TV that it would look good on anymore anyway, and if you say PSX2 how is that really different from a remaster, 2) I don’t own a PS3, 3) the original game very obviously strained against the technological limits of the PS2 in ways that are not aesthetically relevant, and it was a game designed to impress technically. 15 fps isn’t an artistic decision, it’s well shit that’s all we got. the game tries to be sublime, which means the details matter less than the impression and the scale. those are malleable features. I was less interested in the PS3 Ico than the PS3 SotC because Ico loses something with the upscale. I don’t think SotC does.

6 Likes

probably an attempt at a NES Classic-style grab, though there’s like a bunch of those Flashback plug n plays already so

fingers crossed that it’s like an NES classic but for Jaguar games

5 Likes

the “jaguar classic” has a nice 70s vibe to it

tried the pc version with the patch and it all runs fine except there’s still no way to lower your gun without unequiping it. can’t believe the guy who went all the trouble to make these patches plays it that way. so I tried with a updated version of scp thing and everything is once again fucked and at first I had like 4 xbox controllers listed as being plugged in for some reason and now pcsx2 won’t start anymore cause the plugins are fucked up or something

I uninstalled scptoolkit and it still wont let me reinstall pcsx2 cause the plugins folder is still somehow in use. fuck charles babbage you motherfucker

2 Likes

3DO classic imo

3 Likes

I feel the same. Obviously we all have barometers for this but I wasn’t tripped by the resolution boost on PS3 and the framerate was a big difference but I can share Diplo’s lust for a PSX Ico.

Well, as long as it had a glorious crude bloom shader running at something like 128x96

I found a 6 gig .wav recording pcsx2 made when I played shadow of memories for some reason

3 Likes

How long is that recording?

it was 7 hours

3 Likes

Demon’s also has the worst loading times in the entire series, made worse by the mandatory hub world design. (Speaking of 3-2, the cage lift down into the swamp there is comically distant because of that.) And then they put a blacksmith in 2-1 with no way to directly fast travel to 2-1…

In the later games they started caring about it a lot more. Bloodborne’s hub world is small to optimize that, and in DkS3 they added loading fog gates blocking the outdoors of Firelink to speed up incoming bonfire travel at the cost of some player confusion.

Can’t decide if this looks good or not. I mean, it looks good, but it also looks pretty bare-bones so far.

the music reminds me a lot of this!

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

man that debate about colorized vs. non colorized was getting to the point i wanted to start asking people if they thought pizza was the best in new york

6 Likes

Everybody knows pizza is best in your mouth and E3 sucked because there was no new Virtua Fighter

4 Likes