DooM

1 Like

OK, thanks. I only watched videos of people playing it and those qualities didnā€™t come through. I guess I mainly had a bad impression of the visual design. Doom was above all pretty and colorful, and the open spaces are also vistas to admire. By the time Doom 64 came out the trend in FPS visual design was grimdark, and maybe thatā€™s the problem more than any specific failure of that port.

Thatā€™s very similar to Duke Nukem 3dā€™s improvements on Doom, and I wonder if Doom 64 was explicitly imitating it. I imagine supporting room-over-room is mainly about being disciplined about only using room-relative coordinates in all parts of the engine, never absolute coordinates. Duke Nukem 3d also had a few other tricks to simulate 3d-ness like opaque, teleporting water planes and flat sprites that you could stand on.

Duke Nukem 3d has a secret level which is structured like Dead Simple with an inner room surrounded by an outer torus, but there are 4 totally different versions of the center room. It shoves in your face the fact that rooms are overlapping and doesnā€™t paper it over with a height difference. I always loved that one.

1 Like

1 Like

This is up on Quaddicted now too.

4 Likes

Iā€™m definitely calling revenants boners now

1 Like
1 Like
6 Likes

1 Like

The original Doom: TBG was super great so fingers crossed.

Its nice to see doom go full circle in board games. From Doom to Descent to Imp Ass and now back to Doom

Donā€™t forget Gears of War aka Doom but way harder!

1 Like

So hey, quite some time ago we made a Wolfenstein episode at Glorious Trainwrecks. I made some levels for it!

Iā€™m posting about it now because I just overhauled the opening level and Iā€™m pretty proud of it. You can read more about the episode and download it from here:

http://www.glorioustrainwrecks.com/node/5238

1 Like

Does anyone have any commentary about how much of DOOM WADdery is built with the expectation that players have mastered vanilla DOOM? Same for Quake, etc. I feel like a full dedicated thread could be made on the subject (SMB2j comes to mind, as well as some Kaizo romhacks and LttPā€™s Parallel Worlds), but Iā€™m not experienced or gud enough to really have input.

Iā€™m under the impression that stuff like The Plutonia Experimentā€™s design philosophy is ā€œFuck you, you love this.ā€

1 Like

wrt Quake there are two dominant trends in map design. The small, dense and vertiginous ā€œCoagulaā€ maps representing one end of the spectrum and spacious, hour+ long and architecturally imposing maps on the other end (canā€™t recall if there is a nickname for this style. Coagula-style maps tend to be more focused on providing a challenge for people who have mastered Quake mechanics (I can barely beat most of them on hard and Iā€™m not bad at vanilla quake) whereas the giant labyrinthine maps tend not to be as challenging moment to moment but they do tend to be exhausting over time since there is more of an emphasis on long term resource management and exploration. These are just the two extremes and most maps fall somewhere inbetween. Generally, most quake 1 maps are only slightly harder than the vanilla campaign but coagula style pushes for that ā€œfuck you, you love thisā€ vibe.

2 Likes

ā€œDoom(4) for Doomā€ is
DBThanatos
Major Cooke
Michaelis
Necronnixis
Roxas

FAQ - Frequently asked questions

Q: Is this compatible with Brutal Doom?
A: No. This is a separate mod, not intended to be played with BD.

Q: Zandronum and multiplayer?
A: No. This mod uses state of the art features in Gzdoom that are not available in Zandronum. Until it catches up, it just wont work there. And the mod is SP focused.

Q: Does this mod have glory kills?
A: No. That was a really fun feature in Doom(4) for sure, but we felt this was not part of what we wanted for this mod.

Q: What about double jump?
A: Yes. But itā€™s optional. You can set it on/off in the menu.

Q: And ledge grabbing?
A: No.

Q: Do weapons have all their mods and their respective upgrades?
A: Weapons that have mods, have only mods. Weapons that dont have mods, have upgrades. No ā€œmoddableā€ weapon has upgrades or vice versa.

Q: Are the custom monsters a separate addon?
A: No. They are in game. HOWEVER, you can select the option to play with vanilla doom(2) monsters instead of the custom ones. They only have some updated effects, but their behavior will remain ā€œvanillaā€

Q: Does this mod contains maps?
A: Are you making an offer?

Q: Do weapons have ā€œreloadā€?
A: No. They didnā€™t in Doom(4). They donā€™t here.

1 Like

And the link to download it if anyone wants to try it out:

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=52164

1 Like

7 Likes