Dark Selectlands Sign-Up Thread! *very important*

In Medieval Selectbutton, reality is more horrifying than fantasy

This is a simulation heavy RPG from 1992 set in a very low-fantasy take on the medieval Holy Roman Empire. I’m going to build my party off of 4 basic archetypes:

An Alchemist/Social person
Priest/Cleric that is basically literate
Streetwise Rogue type, probably a Hermit
A good Physicker that will keep you all from dying

So if you want to be in, say which of those “classes” you want to be, your starting age ( >20, divisible by 5) and I guess what kinda weapon you would like (standard spread of medieval gear, swords, bows, maces, hammers, polearms)

Oh, you can specify your favorite color and what gender your character will be as well, and I’ll use my best judgment to choose your appearance (there’s not many choices there)

As a sample, here’s a quick version of @T

(Heavily optimised priest build)

NB, your character will probably die and there will be a waitlist for other characters

Almost all characters are going to start with ridiculously low weapon stats and ridiculously high strength and endurance, you can opt out of having an optimized character on request. There’s just little point in spending character creation points on weapon skills since they naturally level up so fast in the game.

The starting age effects basically everything about your character, the older you get the worse your stats get but you start off far more skilled.

PS polearms suck in this game, it’s the biggest flaw of the whole thing.

2 Likes

I’m so taken aback by sucky polearms that I’m going to need a minute

I am probably most naturally the Alchemist: mostly talk, but also some of the things he talked about.

Starting age would be 25, I guess, because I’m 27, and let’s not make me 30–oh god, don’t make me 30.

Growing up, my favorite color was green (this was before I burned away arbitrary sentiment).

Make me male.

Whenever I played this as a kid, it was really fun for about the first 10 hours, and then assuming I survived at all and ended up with a reasonably strong party, I ran out of momentum and stopped playing in the midgame since there seemed to be nothing to do except visit more of the same kinds of identikit towns and castles. I hear there is a winning condition for this game but it seems ridiculously hidden and out of reach. If I pick this up again, can you recommend anywhere I should be going and anything I should be trying to achieve at that point?

Ah, the rumors are actually not wholly randomized, listen for rumors of witches, goblins, dwarves, etc and go investigate them.

Since I don’t know how many people are going to sign up, and bhm claimed alchemist already, I’ll do cleric for balance sake.

weapon: can I have any weapon? sword every time. I’m generic anime hero
color: pinku
gender: girl~~ because western fan’cy games have always taught me that dudes look boring

I wanna be a 35 year old streetwise rogue who uses maces. Because I believe in blunt force trauma.

@drobe unfortunately men do not have the hair in this game. I will make you an archer but I’ll also give you a dagger so you don’t die when someone gets within stabbing range.

@Ronnoc were you signing up or just commenting on the one major flaw of the game (mind you, polearms are still usable because all weapons are usable with high enough stats)

@BIGHEADMODE
You can be an alchemist at age 25 but you’ll be a sucky alchemist for like the first third of the game

@CourierRice
So, the game differentiates between the genders, but, unusually in favor of women for the most part. Women are blocked from 3 of the starting occupations (Friar, Priest and Bishop) because medieval church, but women get greater benefits from calling upon saints. Thus a lady cleric character is actually recommended over a male one. Anyway, just wanted to let you know I figured out how to build a 25 year old Abbess (it’s one of the occupations that has relatively high stat and skill requirements)

@Father.Torque
I’m tempted to try and build a lawyer out of your character but it will take a bit of work to fit the appropriate careers together. I could cynically make you a swindler

1 Like

It feels so weird to not be tmkf.

Not saying people have to stick to my old acronym. It’s just a trip.

Well, if I’m going to immediately die or be a burden on the party you can age me up. It will be a dark vision of my post-apocalyptic future-self.

Oh I have no intention of doing that.

Everyone will know it was your fault that the inn exploded

It’s only appropriate.

The only question is what my zany catchphrase will be.

Urkel already took, “Did I do that?”

And Bubsy has, “What could possibly go wrong?”

How 'bout, “Don’t you trust me?”

Okay: that’s a little flat. How about every time I kill everyone, I say afterward, “Hm. A little too much _____” and the blank is always, like, “copper filings” or “Pepsi” or something. It could get increasingly lol random was we go on.

Yeah. I think I’m going to be a really popular character.

1 Like

Oh, I’m signing up, I was just taken aback. I will go for physicker because I love our party and I want them to be alive. I’ll take hammers because why not, 25, brown (raw umber to be exact) is my favorite color, but we can go for yellow if you’d prefer, and female.

Great, one last question for all: will you be wanting a randomly generated german name to go with your selectbutton nickname?

Of course

The first party has been created. I’ll make @Father.Torque when someone in the main party dies (when BHM wipes the entire group trying to make potions)

First course of action will be to wander around dark alleys at night and murder thieves because that’s how you build reputation and weapon skills in this game.

Oh right, and to go over the characters quickly

@BIGHEADMODE’s real name is now Diepold Urslingen, he is a student turned alchemist
@CourierRice’s real name is Sigrun Hutten, she is a noble heir that became an Abbess
@drobe’s real name is Leopold Stromer, he’s a journeyman craftsman that became a thief
@Ronnoc’s real name is Gertrude of Ottingen, she has been a student for ten years, some say she will never graduate, but she can probably keep you from dying. You will note that the numbers on her health bars are the biggest, that’s because she’s stronger than everyone else. You need big muscles for big healing I guess.

Sigrun is German for “victory” and “secret”

I am determined to be the coincidentally best unit across all three of these threads.

I did glitch the color palette so you have bright purple hair in this game. Actually none of the colors of your sprite are normally possible.

Also this is what the battle screen looks like. It is theoretically a very tactical experience, but the degenerate strategy is to just send everyone to attack at once.

Edit: so far Ronnoc has lost consciousness once because I couldn’t afford to buy any armor for you, sorry

Good job @BIGHEADMODE in my last game trading for formulas never worked so it really is the superior option to combine alchemist and diplomat archetypes.

It’s too bad the town we started in doesn’t sell Gum anywhere so I can’t make any of your formulas until we have enough money to move to another town.

1 Like