daikatana for all seasons (and other FPS oddities)

oh the constellation puzzle? It absolutely gives you the wrong information but it also has a second secret note somewhere that tells you the correct information. A terrible puzzle!

3 Likes

Of course, how could I have been so stupid. Raven deserves to be stuck in the call of duty multiplayer map mines actually

7 Likes

Avenging Angel is nowhere near Witchaven bad, it would actually be slightly memorable if that were the case.

2 Likes

you know what would have made it memorable?

RUNNING AROUND NUDE WHEN YOU START

8 Likes

I agree with you that it’s objectively not horrendously broken, it’s just a bad game without a single distinguishing feature that just happens to open with rampant misogyny before you land in the cyberpunk city and have to do hexen quests

Maybe Avenging Angel is more comparable to TekWar

1 Like

afas

I DIDN’T MAKE THIS SHIT UP

I BOUGHT THE GAME SOLELY BECAUSE OF THIS STATEMENT

GIVE ME BACK MY 5 DOLLARS 3DO

actually i guess i can just sell it because i still have it for some reason?

while grabbing this i saw my copy of wheel of time, anyone play that? i remember the multiplayer being interesting, like one player had a castle and set traps around it and other players invaded it or something?

12 Likes

Wheel of Time has really good-looking levels that take full advantage of the unreal engine. Definitely worth poking around in, I ended up liking it a lot more than I expected when I played through it a few years back.

If you like exploring sprawling, labyrinthine castles, Wheel of Time has a lot to offer.

7 Likes

When we got our first windows machine, the Wheel of Time FPS was a pack in along with one of the later Core Tomb Raiders (maybe Chronicles), and that Battlezone sequel.

WoT was the most interesting and impressive of the three. Didn’t even realize it had multiplayer, but I don’t think I figured out Gamespy and all that til I picked up Q2.

4 Likes

wheel of time is one of those unreal engine games thats ridiculously pretty, I have to reinstall it and take a picture of the first level. ue1 is the only version of that engine that produced good looking games

4 Likes

yeah, when I was a kid I downloaded the WoT demo off of fileplanet and was so impressed that I tried reading the book. It put me off of fantasy fiction for like 6 years.

Still, the game was always something separate in my mind.

7 Likes

i unfollowed a guy on cohost after he made a long post about how good wheel of time (the book series) is, and i thought of you as i hit the button

9 Likes

inspired by this thread i started playing avenging angel again lol.

it’s not as bad as you folks led me to believe so far! it opens up in the hell dimension which i thought was really cool and gnarly years ago, though now that i’m older it may be TOO gnarly for me. it’s so nasty with all the torture and body horror, like hellraiser stuff. overall i think it’s still cool but it’s a bit excessive. also it’s just a bunch of corridors and rooms, but they sure look cool/gnarly. i’m not sure about the misogyny tulpa mentioned, though there are naked women being mutilated along with men. also there are constant screams and the lady screams sound somewhat sexual

anyway then you go to earth and i remember liking the start because it’s kinda adventure gamey, enemies dont attack you yet and you’re supposed to meet up with someone and you can talk to people now and then in the game, i really dig that. this was a pretty common thing around this time, i remember kingpin did it too (kingpin sucks btw).

the edgyness from the hell areas carries on here. you start out just walking around and get yelled at by soldiers about curfew, and see them beating people up and executing people. also sometimes when you kill a dude they’ll roll around and moan around for awhile until you finish them off.

but then the shooter parts are super jank (very blood 2) and everything just looks like an industrial zone despite supposedly being a future city. i do like how they try to convince you it’s a city with ambient noise, like in the pub they play the sounds of a crowd but there are only two people there, and you hear traffic and such elsewhere. but yeah really it’s as industrial as quake 2, and the level design is very straight forward corridor stuff, point a to point b. really bland so far, especially the locations… sewers! a prison! derelict buildings! it throws in more adventure gamey stuff here and there, but it’s all so minuscule that it’s not worth mentioning. and yeah, everything is so BOXY, there are a few places with good brutalist architecture going on, but the vast majority of the game has been very boring to look it. i tried to take cool screenshots but there really werent many places that made me go “whoa cool”

apparently the animation on the enemies was impressive at the time, i guess it’s pretty good. reminds me of turok, especially the death animations. what i love about the enemies though is the AI, they’ll hop up on top of boxes and platforms, and they’re just trying their best and it’s so cute. ALSO i love (sincerely) that the hitscan weapons take like several seconds to travel, so you don’t get instantly wiped out when someone shoots you (this is why kingpin sucks), though that can still happen because it’s that era but so far the combat has been super easy. what i DON’T like is that enemies constantly spawn behind you. this is likely due to the corridor and boxy nature of the level design and they couldn’t figure out how to make the encounters more interesting. sometimes you’ll go back to get more health but there are like ten dudes back in an area you already cleared out lol. oh and your dude takes massive fall damage from like two feet.

the angel stuff hasn’t really entered into it yet. i was just sent back to hell and had to fight some spider dude, and in the real world there was a puzzle where i had to use a power which was neat, but apart from that the powers haven’t done much. the passive ones are very much like jedi powers, like haste (which makes you move TOO DAMN FAST) and a torch, and you can throw locusts at enemies which is hilariously powerful. the other attack powers just seem like wizard attacks really… shooting orbs and lightening and whatnot. also you can’t wield a weapon and an attack power at the same time which is BS. you can use weapons with the defensive/utility powers at least.

