Dark Selectlands Sign-Up Thread! *very important*

I’ll finally know what would have happened if I’d gone pro!

Awesome! I honestly think this role is a pretty good match for me. Nerd who would be a better nerd if he had more attention to detail who also knows how to talk to people.

Well that’s definitely a bug. 273 Florins is about 1000 times the amount of money I actually have. I’m going to choose that option, but I will make a safety save since even though I’m going at this with a semi-ironman approach, I don’t want the game to end because of a gamebreaking bug.

edit: “Death Strikes Swiftly” popped up on the screen along with a picture of the grim reaper and then the game exited. Happened too fast for me to make screenshots.

edit2: trying it again, I get this wonderful glitched amount of wealth:

It’s a an overflow of some kind. I now have essentially infinite money. I dunno, I think I should probably reload a save.

3 Likes

So, I’ve reloaded my save

This is a good demonstration of why there’s not much point in putting your points into weapon skills at character creation. drobe’s edged weapons skill jumped 4 points in a single easy battle.

Curry Rice learned a new saint and I immediately prayed to this saint to make all of you a little more virtuous.

It’s basically a free skill upgrade for the entire party because most of you were godless monsters before this point. The way prayer works, you deplete a pool of divine favor that refills over time and with good church attendance to pretty much cast a spell. But it’s a catholic spell so it’s ok.

Here’s the alchemy screen. Big Head is basically useless as an alchemist, however. I tried making a few of these potions to see if I had a profit margin (This was the only formula that I could find ingredients for) and it has a whopping profit margin of 3 pfennigs a day. Doing day labor makes more than double that amount.

Useless Useless Useless

I’m going to have to save up tons of money in order to hire a tutor for BigHeadMode. That recipe itself is very useful because it’s one of the only ‘healing potions’ in the game, and it’s much cheaper to use that than it is to pray to saints for healing.

Ok, this sounds fun.

I call a 25 y/o, male, social person.
Maces or swords for a weapon (no particular preference between those two)

Think about all my potential, Tulpster.

I’ll probably come up with napalm while trying to soothe a paper cut.

Man this looks like a game I would have absolutely devoured at age 12. I can’t believe I’ve never heard of it.

this thread turned me towards some pretty cool art (1, 2, 3, 4) in a game with the same name

in case of tpk: enjoy training a 20 year old alchemist. if there are enough character deaths that you actually get to me, then i guess i’ll help keep that trend going

If death enough there is I would like to be a 40 year old cleric with a HAMMER.

I like to wear purple in vidyagames because it is not a color I can pull off in this real life.

Should we save up for better armor(you are all wearing leather right now) or should I have us move from city to city until @bigheadmode can pick up the ingredients for a new formula he picked up that promises to “purify gold”

PS this formula is called Avicenna’s Transformation. Avicenna was a real historical figure, a true polymath, writing one of the greatest medical texts of the medieval world, works of philosophy, works of recognizable chemistry, poetry and a few alchemical texts.

Is moving from city to city risky? Like, does it raise our encounter rate? What would “saving” entail–more night murders?

I guess I’d go with the least risky option for now, since we’re so fragile.

Though obviously I eventually want to turn gold into still gold.

Its costly to travel by river boat, both paying for travel and tolls to enter cities. There are also occasional raids by river pirates. We are way unprepared for overland travel unless you want to be eaten by wolves or have what measly equipment we have dissolved by a real alchemist.

Otherwise yes, more night murders coupled with day labor until you have something that protects your vitals better.

When you say “day labor,” I assume you mean that the others will dig ditches while I stay home and study my scrolls?

Sounds good to me.

You work as a clerk actually. The others work as smiths of various sorts. @drobe makes twice as much money as you.

1 Like

Ah, the noble Einstein type, toiling away in obscurity even as I unlock the mysteries of the universe. Completely appropriate!

@Iacus, @seven, @shrug, I’ve added you to the queue

seven’s potential character is destined for death since they are so young. Great starting stats but pretty much unskilled in everything. I’ll try my best to make the character survivable when I get to them.

just like real life :dongdance:

I’m just bumping this thread so it doesn’t get purged while I’m away for the weekend. People besides BigHeadMode should decide whether they pursue his foolish get rich quick formula to turn gold into more gold or go the slow and safe route.

I’m here to keep everyone alive, so we might as well be super risky.

If we all have to work together on one plan, then I’m in for Big Money.

once there is sufficient turnover I would like to be Heilwig lastname, a 40-year-old woman / Physicker-type / mace-fighter, yellow or red