Dish Honored 2: The Assiette of Shame

yeah idk I may have overthought the title of this thread

ANYWAY this game is looking increasingly Real Good and it represents a hopeful intersection of a lot of almost-good stuff these days (sprawling sim level design, id tech, aAAs like Mirror’s Edge 2 and New Deus Ex that no one played)

I’m a little ambivalent about first-person stuff that doesn’t strictly have to be but just look at this combat and art direction:

i’m curious as to what about this combat looks good to you. it looks like unmitigated garbage to me. art style reminds me heavily of the first game and bioshock infinite, which i guess is good if you like that sort of thing. the whole traversal system looks clunky and unwieldy (and not very stealthy to boot). consider me almost entirely uninterested.

owning the first game, i played through the tutorial and first level, but i really wasn’t feeling it. i had planned to go back to it at some point since i’m a complete sucker for stealth games, but this makes me a little less excited about that prospect.

1 Like

I’m curious what stealth games you prefer. For me this was a direct continuation of Thief and nothing really felt out of place, though I preferred the mustier worldbuilding of the older games. Is it the first-person and body sway/body modeling that bugs you?

Being exposed to Thief as my earliest stealth game has been problematic as the simpler implementations most games (MGS, Splinter Cell, etc) use for detection and AI rules push it towards ‘puzzle’ and away from ‘sim’ territory.

I like stealth most when it feels like playing hide and seek, less when it feels like playing Frogger.

I’d play it. There’s a guy who’s awesome at those games on youtube. I’m too lazy to look it up.

All shall hear the words of Karras

i should really go back to dishonored one, because i do own it (wait, actually i may have just pirated it) and it seems worth playing given my tastes, my initial impression notwithstanding

i like most stealth games, including thief, mgs, hitman, splinter cell. liked stealth stuff in deus ex and usually sneaking around is my favorite part in ass creed. wasn’t a huge fan of the stealth mechanics in ocarina, wind waker, and phantom hourglass, but it’s usually pretty amenable to my sensibilities. e.g. i had a very good time with hitman absolution even though apparently everyone on the internet thought it was garbage. similarly with sc:blacklist, which i thought was enjoyable if uninspiring and ultimately forgettable. state of decay is kind of neat with it too, come to think of it

being stealthy in metal gear online is pretty exhilirating too!

Hmm, I’m surprised it felt bad. The combat stuff is mostly about finding a larger audience; stealth is so punishing I don’t think it can survive at these budget levels and target sales figures without letting players snooze through in a way they’re familiar with. Somehow the hands are steady enough that it didn’t disrupt the stealth, though. I think there’s enough personnel carryover from Looking Glass to Arkane that it ended ok.

I think the pacing in Dishonored was slack in comparison to Thief, with the level arcs reading flat and samey. I also think it deflated over its course rather than increasing in tension, as at late game the difficulty increase pushed either more lock-and-key stealth design or power usage.

Online stealth is best niche, so is Splinter Cell multiplayer. I’ve never had more exciting games.

splinter cell: pandora tomorrow multiplayer was absolutely revelatory imo

1 Like

I will say that it took me a level or two for me to really get a feel for Dishonored myself. Once I got past that I clicked a bit more with the game and things went a good bit better. It’s only “pretty good” and not “great” so I don’t think it is impossible for someone to just be turned off by the whole thing, but I felt it was worth pointing out that if I stopped after the first real level I’d feel much worse about the game than I do now.

Kind of dumb to have both avatar lady’s hands on screen (well one hand and one sword presumably being held by a hand) but when you flip switches you just press E and they magically move. Like either do the full-physicality Doom thing or don’t, but don’t force me to consider my character a telekinetic. Although hell it’s Dishonored, maybe she is a telekinetic.

I just kind of assumed, yeah.

So does this game not have a HUD? That’s kind of nice.

I think the first Dishonored is the first videogame that I recognized as a good videogame while having absolutely zero interest in ever playing.

I mostly lee the first dishonored as a pretty decent game but my biggest problem was how the plain sword combat(no other gadgets or powers) felt to simplified. It was either mash attack and hope you stagger them for a coup de grace finisher or wait and parry to get that opening. 1 on 1 felt trivial and i never felt like i had the tools (sans powers gadgets) to manage a multiple assailent encounter when compared to Dark Messaih.

I havent been keeping up with dish2 that much outside of the last e3 showings but it’d be nice to have a few more non lethal tools because setting up traps and rube goldberging up ways to victory is just the best and that felt like lethal playstyle had the most of that to do.

I really doubt that this type of game is completely HUDless in The Year OOL 2016, but kudos if they managed to pull it off.

Also, if those prompts explaining what the powers do when you use them are in the game, that’s a pretty good concession for youtubers!

to vanilla Thief, sure but Thief Gold added a few extra levels that kinda suck compared to the vanilla campaign and Dishonored at its worst feels about the same as Thief Gold at its worst.

This is an odd sentiment. Why would you want to have DMMM combat, disregarding the powers and gadgets? That’s what they’re for, to broaden what tactics are available.

(I’m the only person on SB who doesn’t like DMMM, though. While still acknowledging that that the combat system in a properly variegated arena is fun I find the whole thing kind of shallow and boring)

It’s mostly the part of me that loves having a good melee. I like getting close and personal when throwing down. Alot of the gadgets/powers feel almost to strong when taking down large groups so if felt more like I won those encounters for just having those items instead of it being based on my ability to use them. If I could compare it to doom, most of the powers felt like BFG level options and sometimes you want to test yourself that you can solve the encounter without resorting to that.

I played through the first game on normal and started a hard play through but I don’t remember feeling much difference out side of damage thresholds increasing instead of more behavior tweaks so I don’t know if that would help the game to feel better.

can you still posess a rat

You can summon Leviathan from Hellbound to dazzle people.

I thought DISHONORED was fine, just fine.

I look forward to being a kawaii empress tearing enemies of the realm apart with shadow demons/possible deepening of the gross whalepunk lore.

2 Likes