dark archie timeline

just ran into the guy who plays Kevin at a stoplight here again

seems to happen about annually, I wonder if he actually lives here year round

1 Like

between everybody having superpowers now and cheryl being possessed by the spirit of her witch ancestor i feel like this show is now so functionally close to my teen memories of watching late season Angel that i’m forever waiting for a time travelling vampire hunter to take baby anthony into a time portal so he can emerge a week later as archie’s adult nemesis, whose goal is to imprison him in a coffin underneath the sea

5 Likes

I love how this was presented as a momentous event, like, real Cheryl is GONE, except in practice the character acts about 5% different

3 Likes

I also enjoyed this cry for help

5 Likes

the cheryl mirror scene last ep sort of disappointed me since i was really tickled with the possibility of just having pulled that reveal in the goofiest way possible, have the grandma explain to a confused 12 year old that “cheryl” was essentially a Remnant Psyche and then just swap her out with a slightly different variant without anybody else even noticing and just continue on as usual

also i have no idea what kind of faustian pact the actors signed but like twice now i’ve been like “alright, the time skip is obviously the setup for all the characters to be recast” and “alright, jughead recreating the universe like a grant morrison character is SURELY the setup for the characters to be recast” but it never happens. i hope everyone’s just abruptly recast without preamble like s1 reggie and that all the actors involved get to go and start new lives… the first town they reach where nobody knows what a “varchie” is they’ll settle down

1 Like

iirc they were signed for 7 seasons but they didn’t think for a minute it would actually go that long

and this show increasingly mirrors the way living in vancouver has felt over most of its runtime, that it’s this half-digested americana fever dream that wouldn’t actually seem credible anyplace else but is mostly interested in finding new and more alarming ways of being derivative – in a way it actually embodies the aspects of living here that I like but I can see them wanting to get the hell out and never come back

2 Likes

honestly with all the overheated stuff written last century about Disneyland or Las Vegas as the secret heart of the american imaginary it’s much funnier to think that it ended up being Vancouver instead. would have also been good if they’d decided to shoot all the “alternate universe” episodes in Seattle, for maximum unease.

3 Likes

Satanic Archie NFTs

resident evil code veronica’s egg

i haven’t even watched the latest episode yet, still dazzled by the drawn-out library book subquest of this one and lines like “once a Piggy always a Piggy”. also some sad and totally unsurprising news:

The CW… it’s not too late for a spinoff where Doctor Curdle Junior has to travel the country concealing bodies on behalf of various nearby inquisitive teens. look into your heart. you owe it to the fans

5 Likes

who taught the word “grooming” to the riverdale writer’s room and how do we get them to stop??

1 Like

I’m on it

1 Like

much to think about this season finale, incl how exactly “veronica starts an absinthe company” and “reggie learns to throw his voice, in order to distract jughead, who is wearing a blindfold” made it as subplots in the season finale. the union stuff is also very funny coming from a show which is quite possibly written via Fiverr and it’d be nice to think it signalled some kind of tipping point in terms of how much good faith people are willing to extend to works of media claiming to grapple with this subject. the perpetually offscreen baby anthony being revealed as the secret key to the whole season and the show’s ongoing willingness to turn kevin into some kind of theater-kid-themed wrestling heel were both delightful.

3 Likes

afaik there are still 4 or 5 left this season, I think they’re going to close out the percival subplot, the broadcast schedule is just off for a couple of weeks because they probably needed to iron out the last of the covid postproduction delays

1 Like

pretty impressed that they got union solidarity picket line songs, bisexual betty cooper, and an american psycho musical all in the same episode

1 Like

reeling from the reveal that both bret weston wallis and bret easton ellis exist in the riverdale universe

the part where the Girls Nite group abruptly sing a song about fashion to nobody in particular while rotating around a little room was definitely made a lot more delightful by the same episode having three or four other musical numbers that were meant to be diegetic in context. decisions!!

1 Like

paul klee’s angel of history contemplating Baby Anthony, who’s just offscreen

4 Likes

i watched the most recent episode like 30 seconds ago but can’t remember anything except the sensation of three people trying to recite different wikipedia articles at once and the scene where betty is healed thru the power of reiki.
i did like alternate universe jughead and ethel in the bunker reenacting old andy capp cartoons while the others slunk away. on the other hand if there’s one thing that makes me even more nervous than the riverdale writers room finding out about the concept of “grooming” it’s that theyve fallen down a tradcath influencer hole and are gonne start doing the same thing but for “grace”

1 Like

seems like madchen amick finally managed to escape the show

I love that they have this weird fixation on killing characters offscreen now, like after they did it with Archie’s dad out of necessity they decided to make it into a bit

1 Like

honestly that does feel like some weird transitional point for the writing on the show, like i wonder if on some subconscious level they were relieved not to have that grounding degree of likeable regular guy energy anymore. able to drag the big box of “scripts i wouldn’t want to force luke perry to say” out of the garage

i feel like they’re gonna keep those three around to torment til the end of the season at least but it’s funny that whenever kevin’s dad is onscreen now i lose track of what’s happening just trying to remember what his character even is by now. at least madchen amick got “secretly an fbi mole” etc to muddy the waters a bit.
on the other hand if he really went to the guillotine bitter about the failure of his son’s aspirational broadway career that would also be good

3 Likes

great minds… also glad to see a shout out to simone weil’s run on amazing spider man

3 Likes