Do you Travel the Octopath?

anyone posteth in this threyde withouten using Proper English will be bannede

5 Likes

But it is actually the opposite of ā€œproperā€ English, and seems to be a weird attempt at making the hunter tribe seem backwarda and out of date, using an older form of English that has been out of use for hundreds of years, from before English had shit like standardized spelling. I kinda appreciate this actually, as I feel like most games would do this using like a redneck accent or something, but for some reason this game went with fake Chaucerian Middle English.

2 Likes

yeah i was assuming they were going for a beowulf vibe? the architecture in her hometown is very medieval fantasy scandanavian

apparently itā€™s become a meme on weibo https://www.polygon.com/2018/7/17/17582070/octopath-traveler-haanit-dialogue-localization

1 Like

Itā€™s weird because it is a really specific period of English that isnā€™t what Beowulf is written in (that is Old English, and is basically not at all the thing we call English), but is what the Canterbuy Tales are written in (which would actually make sense for Octopath as a referent). But Beowulf would totally make sense for the character, who is much closer to Mr. Wulf than she is to basically anyone in the Canterbury Tales.

So hrm. I do wonder if the JPN version used an archaic form of Japanese as well possibly, leading to this interesting localization choice.

But yeah, it definitely has mad meme potential. I mean, hell, Middle English was already the target of a bunch of jokes in The Holy Grail (notably, the way the French knight pronounces knight as ā€œkunigitā€ is actually pretty accurate to Middle English pronunciation).

2 Likes

are yā€™all still playing this

iā€™m about six hours in and i almost think itā€™s insufferable

4 Likes

Iā€™m like 15 in and enjoying it still.

1 Like

i like it but i acknowledge iā€™m mostly enjoying it as comfort food. and i like fiddling with job systems because iā€™m That Dork

eh

1 Like

i realize ā€œyeah i like it, itā€™s totally understandable if you donā€™t thoā€ is the least selectbutton take but iā€™m going there

3 Likes

Oh yeah, this exactly. I like it, but I am completely OK with people being all ā€œnah, not for meā€. Itā€™s certainly not any kind of hill to die on defending it.

oh yeah, i should state my post is likeā€¦ my reaction to this game and not physicalā€™s post

i love all of you, thereā€™s plenty of garbage i like too

2 Likes

if this was like 10 yrs ago this thread would be 30 pages and 3 ended friendships

8 Likes

Would it be that we have that much to say about a jrpg.

I like the art style.

It apparently is sold out across Japan. This makes sense. Because JRPGs lend themselves to buy early play quickly sell immediately. That this didnā€™t play out for Dragon Quest XI is stunning to me.

I think everyone there is waiting on the Switch version, they probably screwed up by not having it ready when the PS4 and 3DS versions launched.

A good game yet, three characters in and no ā€˜rubyā€™ as yetā€¦

been racking my brain trying to come up with some good discussion for this game bc iā€™ve had a good time playing it the past week while chaining painkillers; keeping track of BP syncs well w trying to manage 3 diff painkiller cycles.

the pokemon world design, all towns connected by 1-2 routes, maybe a hidden cave on the route. i cant think of any other rpgā€™s structured in quite the same way? it hits my brain good as someone who just doesnt have the patience for pokemon anymore

unfortunately it seems obvious now that there are only four possible responses to this game. they can be mapped along two axes: game is good/ game is bad; game looks good/ game looks bad.

i think ugly games are good though. not rlly appropriate for the grotesque videogames thread but maybe ugly games is enough as its own category

2 Likes

4 Likes

one theme to track is eggs. thereā€™s a lot of them in the game. or more accurately, thereā€™s a lot of people who talk about them or whose character is oriented around them

one disappointing thing js the total absence of any numerology. surely the octopath has mystical or occult significanceā€¦

if i made octopath traveler 2 it would be hexed as shit, full time curse-workers on staff

6 Likes

Yeah as much as I have enjoyed this little silly game, I was disappointed that they didnā€™t at least just make more passing references to the Eightfold Path. Itā€™s justā€¦right there.

1 Like

i am but a minor landowner

1 Like