dark archie timeline

felt like a decent chunk of this episode was out of focus for no reason

1 Like

i noticed that too, filmed in resplendent distract-o-vision

really felt archie’s soldier friend complaining about how corruption at home undermines everything they fought for over there in, uh, undisclosed geographical location.

the mothmen subplot is a lot more fun than i’d been expecting so far, looking forward to the episode where they excavate the ancient alien ruins beneath Pops (a-plot: “cheryl learns to drive”)

1 Like

god this week’s episode felt truly crazed even by riverdale standards. getting the jughead and tabitha kiss over with in the pre-title sequence so they can get right to the part where he reveals he can only write on psychedelic mushrooms. machete-wielding convicts attack the PTA meeting as archie wrestles with possibly having committed war crimes in uzbekistan, an interesting left field choice for the question of “which country was archie even fighting in”. both of betty’s serial killer semi brothers also break out of prison to invade her house and get gay married by her mom (the one thing catholicism never meant to happen!) during the twins’ birthday party, which is made 100% funnier by the fact that the last thing we see betty doing before it happens is complaining about the fact they get two cakes. really feels like some kind of speedrun version of a full season of a regular tv series.

really hoping that the jughead dream sequence in the bunker heralds a pivot to video content

5 Likes

Descriptions of any given episode of Riverdale never disappoint. Incredible.

4 Likes

really got a kick out of this week’s return ep, especially how much of it was driven by people yelling “give me the palladium!” and “they’ve stolen the opal!” like characters from The Phantom. CUT TO cartoonishly malign rustic just kind of absently gripping the big tennis ball sized opal as they all stand around in archie’s gym(?) where the governor is tied to a chair. plot elements you’d expect to just be like half-remembered asides from a decade plus of General Hospital crammed into one episode. betty and tabitha doing an elaborate dance routine and caressing a plasma ball to represent being on “maple mushrooms” also exceptional.

2 Likes

9/11 in the riverdale universe

• Hasn’t happened yet, due to ambiguous period setting
  • Didn’t happen at all (alternate universe branch point)
  • Happened, but the Riverdale version is called like “8/12”
  • All of the above

0 voters

2 Likes

not as much to say about yesterdays but props to the show for throwing in that guy with a gigantic neon windbreaker in the background of one shot to remind us yes hiram’s 30s mob movie pastiche is happening concurrently with the 80s dream warriors stuff.
also the funniest possible origin for the not previously mentioned palladium fixation. lucky that guy didn’t try to pay in bitcoin

2 Likes

love how little effort they made to sell the vancouver-ass “new york” from jughead’s AA meeting flashback this week

feels like the first time that the production design like seriously did not get along with the script they were filming but this was another madchen amick joint so I’m kind of surprised

1 Like

haven’t really watched the season but i watched the pussycats episode because it is the one with black people and it is very funny as a late make-good for these characters. like them literally explaining out loud how badly they were written. melody who has not had two entire lines is the narrator and a main story driver! they sang the hanna barbera theme! with tabitha and xandra and josies mom and toni and nancy there literally cannot have been this many black women characters on the cw since girlfriends went of the air lol. interesting to actually see nancy after all this time since she’s usually so tied to chuck in the comics. i assume alan m. as an “it’s josie” guy would have been on katy keene if that was still on.

also that ending with the mysterious “too sweet” showing up to give them a mystery at the last minute is the most hilarious anvil of a backdoor pilot/continuing plot setup. literally the simpsons saying “i bet you’ll have lots of sexy fun solving murders in new orleans!”

5 Likes

I always forget how willing this show is to just crater its own pacing around midseason

found this week’s ep useful for clarifying my own goldilocks-y preferences for the show’s varying levels of camp: “cheryl fakes stigmata to take over her mom’s church” nearly too much, “sgt archie’s offcreen truth and reconciliation commission” not enough. “betty telling jughead that she’s like an alcoholic but for hunting down the trucker killer”… juuust right.

2 Likes

I have. hard time imagining that a single person is engaged by the archie PTSD subplot at this point

1 Like

So, this show got recommended to me today, and by chance here is this thread.
Just skimmed a bit, and this show sounds like it is all over the place… so where does one start with it, can i ignore some seasons or is it recommended to follow ep-by-ep until catching up?

I would definitely start at the beginning, the beginning is as good as any of it

it’s extremely campy and all over the place, intentionally so, and every time you think “now it’s gotten bad” it basically defies judgment

if anything I would say you can maybe stop watching after season 3 or so

1 Like

gotta say cheryl holding archie’s beating heart in her hand as the town cheers for the blood sacrifice is one of the purely funniest things you could have told someone in season one

4 Likes

i like that even in the treehouse of horror version of riverdale all the subplots are only like 0%-5% more crazed than usual and it only really becomes noticeable as a cumulative effect

also mixing a scream sound into the riverdale title reveal is fine but doing it for an episode that appears two weeks after halloween is a++

2 Likes

auuuuuuuu

3 Likes

This show is fukken wild we picked it back up again now that season 5 is on Netflix

1 Like

We started fast-forwarding through all the musical/dance numbers though, we decided we’d had enough of that especially when it was just kind of crammed in there for ??? reasons.

Some post-season 5 thoughts:

• I saw the Mothmmen-Trucker Murders-Outcast Blossoms thing coming from a mile away.
  • Some of the new couples seem really forced. Looking at Fangs/Toni specifically.
  • The writers on this show get bored of sub-plots really quickly, this season.

This show’s best moments are probably behind it, now.

2 Likes

last ep of “rivervale” was crazily fanficish in a way that made me wonder if the show producers were disappointed there wasn’t a riverdale fanfic culture weirder than the show itself to riff off of (to my knowledge? what would this even look like?) and so they ended up having to do it themselves

i do give them points for the idea that the two parallel universe reggies meeting up would immediately just get pulled into some kind of Dead Ringers thing

1 Like