anyway i’m up to where i stopped playing years ago! i quit because i got the possession power and i was so hype because i love hiding in plain sight mechanics BUT THE ENEMIES ATTACK YOU AS SOON AS YOU POSSES SOMEONE it was bullshit and it was enough to make me stop playing especially after the never nude fiasco. let’s see how far i get before giving up this time

11 Likes

Dang, some of the shots you guys have been posting, like this one, with that gun, are reminding of SOME FPS I played from that era-ish–one with some sort of religious overtones, it seems to me–but I don’t think it was this one–I don’t remember it having all that red demon world stuff in it, or being quite as green/gray/brown and boxy. Seem to think it had sort of angelic powers you could get or something. But danged if I can remember what it was, argh. I seem to remember a similar bulldoggish short rifle, but maybe somewhat less bulky looking, and no horizontal clip.

Hm it sounds like there are also angelic powers in R:AA, but footage from that game just doesn’t look quite like whatever it is I’m thinking of; the game I think I remember was kind of darker and sleeker. Purple lightning power? And somewhat better character models. I don’t know. But the “Requiem” part of the name seems almost right, too. Hm dang it. Maybe I’ve just got distorted memories of R:AA.

Ooh for a hot moment looking through Wikipedia’s FPS list sorted chronologically List of first-person shooters - Wikipedia , I thought it was SiN, but no that isn’t quite it either, drat.

Blah maybe it wasn’t even an FPS, I dunno. Well, never mind. ^_ ^

3 Likes

i am enjoying the screenshots in this thread. would like to see more screenshots late 90s western-developed games set in future dystopian cities. if they look slightly french even better.

6 Likes

pretty soon im gonna have to do some serious daikatanaposting we’re having FUN posting about obscure 90s fpses…you guys arent sucking it down hard enough… im not sucking it down hard enough

8 Likes

Don’t suppose it was indie Christian game Eternal War where you go into your friends suicidal mind to fight the demons inside it?

4 Likes

No! But wow! = o

1 Like

could you be combining memories of Requiem Avenging Angel with the third person action-adventure Messiah?

6 Likes

so you DON’T get possession at the hospital so i never got it, so i cant remember why i stopped playing. anyway to get into the hospital you have to use your PERSUADE power on the guard outside and i’m pretty sure you literally never use that power again.

the hospital is yet another linear level that’s just a collection of corridors and boxy rooms and the same kind of combat encounters. at least you can’t get lost in the levels, and to the games credit, each area so far has had a distinct look and textures to set it apart from the rest of the game, and enough set dressing to make you think “yes i am in a hospital” or “yes i am in an abandoned hotel”.

also the hospital was built by the forerunner apparently

anyway after a tiny bit of NPC chatting and puzzle solving, you get blood from the basement which is going to be used to help the person you saved from the prison. you have to get to the rebel base via the sewers which is a VERY SHITTY AREA but luckily you can just rush past most of the swimming monsters. down here we also find out that demons have somehow been sneaking onto earth.

(these pics show what i mean by having the same design but different textures and small differences giving them a diff feel)

eventually get to the rebel base which is fairly large and i got lost in a few times, partly because there are no signs telling you what’s where. it’s nice to have an area where you can just wander around and chill though, with friendly soldiers and peeps. after you give the blood to the ex-prisoner you meet the head of the rebels who sends you on a quest to get some rail guns from a bio-tech company or some shit. you get there by going through the caves and catacombs (which has some interesting architecture for once) which is full of soldiers and also refugees from the city. it’s a long segment and is just a nice bit of world building.

at one point, lilith (who has been pestering you since the start of the game) sends a big demon after you (she’s also the one who sent you to the spider boss earlier)

then after you beat it it’s off to the bio-tech place which is yet another collection of corridors and rooms, but again the texture variety is at least nice. the game really does somehow manage to make you feel you’re always going somewhere new despite every place effectively being the same design. also here we find out the bad guys are building like, mecha demons or something. it’s the usual jank gunplay too.

oh i should mention the angel powers, i barely use them. it’s cool attacking with locusts and turning people into salt, but they are more clunky and less practical than just shooting people. the projectile attacks also either move too slow or take up energy too quickly. i only use these attacks on enemies that conventional weapons don’t work on. BUT on this level we get the bullet time power which i use all the time because it’s super useful.

anyway we had back to the base after we get the (broken) rail guns and find out our ex-prisoner friend is DEAD but luckily we have a resurrect spell that i’m sure we’ll never use for the rest of the game. then she helps hack into some building and we’re sent off on another adventure, but not before lilith decides to face us one on one because she’s sick of our shit

spoilered because of DEMON TITTY

that’s where i left off last night.

so i realised what this game reminds me of most: STRIFE

• both take place in a sci-fi fantasy world (with strife more fantasy, and this more sci-fi
  • both integrate adventure game elements with mixed success
  • both open with you being able to walk around bad guys freely
  • both involve joining rebels against some supernatural enemy and attacking their secret bases and what not
  • both have rebel bases which you revisit between missions and hang out in

the main differences are that strife actually has good gunplay (because it’s basically doom), has more interesting and open-ended level design, and does better with the adventure game stuff (despite it tripping over itself a few times).

this probably explains why i’m still playing this despite the lacking gunplay and level design, i’m a big fan of stife. i’ll continue playing the game for now!!

9 Likes

origin of the ROBLOX OFF by super talented and nice guy tommy tallirico!!

3 Likes