David Cage's Adventures in Android Apartheid (Detroit: Become Human Demo)

being there was irritating bullshit until it was remade starring dale cooper, then it was good

1 Like

“Outsider art” with a stupidly massive budget from a profitable developer isn’t outsider art at all

If you have interesting things to say about David Cage’s games you can probably say them without throwing around slurs or gross assumptions of intellectual disabilities

2 Likes

Budget is immaterial in this; The Room is also outsider art. There’s a reason I specifically mentioned Being There also, in which a simple-minded man accrues wealth and power from people mistaking his simplicity for profundity.

I’m covering ground and filling in gaps in my D. Cage ludography (including finishing this one I just spent $70 on) to make longer posts, but my primary thesis is based on observing the games from an extremely low-level (and rather innocent) gestural / anatomical viewpoint which, as I will demonstrate, the games explicitly encourage you to do, but nobody ever talks about them in this way. The word “remedial” can be used in multiple senses to (again, innocently) describe D. Cage’s approach to the ludographic reconstruction of humankind.

2 Likes

Are you arguing that The Room is a high budget film? Just because Tommy had some bucks from a legal settlement, it doesn’t put him on the same footing as a AAA video game, or even a small budget Hollywood film.

Again, budget doesn’t have anything to do with it. It can be funded by whoever and sold to whatever degree of success with no necessary bearing on the artist or the process or the work itself, aside from refinement and scaling upwards (and maybe an ego shot to make him even more of what he is), which still leaves D. Cage’s work (and worldview) as fundamentally alienated as it ever was. He’s been doing this for two decades, which is about as long as it has been possible to do it, and never in their history has Quantic Dream made another type of game, nor even notably responded to trends in the industry. He’s in his own world, doing his own thing, and they’re along for the ride.

It’s also especially appropriate for big-budget outsider art to occur in videogames, given how core videogame players themselves have particularly narrow exposure to art.

1 Like

Outsider art as a term gets into some uncomfortable ground. But trying to not delve too deeply into unpacking that, something like King Reol’s Doom maps might fit the traditional mold of outsider art.

Press square for “Is Cage an outsider.”
Press triangle for “Is Cage an artist.”

4 Likes

4 Likes

did we actually just ban someone for not hating a particular video game with enough enthusiasm

1 Like

no they got suspended for a day for unapologetically and repeatedly using slurs after being told to stop in posts that have been deleted

come on dude, give us some credit

5 Likes

my only complaint about cage’s games is that everyone feels the need to weigh in on them instead of the thousands of other narrative games out there

3 Likes

I imagine it’s because it’s easier to “play them wrong” as opposed to something like Telltale. Cage’s thoughts on the future of the medium don’t help his case.

I’d support Cage-bashing more if it led to serious discussion of cinematic games, or possibilities in branching narratives and socially-driven gameplay (in the Chris Crawford sense). But it rarely happens.

2 Likes

agree with parker here, or rather want to say, watching this discussion from the fence/catching up late:

shouldn’t we at least approach this game from at least some kind of neutral pov, and let the mishaps (which the game surely will dole out, don’t get me wrong) speak for themselves, instead of outright hating this game before even having seen a minute of it?

If we are priming ourselves to hate a thing, we will pretty much hate it in a self-fulfilling prophecy kind of way, irregardless of what we are actually watching/listening/reading/playing, and I think that we should be better than that.

Yes, Cage will continue to be Cage, and he said some bizarre shit we all know, and I surely don’t mean to defend Monsieur Cage here, yes. But we are sensible enough to hate on the game if it’s trash, or give it some respect if it will be doing something remarkable, don’t we.

on topic and for the record:
I haven’t bought it yet, the demo didn’t click with me, so to make me shell out 60+ bucks for it, nope… and i kind of doubt that it is full-price material, it’s a cage game, after all. so I will pretty likely be waiting for the first price drop before trying it, and then see whether it has any merits or not.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be invested at all in this one had he called it Montpellier: Become Human.

1 Like

6 Likes

At least David Cage seems to have worked out some of Detroit’s regional mass transit issues. Was that a subway (or People Mover!?) stop one Ferndale in one of the trailers? Will 170 year old cyborg L. Brooks Patterson be letting that train cross the county line?

At least they did some bare bones research (I’m looking at you Robocop).

2 Likes

Yeah def not buying this at launch cost, but I’ll get to it. Aside from Beyond: Two Souls tumbling too far from the tightrope that is Quantic Cage, I’ve enjoyed each previous game. Omikron’s long on the backlog and that’s quite a different era anyways.

The demo was nothing if not aesthetically engaging and I’ll put myself through its ham dim social commentary just to experience where it might actually do something interesting.

1 Like

i’ve been wondering whether it’d be a good idea to watch last years’ detroit (movie) before playing this game, or after playing it, to compare how both game/movie work with the underlying issue of inequality.

needless to say, even in my wildest dreams i can not see Cage doing better than this movie, and not just because it has gotten some rave reviews last year, but also because it is a team of french people approaching a topic with a different background than the crew that did the movie.

It’ll be interesting to see whether some aspect of the french/parisian background of quantic (e. g. Banlieues <=/=> city center detroit) can be seen… that’d be something I’d love to see covered properly.

1 Like

Seeing how the name was one of the biggest criticisms of the movie, it was really weird to see the movie follow suit, although in a less risky way.

I’ll play this (as in, interactively with a controller) if someone gifts it to me (same with Beyond and Heavy Rain!)

Redbox, ya’ll.