daikatana for all seasons (and other FPS oddities)

this just activated the long buried memory of reading a preview of this game in cvg. i’d assumed at the time that these angel powers would have been your main weapon instead of guns. i wonder why they didn’t do that

3 Likes

i renamed the thread to reflect that this is a safe space for the stinkiest and weirdest PC fps games you can find. gonna play daikatana today or tomorrow idk i am very exhausted. If someone starts playing Chaser or the 4d rulers secret service games or something for this thread it will warm the child inside mes eviscerated heart. I feel like you should be respectful and save blood 2 for me though because ive invoked it like 1000 times in this thread and it needs to hang over me like a sword of damocles so I can complete my work.

3 Likes

I entered over half the bugs logged on Blood 2. ; D Probably could have got a lot more out of it but they went and shipped it. ; )

7 Likes

Ooo. No, I don’t think so. I remember the cherub illustration and I think I might have played a bit of a demo of it once, but almost all of the Messiah playthrough I just skimmed looked entirely unfamiliar to me.

2 Likes

Someone has to play king pin now. It’s the law

3 Likes

in all likelihood this one is going to fall on me too because I am a sicko and I LIKE kingpin

5 Likes

firefox_0p1rwhnMPC

8 Likes

i wonder why they took out RUNNING AROUND IN THE NIP

i WANTED to like kingpin. a steam punk hip hop game?? wicked!! but omg i got so sick of turning a corner and getting instantly shotgunned to death or what not

I might play wheel of time after this since I have a copy of that lying around too but if someone else wants to, go for it

2 Likes

Wait they released something? I only remember endless occasional mentions of progress on that one game (Gore I think it was?) for like most of the late 90s that I never remember ever actually coming out.

2 Likes

that reminds me, did the kingpin remaster ever drop?

3 Likes

Nope. Nothing for over 2 years.

5 Likes

The one youre thinking of came out in 2001 and a sequel on the same engine came out in 2004

1 Like

So I guess I should explain the plot, God wasn’t happy with all the greed and crap happening on ERF but human freewill and all that, but some angels decided to take it into their own hands and became THE FALLEN (ANGELS) and now in the future, they have taken over humanity’s leaders (with the leader of the fallen apparently being Lilith at this point) and oppress humanity, and have been using them to build the first interstellar colony ship which they are currently cramming with human souls. why?? i don’t know yet

you were sent by god to stop them after the last angel, Aaron, failed to do so. humanity doesn’t know about any of this angel stuff, and have created their own rebellion to fight against the fallen who just appear as human fascists to them. you have to help guide them so they can beat the fallen and reclaim the earth as their own.

one interesting thing is that the leader of the rebellion appears to be a hardcore atheist whereas the second in command still has faith. will they do anything interesting with this?? probably not.

also paradise lost was a big inspiration for this game and there are copies of the book around the place (it was the book being preached in that church lol). also in the original design the game was going to take place in different eras in three different episodes. basically it was going to be daikatana??

ANYWAY

So after a battle that went on for too long, I beat Lilith which required me using a combination of weapons and angel powers to beat her. she said that i will never banish ‘HIM’. Who is him?? I’m going to guess lucifer. Anyway then it’s back to ERF to blow up some factory or something. you know, rebel stuff!!

oh btw whenever lilith did an attack it sounded like she was trying to poop

so i tried messing around with powers more. as cool as the locusts and pillars of salt powers are, they’re just too cumbersome to use. but using stuff like brimstone or lightening in combination with slowing down time SLAPS and i’ve been using that for a while. more importantly i got possession, and enemies do NOT know you’ve taken over their buddies. you can walk right up to their stupid faces and shoot them in said faces! you can take over any human enemy it seems, even ones with like rocket launchers and what not.

OH turns out insist and resurrect ARE useful. insist can get one enemy on your side, and resurrect gets multiple enemies on your side if you kill them first. so now at the start of a level i possess a dude and take out as many people as possible and then get them all on my side and have a small army following me around lol. turns out when you know how to use the angel powers this game is pretty sick!! well it’s still jank as hell and there isn’t much to it, but it’s fun.

me and the boys being dudes

so on the way to the factory it was more bland boxy areas but again with enough detail to let me know i’m somewhere new. demons have started showing up on the surface now and they fight with the humans (the ones i fight) so that’s sweet of them. our friend gets blown up by a booby trap at the entrance of the factory :frowning: and then it’s into the factory!! for more of the same!! but at least i know how to use powers better now. stormin through it with my lil’ army.

when we meet our contact at the factory, they tell us that we were TOLD about the booby trap!! was our christian friend (the second in command i mentioned earlier) killed on purpose by a traitor?? perhaps by… AN ATHEIST?? time will tell.

