Disco Elysium

One I had to screencap too, especially that last line.

Music in the only remaining(?) of the Seven Sisters was also perfect. Van Eck jam, FINAL too. Possibly mix in somewhere material…

1 Like

The Sunday Friend is such an excellent satire of neo-colonialist capitalist thinkfluencers. His scene and the encounter with the Light Bending Rich Guy (a fucking amazing reveal) made it clear that this game does have a political point of view outside the player’s roleplaying choices, and it’s an enjoyable one.

1 Like

I somehow managed to miss whoever the heck this is

He’s hiding in the shipping container on the docks that your character becomes inexplicably obsessed with opening. If you pass a tough rhetoric check to try and reason the container into opening itself, it actually does. It turns out there’s a dude hanging out in there who is so rich that poor people can’t perceive him – light seems to distort and bend around him. He travels the world by hanging out in shipping containers. If you’re clever, you can scam him out of $100 by convincing him you’ve got a great entrepreneurship proposal that will instill liberal values in the underclasses.

It sounds like I’m making this up but it’s really for real.

6 Likes

Ah, found a screenshot:

2 Likes

Did you notice that while in the container how much money you’re carrying grows exponentially the closer you stand to that guy?

4 Likes

Hah! I totally missed that. That rules.

I also just picked this back up after putting it down for a few weeks because I got into a situation on day 3 when I was trying to stretch out time for certain things and not others and didn’t want to get too far in the weeds when I wasn’t fully in the mood for it.

god, it’s so good. I still think it made a slightly poorer first impression than necessary by throwing some of the uglier dialogue options at you before you trust the writers fully, but it’s really so excellent. I now have both a gun and a library card; look the fuck out

3 Likes

there’s very little post-communist writing that I’ve found this simultaneously lucid and humane and entertaining but it reminds me a bit of early Pelevin in that respect

I also really love Kim as a character. He’s really well written and his voice acting has so much character to it. It’s so entertaining every time you deduce a new layer of his personality: Science fiction nerd, gadget enthusiast, extremely reluctant pinball wizard, wannabe pilot, skilled at dealing with juvenile delinquents but clearly carrying some guilt over past failures, an extremely by-the-books cop, but with a well-concealed morbid sense of humor. I like the guy so much that it affected my role-playing, making me want to do my duties properly and fuck around less. Learning his sense of humor, I was actually able to predict what jokes he’d respond to, as well.

6 Likes

On reflection, it was a smart move on the part of the writers to make your partner a total nerd who hides his hobbyist enthusiasm from his coworkers to try and fit in. I think that’s something a lot of people who like video games too much can relate to.

1 Like

Kinda want to spin up a hyper twitching reaction speedster, bolting electrochem. My first was a stormy soup of psyche and int, drugs for motorics, occasional physical boosts.

Inland Empire is great but uh, after a while that voice seemed to be giving me the jamrock shuffle. The stat low key dredged up so many past flights of fancy, I might’ve actually tried drowning it out with neighbors drama + conceptualization. All in next time, maybe

1 Like

I had a singular, head tilted back facepalm, grim fit o’ laughter when (very spoiler) failing the talk Ruby out of suicide check, and having H blurt out “I know your pain! I’ve been let down by women too!”. Felt horrible. But that was perfect.

also, the pace and arc are pretty impressive; I love the whole premise of “I’m a drunk who ruined everything” to get you to start at square one for RPG mechanic purposes, I love how all the skill checks can be reopened or bumped in various ways to make them all mostly doable without having to worry too much about your stats but still getting you to commit in a small way to your character build (and making failed checks way more compelling than any other game that claims to), and I love how tying the passage of time 90% to how much of the game’s text you’ve consumed mostly ensures that you start being able to tie up a lot of loose ends around when the game pushes you to, without the usual sense of going on sidequest cleanup duty

I played up to like the middle of day 3 very cautiously and infrequently and from then on it was like a dam burst

6 Likes

I wonder how much of their conceptualizing the game pushed them toward making such a spectacularly on the nose take on P:T

ah wow that ending

I’m so glad I did all the most ridiculous side quests

3 Likes

the big reveal that Harry was a gym teacher, which is why he jogged everywhere, was obsessed with disco, and was so childish around children had me laughing so hard

7 Likes

did anyone else get both of these, I’m honestly curious

1 Like

There were still plenty of point blank dialogue choices during the wrap-up, right? Pretty sure I had that combo available, but went with just one.

I don’t think I did but I probably should have. I’m going to check my screenshots tomorrow.