Do you Travel the Octopath?

I can pretty much present this without comment, huh?

Looks like a cool video game. Downloading the free demo to my Zelda machine now.

After playing: Real snappy battle system, little unclear if it’s the entire Bravely Default team that’s behind this or just some management staff, but has the same kind of press turn system thing going on. It is a typical jrpg in practice, there are random battles against invisible enemies, you purchase items from a menu and then close that menu and then equip them from a different menu, etc. Love the battle sprites, specially the huge boss; it all looks splendid I am feelin it. Took about an hour to get to the ‘end’ of the knight guy’s demo quest, one of the two playable characters; pretty generous demo. Your little dude’s sprite outfit changes after the first chapter. I like the way NPCs have little one or two word snippets of voice for the ‘non-voiceover’ regular text boxes. The run button is a toggle on/off rather than a press and holdy. Will def buy this game.

2 Likes

this game is still so hecking pretty

1 Like

Is this Xenogears

The 8 characters to choose from in a JRPG, battle style, and unique design actually made me think SaGa

But they’re listening to player feedback so this can’t be a Kawazu game

3 Likes

Wait, it’s pronounced EH-nix??

I’ve always said Enix but, I guess that makes sense

ooooooohhhhhhhhhh

4 Likes

How am I the only person who sees how hideous this is???

3 Likes

people… can like things

6 Likes

it;s good actually

5 Likes

I think xenogears is the best looking game ever but this is snes sprites on top early ps1 3d with ps4 fonts and ui, that just don’t make no sense. might as well throw in a nes soundtrack to go with it

2 Likes

Please don’t slam SaGa Frontier

it looks like they took one of those mockups people used to make for a 3d version of rpg maker 2003 and decided to make a game as elaborate as possible within the limitations of that format!

i like it & the description also reminded me of SaGa & i’m glad to think that whatever the platonic idea is of the SaGa series at this point could stretch to include weird stylistic mangle like the first ps1 game in addition to the weird structural mangle. looking forward to when they finally get the rights to make lucienne’s quest 2.

3 Likes

yesss thank you for writing the post i was too lazy to and more elegantly

2 Likes

Except those are nice looking. The lighting and fancy effects are yuckyuckyuck. If it didn’t have those it’d be fine. They’d be nice little rpg dioramas

I don’t usually care about coherancey I don’t think, but these are so thoughtlessly incoherent.

They could probably do some subtle fancy shit and it might enhance the diorama feeling.

I mean, almost certainly, there was a great deal of thought put into this specific form of incoherence.

It’s wild and bombastic and messy, for sure.

Favs: seeing the sand town’s lights bokeh’d out in the distance, your character’s lantern gleaming off the dark surface of a cave pond in one of the dungeons, the way enter/exiting buildings works.

2 Likes

looks like an ugly valkyrie profile

I bought bravely default right when it came out and never even opened it. help

I waver back and forth between liking and not liking the look.

I think it’s exclusively the HD particles/explosions/spinning stars/breaking glass that are bad. The lighting effects are crazy and dumb and great, I just wish the sources were all appropriately pixelly.

2 Likes