so we blow up a reactor and then head back to base. not much happens in this time until you get near the base and see dead rebels and yes you guessed correctly, the base has been attacked! FUNNY NOTE: if you resurrect a bad guy and a rebel, the bad guy will still fight the rebel despite being on your side lol.

we convince the leader to come with us despite our losses and then on the subway he reveals himself to have been a demon all this time!! i never saw that coming!! (i saw it coming). then the train crashes!!

then you head off to the space sport! same shit i said for the other levels applies here. feels like im getting close to the end which is good because frankly it’s starting to get pretty boring! the powers are neat but don’t do enough to cover for the boring gunplay and level design.

oh i got BLOOD BOIL which is mostly useless but also hilarious. also APOCALYPSE which is basically the BFG. anyway i hijacked a ship and now we’re on that giant colony ship so next time i post i will be in SPAACCCEEEE

D3D_2022-12-11_23-16-37-93

11 Likes

Yeah the leader being a bad guy is one bit of the game that did stick with me, he just looks and sounds so villainous from the get go I have to wonder if they thought it was going to be a surprise.

1 Like

yeah, it reminded me of that MST3K gag where whenever the movie introduces a really obvious villain, they say “hi, I’m bob evil”

I was genuinely surprised when our friend was blown up, and upset enough about it to check a faq to see if i could save her. you cannot :frowning:

1 Like

All this reminds me of fond memories of Eradicator. I’m too sick for a more effortful post.

3 Likes

so the space ship opens in a very boring hanger/storage section but i DID find out you can possess/resurrect the dudes in mech suits for your army! just not the REALLY big mech suits. also they finally brought back those mecha demons we saw earlier (you CANNOT recruit/possess them) which are being shipped up here. imagine if they did more with this… cybernetic demons… no other FPS has done anything like that!! also i managed to find a sequence break which is really surprising considering how linear the levels are.

actually, this level and to a lesser extent the one before it have been a bit more mazey and it is NOT to the game’s benefit

btw the same like two songs have played through the ENTIRE GAME also lol there is a bit where you have to turn fans on and off and instead of making fan noises for this section they just used the traffic ambience from ERF including sirens

not much happens here, though lucifer shit talks us over the pa system and we start seeing lots of people stored in pods. and we find someone who recognises us in a pod!!! i totally don’t remember meeting them, don’t tell them. we cant seem to help her right now but she tells us about a tram we should find.

so we catch the tram and end up in a living quarters with lots of civvies, and THEN we go to the bridge! it is underwhelming and there is one dude working there. THEN we chase lucifer into the core, where the most action has been so far but i always have a lil army helping me. i’m surprised they haven’t stopped using humans and just throw mecha demons at us so you can’t have an army. on the other hand, mecha demons are HELLA susceptible to brimstone and move around less making them really easy to kill actually

turns out i spoke too soon, because it’s all mecha demons now!! so lucifer is using the ship and all the humans to crash the gates of heaven, because humans aren’t allowed to touch heaven, and that will instigate armageddon and lucifer wants to take out god, i presume with all these mecha demons he has on board this ship

we finally confront lucifer in the core, which is some room that keeps switching between heaven and hell or something. the fight is pretty easy… just spamming bullet time (first game to use it btw) and shooting him with rockets and using the rail gun. also the same music STILL PLAYS DURING THIS FIGHT AND THE ENDING CUTSCENE. I thought it was a bug on my setup, but i watched a video from ten years ago and the same thing happens

anyway we kill lucifer who shatters into glass, and the ship blows up, presumably with all the humans still on it?? it cuts to a statue of us somewhere, and then aaron and you just chilling and kicking back in heaven, then shows people celebrating in the bar. what happened to most of the people you met? dead i guess because i only recognise like two people.

THEN THE GAME ENDS, this was clearly rushed towards the end.

overall!! you could do worse if you want to play a janky 90s polygonal shooter!! but it’s also not a great game!! the powers are neat but shallow, the level design is bland, and so is the gunplay. on the other hand the narractive and adventure elements was enough to keep me going, in addition to the varied texture set which kept things feeling sorta fresh. i also played on easy and would recommend that, it made for a pretty fun time.

SO YES a mediocre shooter with a few interesting ideas that it doesnt do much with

7 Likes

i might continue the christian theme and play this next which i got a copy of in a thrift store years ago. i get the feeling it won’t keep my interest up to the end though

7 Likes

Okay I’m not posting about the game yet but I have to mention this game’s soundtrack

Imagine running through hellish landscapes with this NEW AGE SMOOTH JAZZ playing lol

or this actually legit really nice brian eno ass ambient track?

then we have a dark ambient piece that feels like it’s by coil or something

so bizarre lol

7 Likes

I played it for the first time just a few years ago. Here’s my review:

5 Likes