DUnC

Gotta get around to re-reading the books one day they’re pretty fun. I like a lot of the sort of cheap “throw it at the wall” prognosticating (Buddislam, for example). Shield/dagger combat could be the first great multiplayer VR game

2 Likes

nodunetreads

here it is

the image that justifies that movie

14 Likes

Something I like a lot about Lynch’s Dune is that instead of the computers using the hottest apple II wireframes of the early 80s, someone in the art department thought “A civilization that travels through space probably has nice fonts installed in their os”

dune1
dune3

13 Likes

I don’t care about timothy kalameet I want to see Worm Sign

1 Like

NO DUNE THREADS

11 Likes

DUNE THREAD

11 Likes

DUNE LINE

• DUNE THREAD
  • NO DUNE THREADS

0 voters

GET ON A SIDE

i havent read dune or seen dune so i will not be voting but i will be providing you with a pie chart every chance i get
apologies in advance if a dune line poll has already been taken but i bet it wasnt a pie chart

i like how this pie chart does a weird little spin whenever it auto-refreshes

1 Like

Denis Villeneuve’s U U U U (to be read out loud)

1 Like

Denis Villeneuve’s Proper Superset Union Intersection Proper Subset

2 Likes

The Film Formerly Known As Denis Villeneuve‘s Dune

I fuckin love the 84 movie so much. Finally grabbed my copy of the novel from my parents’ house right before full lockdown and have been meaning to read it, but I’ve been wrapping up a bunch of other books first.

Bladerunner 2 seemed like a bad idea, and I couldn’t bring myself to bother. This new movie seems like a bad idea. Who is this filmmaker, and why does he keep taking these hopeless jobs?

2 Likes

blade runner 2 was okay and the director would be good if he had some weird obsessions other than just moms

6 Likes

rebecca ferguson is going to be a good denis mom in this

disappointed with how drab these pictures look. I thought that first image on Caladan was drab because that planet has a pacific Northwest like climate, but maybe the whole of these Dune movies is going to be costumed by H&M?

2 Likes

I know its development long precedes episode 9’s release but honestly this looks like The Real Serious Prestige Adaptation Of The Serious Nerd Book, We Respect You And Would Never Fuck You Like Star Wars Did and it seems dire.

8 Likes

otoh, never forget that a handful of stills ever so much can convey the feeling of moving pictures, let alone a full feature length movie.
This will live, or die, with the world building, and considering that Villeneuve (the director, not the F1 chump) managed to make me watch Bladerunner 2 and Sicario, I am actually looking forward to this.

Maybe it also helps that i will hold Valerian as a benchmark, and yeah, that’s a low blow… bar.
But for the record, i actually liked that french comic adaption, so what do i know about taste! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I know Lynch’s movie ain’t the book, but at least it had some pretty iconic production design (with Giger in particular being a holdover from Jodorowsky’s “spiritual warriors”).

Even the Sci-Fi channel mini-seriessssess tried something in that earthy turn of the millennium genre tv show style.

Admittedly we’ve only seen a couple glimpses but hopefully this one has more in store than just Halo armor, mail order “tactical” knives, and trench coats. The blimp-looking ships flying around in the background of that first shot are promising. Hopefully the Harkonnen and the Navigator look more interesting.

1 Like