Destiny Come On Already

It was officially cancelled last year.

The fan-developed offshoot El Dewrito is still available if you want to play a few Halo 3 multi maps online. The original team announced that they were stopping development on it to work on another mod called Anvil Online, but it’s not going anywhere fast. No way to play campaign, unfortunately.

MCC for Windows 2k17!

halo 1 PC always seemed extremely gormy too, it’s like the only FPS ever made that doesn’t feel right on kbm and even the world geometry didn’t look normal on anything other than a 640x480 CRT

Unfortunately old Halo will never feel good on KBM because weapon design is do tightly based on bad analog sticks in an old controller; the reticle spray and auto-aim just feels off.

It’s a shame that Reach runs at 20-25 fps campaign, those neat level spaces don’t quite make up the difference with Destiny’s amazing gunfeel. And at the time Reach came out Bungie was years behind CoD and its gunfeel.

Slanderous.

2 Likes

Destiny is best in the business now, and I never really liked playing Call of Duty, but Halo guns never felt especially great to shoot. I don’t think they straddled the line between soft laser guns and futuristic recoil-dampened assault rifles very well; everything is a bit too quiet and a bit too far away

1 Like

wow that is so far removed from my opinion

Halo 3’s engine feels mighty nice on PC by way of El Dewrito. The existing PC ports of CE and 2 are not so nice.

The Reach DMR is the grandfather of Destiny scout rifles. I still think the bloom/recoil from the beta was perfect. It made trigger discipline into an embedded mini game like active reloads.

1 Like

i feel like if i could play only one halo game, i’d make it reach. it seems like a more grounded take on the universe rather than the main-line’s beefy sci-fi heroism.

datto shares my pve concerns and articulates them much better than I did.

I think Reach has the seeds of what makes raids memorable on higher difficulties with coop. I think the raids are also explicitly inspired by the vidmaster achievements from ODST (citation needed). You can see a little of that in legendary walkthroughs like the above. I hope 360s get cheap enough that y’all can casually check them out someday.

One of Halo’s foundational elements is the adequacy and versatility of basic equipment and I think this can’t fit in Destiny. You have to make those whites, greens, and blues suck at least a little to make the purples and yellows nice. In Halo guns weren’t objectively worse so much as not your preference. At least in the Halo 3 era it felt like they were genuinely attempting to balance every option.

Last night I played the last TTK mission I gave up on (“The First Firewall”) and it fucken sucked. I went into a room, the doors locked, and I ran around the room like scooby doo for four waves of Spooky Dudes and Spookier Dudes with no context. It took the wind right out of my D2 sails. (I couldn’t do anything but story missions because I let PS+ lapse.)

The only reason this mission even exists is because the order in which the enemy waves spawn is the passcode for a relic that’s used when obtaining Sleeper Simulant.

That’s a bad way to dispense that information! Dummies like me might play it and complain about how boring it was. You’ve got five huge maps - hide it somewhere out there.

this would be cool!!! since year 2 or so almost all of the exotics (and endgame drops in general) are bad, usually infusion fuel for top-tier vendor gear

i too am hoping they step up their exotic game. it sort of felt like after year one they ran out of interesting exotic ideas? i can barely even remember what any of the y2 exotics did, they didn’t leave much of an impression on me. I also wonder if the reduction in class customization is partly so those “unlock a subclass node for free” exotics actually seem appealing.

I actually think the weapon progression and power creep is Destiny’s worst trait. I wonder what the game would feel like if your strength curve was much more flat, leveling up would let you power horizontally, and the big discrete options were less powerful but tweaking let you find their edges in ways that suited your playstyle (as opposed to making you play to their advantages).

Of course I never got that into destiny so what do I know.

vault is the weekly raid

just saying

There’s some family stuff going down this weekend but I will try to have Sunday free.

5 nodes left to get the shirt!!!

dtr

4 Likes

Yup.

1 Like

This is looking highly unlikely, unfortunately

I think Destiny Ghost Hunter is lying to me about how much Grimoire I’d get from the few dead ghosts I have left to pick up so I might not actually be able to get my two remaining record book nodes by grinding those out :frowning: