Dark Souls 3 Die Already

I knew it was soon but the DLC release slipped past me! If I turn on my PS4, this might KO all non-work time for a few days…

Well, the final boss of this DLC is definitely the most difficulty I’ve ever had.

Be aware, if you get frustrated with the DLC you can always Hidden Body through the whole thing. I breezed through the level portions pretty quickly this way (it’s a lot tougher if the enemies can see you).

I like the new weapons, they’re hella fun. Don’t have a lot else to say, other than that I need to now go through the DLC with my Dex character.

tried fighting the orphan for the first time in months and can’t even make it halfway.

Seems real sparse. Only played a little and only found a single new thing of note. Then I met an NpC went hmmm and called it a night.

Yeah am enjoying the DLC a fair amount. I think all the weapons I found so far have some significant variation in the movelist, and the enemies are all new / not much recycling minus some certain big beast animations. The boss is probably pretty great.

While playing DS3 at first I made up my mind pretty quickly that the lack of innovation, even the attempt of it was deliberate, because otherwise the quality of the game is top notch, and this DLC solidifies the feeling. I could see Miyazaki directing DS3 as a trade to get Namco to fund another project or something like this.

It’s definitely my favorite DLC of From Software so far. It’s an extremely tightly made experience.

I don’t really get the complaints about innovation at this point. The consistent excellence is more than enough.

I started in on the new content the minute it became available in my area (11:00 p.m. Monday night). I always make slow progress in these games, and so far I have had one boss encounter (in which I was not victorious). I’ve since just wandered, being impressed by how things tie together and how cold the environment looks.

Thinking it was a normal enemy, I attacked a character I probably was not supposed to attack from a distance.

So is this DLC the sixth archstone or was that the Ivory King one?

Nah, neither of them are a land of giants. This is very explicitly a variation on Painted World of Ariamis. With a horrible maggot bug basement instead of a horrible skeleton wheel basement

1 Like

i fucked up in sotfs and blasted the manscorpion so hard

then i saw the grave later ;_____________;

nothing can be worse than Skeleton Wheels

but I did like fighting the non-awful version of them in DS3. It was cute of them to be place up near a cliff edge, too.

Yeah it looks really damn cold. It reminds me of the concept art for the iceberg in HL3. I’m surprised they didn’t go with a slowly building frostbite meter in some of the truly cold-looking parts, would’ve helped reinforce the concept.

The bugs don’t seem so tough at first, but then your situation gets worse and worse as they hear you make noise and start mobbing you from all directions. Pretty neat area

I wish this thread had actually sold me the DkS3 DLC as intended rather than brining me out of retirement to try to fight orphan again. After two hours across two nights I can get him to transform somewhat more reliably but I only get about half an hour in at a time before my reflexes are shot and after probably fighting this boss alone for more than five or six hours over the past year I still get killed in 20 seconds sometimes and I’m just sick of trying. it is beyond my limit.

You run blades of mercy right? I think that weapon is weak against Orphan. I had a hard time with my DEX build too (I think I never beat him with it). You want to keep a slight distance and fight aggressively but one hit at a time with a lot of agile no-lock-on rolling. The DEX weapons instead encourage you to close in, lock on and overcommit to your combos, either that or fail to do damage fast enough (and you do need to damage fast as he can’t simply be dodged 100%).

Also, I hope you realize he’s not Kin and aren’t wasting a blood gem slot on that like I did for days.

one hit? I’ve been doing 3-4 at a time (I do slightly less than 200 damage to him per hit; both mercy and my burial blade are at right around 400 phys + arcane) and when things go well for me I can actually stay behind him for a good fifth or sixth of his health bar at a time. the fight’s just agonizingly slow and has too many chances for me to screw up otherwise, it’s not like manus or ebrietas where they’re hard but have very well-defined windows for fighting them face to face.

I also tend to lock on all the time even when people say “don’t lock on for this fight!” so I think it might just be that my typical strategy and build can’t handle this one without undue stress. also having to go grind out potions between fights sucks. I’m done.

I didn’t find out until after beating him that there’s a ton of usable space out in the water. Clears up all the arena clutter. The shield you get in the DLC can help with his projectiles. pre-empitively having it up whenever he jumps up can avoid some dumb damage. Other than that, iuno. It took me a million attempts and kinda just came down to learning to dodge effectively, like, 75% of the time in the second phase and trying not to take damage in the first.

I wish OoK was just balanced better in terms of health and damage. He’d be one of my favorite bosses if that were the case.

I beat the boss of the DS3 DLC last night. Actually didn’t take too long when I stopped trying to cheese the last part (was initially trying to do it with arrows because I was already exhausted {and it almost worked!}). On paper I kinda don’t like the fight much, but it seems balanced alright in terms of health and such. The second phase is actually the easiest, imo.

yeah, I’ve read all the tips about the shield and the water, I’m just a little frustrated at how much time I’ve already put into this. weirdly I’ve found every single jump attack trivially easy to dodge through all of this, whereas I can’t get the parry timing down at all reliably. thanks though! sorry to ruin the DkS3 thread!

I wasn’t able to solo the DS3 final boss with my Mage. Maybe I’ll do better with my Dex char when I get there. Also making a shield build which is… different.

As for Orphan, I remember the boss taking me about 8 tries. Was mostly a fight that was about figuring out the ranges since the boss is extremely consistent with attacks at certain ranges (though I agree the boss has an obnoxious amount of health given that most of what the boss does never changes all that much).

I gave up on the DS3 DLC final boss after 12 tries and got help, mostly due to the fact that I just couldn’t get used to the phase changes quickly enough (still took 3 tries with help due to the help dying a lot too). Mage was 75 in NG (my dex char is 76).

Orphan drove me nuts but I also went through the DLC on NG+, so. It definitely has some behavioral quirks that stretch, if not outright break past, the limits of what can be done with the mechanics while iterating on the level of challenge for a boss. It just wasn’t much of an enjoyable experience to try to come to terms with. I can sympathize with giving up or summoning a helper or two. In my case, switching to the whirligig saw was invaluable.

Fascinating

I switched to burial blade and I’ve come within three hits of winning twice. No idea how I mentally ruled this out six months ago