Fuck the mods.

14 Likes

Keep dune it

1 Like
  • Spaceships in the background
  • Bits of ash in the foreground

0 voters

1 Like

I read Dune last year and, despite its ridiculous white savior stuff, I had a good time. Some of the worldbuilding was pretty cool, it’s a cracking story, and I loved the ecological stuff. I’m looking forward to the movie. I think Villeneuve is a little overrated, but Blade Runner 2049 was good enough to convince me he can at least turn out a moderately enjoyable Dune movie.

6 Likes

Dune was the first thing I ever saw in a theater. I was too young to entirely follow what was going on, but some scenes sure stuck in my memory. I haven’t watched it again since, but I keep meaning to.

spice_must_flow

3 Likes

As a huge David Lynch fan, I’ve got to say that his Dune movie’s terrible reputation is actually fairly well-deserved. When I saw the movie before reading the book, I was completely unable to follow its plot, and that’s not because of the cool abstraction or experimentation Lynch is known for – here he seemed to be trying to put together a straightforward sci-fi epic but the pieces are just not coherently glued together.

Watching it after reading the book, I enjoyed it a lot more, and this time I could actually follow it. It’s got the typical problem so many book-to-film adaptations have, where it’s a collection of iconic scenes from the book without any of the necessary connective tissue. Lynch’s visual sense comes through pretty well at least, and his additions to the lore are so transparently his in a way that I found very amusing. For example, his take on the Harkonnen poison’s antidote. If I remember correctly, the poisoned guy has to physically milk a fucked up cat in a cage every morning to get his antidote to stay alive, lol.

I’d rank it as Lynch’s worst film, and a terrible Dune adaptation, but still a good time, especially if you’ve read the book. It’s not like Villeneuve is trying to compete with Mulholland Drive or something here.

1 Like

I really like the dune movie I think I can only tolerate lynch when he is constrained by genre conventions

2 Likes

Heartplug still one of the most striking additions and concise and nauseating visualisations of power but then again I saw this flick at a very impressionable age in a bus during a school trip and was the only one into it.

11 Likes

I read Dune between phone calls at DirecTV, constantly flicking back and forth between the indices and the main story and angry people who yelled at me because they couldn’t watch Baseball/American Idol.

I think this is the appropriate way to read it? I loved it

3 Likes

no

3 Likes

i’ll swallow most lynchware but dune is still my favourite for all reasons mentioned so far
and more

please only watch the smithee cut very drunk

1 Like

this version won’t be better

2 Likes

15 Likes

i read dune as a green on black txt file on an nds via a flashcart i am the cyber

14 Likes

DUNC

AN IDAHO

24 Likes

reposting my greatest creation please make this image the op in this and all subsequent dune threads thank you

DQZNzvrVAAAua2T

20 Likes

i thought this was robert pattinson at first and got all excited

3 Likes

Thanks Thread now I have to watch all three-something hours of the Fan Version again

The Lynch version is one of my favorite movies. It’s not good, in the usual sense; however, it is Relentlessly Entertaining and I never fail to have a great time watching it.

4 Likes

Same!!!