cyber-snake vixens of cydonia: terror from the deep: rising sea levels HD remaster

So XCOM 2 is a Playstation + game for June 2018, my question is am I going to find the sequel a little less frustrating than its predecessor?

Main sources of frustration: Ludicrous RNG in combat, how easy it was for campaigns to become unwinnable

Unfortunately that gets worse in the sequel, which overloads on narrative-driven missions that are not well-telegraphed for when they should be attempted.

It also snowballs way faster. You often can’t recover from a bad mission.

how do i not get owned in every mission by playing this game

i have never played x com before, and 2 is free on psn for rich-boys who subscribe like me

hooo boy, you gon get rekt. just try to enjoy it I guess?? It’s important that you name all the characters after people you know, that’s the protip right there.

2 is actually good. I know people here have a lot of gripes with it but it’s really not that bad. It’s convoluted if you’re a casual player but when I watch experienced players I really enjoy all the new stuff they added, it’s really dynamic.

Always use full cover, even if it makes you move in a little slower.

If a sniper isn’t getting hits, dump that fucker and hire a new one.

Blowing away cover with a demoman, so the rest of your team can lay in to the exposed enemies, is probably the single most useful ability in the game.

When you get the option to have your demoman carry two grenades, have them bring one flashbang and one grenade. Flashbangs have huge range, do not affect your own people, and make it basically impossible for enemies to land a hit.

When you get telepaths by building that telepath training building, go for mind control above all else. Andromedans and other big dumb a-holes are excellent for drawing fire and distracting, all while damaging one of your enemies.

Fuck demomen. 2 scouts, 2 medics, 2 snipers. It’s the only way.

1 Like

i thought i would be playing as brave counter xenobiologocal badasses turns out i am playing as dumbasses who try to fire directly througj vehicles instead of leaning an inch around them to hit tje guy directly in their line of sight

1 Like

In time, you too will understand the ways of corners

just like the movie aliens

3 Likes
1 Like

NEW GAMEPLAY MODES:

• Legacy Ops Command a squad of soldiers through a series of linked consecutive tactical missions:

• Central’s Archives Central Officer Bradford, and other key members of XCOM, recount the pivotal operations that led to the rise of the resistance between the events of XCOM: Enemy Unknown and XCOM 2:

• Blast from the Past – After the fall of XCOM HQ, Central Officer Bradford begins his journey to build the resistance by returning to where it all began.
    • It Came from the Sea – The broadcast of a fledgling radio DJ is reaching an audience he didn’t intend. It’s up to Central to save the DJ from an endless horde of hungry listeners.
    • Avenger Assemble – Join Lily Shen as she works to retrofit the Avenger into a new home for the growing forces of a reinvigorated XCOM.
    • The Lazarus Project – ADVENT is kidnapping key members of the resistance, and it’s up to Central to rescue some of XCOM’s most renowned operatives.
  • Resistance Archives - Engage enemy forces in series of tactical missions increasing in difficulty.

• Skirmish Mode Create and play your own custom XCOM tactical missions using the included editor that allows you to modify various settings (map, squad loadouts, objective, enemies, and more.)

• NEW MAPS: Engage in battle across 28 new maps including remastered maps and scenes from XCOM: Enemy Unknown and XCOM: Enemy Within . These new maps will be featured in Central’s Archives .

• NEW WEAPONS AND ARMOR: Equip your soldiers with reimagined versions of the conventional, laser, and plasma weapons, as well as Kevlar, Carapace, and Titan armor from XCOM: Enemy Unknown . Complete Central’s Archives to unlock these new additions for use in the main single player campaign.

• NEW CUSTOMIZATION AND PHOTOBOOTH OPTIONS : Customize your soldiers with new attitudes and helmets. Create new images in the Photobooth with additional backgrounds, colors, and character poses.

• NEW SOUNDTRACK OPTIONS: With the new Soundtrack Selector you can choose to play the XCOM 2: War of the Chosen campaign with the existing score, the score from XCOM: Enemy Unknown, or an all-new soundtrack inspired by the music from the original X-COM: UFO Defense .

• OFFLINE CHALLENGE MODE: Play through all 100+ War of the Chosen challenges as often as you want.

I like the sound of that post-XCOM pre-XCOM 2 mission series.

Also that UFO-inspired alternate synth soundtrack.

I second both of those points

2 Likes

So, been playing through the Tactical Legacy Pack in XCom 2, and it is a delight. It’s a series of story-driven missions from the perspective of Bradford, following the fall of XCom in the original.

Missions are nice and varied, with a pretty good challenge level.

As I’d hoped the UFO-inspired OST is awesome. Can’t get enough of it:

2 Likes

Was going through my Steam screenshots and I got some weird, good ones from my time playing XCom 2:

5 Likes

Some of those should be among the official Steam store page shots, really pretty!

Yeah I really dislike the art direction of both Firaxis XCOMs and these are the first pictures I’ve ever seen that make it interesting to look at

1 Like

(xposted from the vidcon youtube thread)

Beaglerush is the kind of guy I think is passably entertaining but some might find annoying, but he is very, very, VERY good at playing nu-Xcom. He has a habit of starting series which seem friggin great but then quitting before finishing, which is absolutely fine, and then not posting anything to yt for like a year+ at a time, which is also fine.

So he just started a new series with a custom mod that he made for Xcom 2 with the intent of making it more difficult and more tactical, while taking out some of the more RPG like elements and cheesier powercurve strategies. He basically just put in a bunch of ideas he thought might work and hasn’t balance tested it at all.

It has produced this episode, which ends with an entire platoon of Advent (like, literally 35 of them) shooting at his little 8-man team, and… well, if you like tactical stuff you owe it to yourself to watch this episode. You can skip the strategy layer stuff and some of the early setup turns. But my god I’ve never seen anything this nailbiting in a turnbased strategy game in my life.

1 Like