Do you Travel the Octopath?

I love the backgrounds. But the sprites look like shit – they’re so stiff and RPGMaker-y. It kind of reminds me of Ragnarok Online, except, RO’s sprites weren’t as stiff and lifeless.

y-you take that back ;-;

Sorry, I’m not talking shit about RPGMaker in general, just that I think the default sprites look like cheap knock-offs of like, Final Fantasy VI sprites, so these look like knock-offs of their own stuff, which is insane because they’ve shown they’re capable of a lot better. I guess this could be a lot worse – they could do what they did to their 16-bit PC and phone ports where they applied a god-awful SuperEagle-looking filter to everything.

iJ8pivA20-032

2-024

honestly, you give something an ff6 paint job and people will go nuts for it

i’m not feeling this one so far

You should sell it probably! It’ll make some money. Or i did when i sold my copy last year.

Or rip it open and try the opening it has a real cool ARG thing I didn’t expect and ended up playing in a hospital waiting room to my embarassment.

This game comes out soon

I am thinking of purchasing this game

i want to like this but the voice acting is kind of grating and ugggfh primrose’s chapter was not the best first impression

1 Like

@GRIMglamfire can you vhange the thread title so people will know what this is about?

I played the Primerose chapter and died on the boss. It was alright. I think it looks great but not sure I need generic JRPG.

wow rudie way to confuse me for a completely different guy

1 Like

I have not played Primrose’s stuff yet.

I started with the thief dude, and he is nice and fun and his little mechanic of just stealing shit from everyone, but possibly getting busted and ruining his town rep, is cool. I also grabbed the ranger (with her capturing enemies mechanic) and the cleric (the heals) and that was pretty OK when I ran out of time.

Some of the writing is just average JRPG stuff, but that is OK with me. I played through my 3 hours alotted in the demo and had a good enough time and I generally like simple portable RPGs, so I bought this.

2 Likes

game continues to have the dopest-ass enemy sprites

5 Likes

Its art reminds me of 3D Dot Game Heroes; rather sloppy but disguised in a thick slathering of overcranked rendering techniques. It’s not sound but I still usually enjoy looking at it.

1 Like

it seems ok if kinda boring. the disconnect in character interaction/motivation is offputting, as is the voice acting (you can switch to jp though). i’ve only gotten the alchemist and thief so maybe the mechanics get richer further in.

1 Like

i have 1 last character to gather at about 8 hours in & while this game has some weird design issues im still really enjoying it? it’s laid back enough that it’s filling a role as a comfort food game but the more modern elements of its design keep it from feeling like a total nostalgia cash in. i started enjoying it more when i turned the voice acting off.

the battles have become more interesting & i appreciate how each character feels unique but no one seems unnecessary or underpowered. the alchemist is low key amazing in every way tho which pains me as he’s the least interesting personality so far (i’ve yet to recruit swordy mcmuscles)

definitely better than the sum of its parts imo.

I’m a little wary because I thought Bravely Default was really tedious and I’m hearing a little bit of the same feedback about Octopath (particularly that the dungeon design is vapid). OTOH I’m hearing the battle UI has visualized action order and weakness information, which are elements I adored from FFX and Etrian Odyssey Untold 2 respectively. Anybody hated Bravely Default but liked this?

For the voice acting, I was immediately annoyed by it from the 30 seconds I watched of the game on Twitch, and I was considering switching it to Japanese instead. Something about the mixing/mastering is really weird, like the voices are too clear somehow? I suspect the original version is better in those kinds of aspects.

hunteth monstere in foresten

2 Likes

I love the goofy fake middle English. It’s just such a silly contrivance and I have no idea why it is there, but it makes me laugh.

1 Like

this dude rules. Also his job is great to just give to anyone when you need them to be able to hit the shit out of people.