dark archie timeline

this is getting pretty bad isn’t it

was not expecting the callback to being alone with a partner in a cold dorm on thanksgiving trying to keep one another from becoming too disappointed

1 Like

interesting choice to make archie say the prayer that all my irish catholic friends said growing up

is this canon?

lmao at the deployment of “veritas” in this one

I love these writers

glad betty’s mom is finally seeking professional treatment for the difficult condition of having a different writer every episode

also I know that after a season’s worth of build-up the death of jughead thing will turn out to be the hastily closed fifteen-minute b-plot of another episode but i’d be down with them making a go of it and having him be temporarily replaced by four mysterious newcomers dedicated to carrying on his legacy, Cyber Jughead, Metal Jughead, Jugboy and Eradicator.

7 Likes

3 Likes

I still adore this show

it’s postmodern without being pretentious, to an extreme degree

late but i can’t believe there was an entire cycle of online himbo discourse where i did not see anybody post the video of kj apa tapping his skull to make hollow coconut sounds and talking about sharing a toothbrush with his mates

3 Likes

i fell off early in season 4 but apparently next season they are doing a one tree hill/pretty little liars style time jump SEVEN years in the future which is very funny to me

are they gonna do a remake of return to riverdale? are they gonna adapt the life with archie series with a betty timeline and a veronica timeline?

EDIT: wonder if they will try to give katy keene closure lone gunmen style lol

3 Likes

can i for a brief moment consider this the CW thread, because

Long live the CW.

1 Like

new riverdale weirdly normal but i guess the first three episodes of the new season were supposedly filmed before covid so it’s right before they replace everyone in the cast with a sterile rotating 3d cube or something.
callouts:

• jellybeen attending underground film festival slash rave to watch secret, forbidden minecraft videos
  • enjoyed veronica’s instant, consistent enthusiasm for archie’s new song “i want to fuck betty”
  • also enjoyed that the attempt to create a fake snuff film is exactly as corny as what you’d really get if you asked some random teens to film the most evil, unsettling footage they could. i hope reggie gets really into creating lore for his masked killer character and that it pulls him into the world of online creepypastas.
  • finally some katy keene crossover action for all the keeneheads out there
  • i guess some producer somewhere finally asked them to start doing more actual teen(??) relationship drama stuff and they asked “does this mean we have to cut back on our like three ongoing serial killer / murder cult arcs” and the producer responded “no, absolutely not”
5 Likes

this week’s episode was a real return to form - i’m really amazed at the amount of minor characters they killed off entirely offscreen (2 out of 3 preppies, the entire extended blossom clan and the video guy - also hiram gets beaten up offscreen and the serial killer brother gets arrested offscreen after like a 5min long reveal too). they do make time to have a scene where veronica’s sister murders three people in the alleyway behind Pop’s with the silenced ppk from goldeneye and nobody ever mentions it again.

love that they brought back uncle frank and have him casually mention that he’s incidentally decided to turn himself in for all the war crimes committed while he was working with the contras. also that betty’s serial killer half-brother actually has no relation to her family’s ongoing “serial killer gene” thing. also that the justice-obsessed serial killer decided to take out bret weston wallis after he went to prison! i mean at least it eliminates the risk that he’ll get out and start recording podcasts about how his millenial boyfriend is too much of a snowflake etc.

really feel like trying to close off 200 plotlines as quickly and through as much exposition as possible is the perfect aesthetic fit for this thing as a show. they should keep pushing it until it feels even more like those attempts to recreate lost movie scenes by having characters recite footage over stock photos or 3d movie maker reenactments.

I loved the unexpected uncle frank midboss fight music, felt like something out of The Quiet Man (video game) - Wikipedia

2 Likes

the uncle frank one-sided fight definitely felt like a dramatic rpg gimmick battle while conversely hiram lodge appearing at the gym was just one of the random mob encounters from a yakuza game

2 Likes

i love that the riverdale writers saw uncut gems and were like let’s just use some of that as like narrative “seasoning” just like a taste of it

also apparently they showed 2021 as the year on the graduation episode and this episode despite the time jump. they’re all in some kind of chrono vortex

this was the first episode i watched since the beginning of season 4 and it does functionally feel like a years later reunion show. i forgot how much i love these writers being so far beyond the concept of “human behavior” or “tropes” and just live in their own 5th dimensional theatrical zone

5 Likes

I love how it seems more likely than not that they actively decided to rip off fire emblem for this plot, just like how I’m fairly confident that they decided to take staging cues for the earlier sex scenes from mass effect

the “whyte wyrm” intro honestly feels like some world of ruin shit. do you know where the rest of my party has gone

1 Like

I can’t wait until they all have to team up to storm Hiram’s Tower in the season finale

archival footage of Luke Perry showing up during the final battle all “never give up! trust your instincts!”

4 Likes

veronica’s highly fiscally responsible husband chadwick gekko has absolutely not blown their entire savings account on tens of thousands of dollars in gamestop stock

the scene where archie and betty are spying on the ghoulie drug den and talking about how it’s time to bust heads feels so much like the intro cutscene to an open world videogame mission i’m surprised it didn’t end with him standing outside the house with a big flashing arrow next to his car

really unimaginable to me that there could be people still invested in shipping the main cast after the last four seasons of narrative chaos but youtube comments on the next episode teaser have as always proven me to be a fool

kudos to whoever pushed for jughead’s extremely divorced style bit of moustache stubble

1 Like

“that was better than kendall roy’s speech at the end of season 2”

nedslist

what on earth was the deal with the product placement scene of hiram just holding a bag of doritos directly into the camera for like five seconds…??

2 Likes