Cool character select screens and details

I was watching gameplay of the old fighting game Arcana Heart (the first one) and I while I had always remembered it featured full body portraits on the character select screen unlike most other fighting games (most likely due to the smaller cast) I had forgotten it had this cute little detail where it displayed characters’ names as their personal business cards. It provided some extra personality to each character, showing off their aesthetic preference (the youngest character’s is literally her name scribbled on notebook paper).

There are many games that portray the character select screen as a bar. Anarchy Reigns has every character chilling in a dive and the camera jumps to them when you hove over them on the character selection grid and choosing a character makes the them do a quick animation. It look pretty nice and summarizes every characters’ personality within a couple of seconds. Jack is being grumpy at the bar, just waiting for a job to come up when you select him, Big Bull and Garuda are really into their arm wrestling match. Rin RIn and Fei Rin are playing cards together but the youngest sister Ai Rin is playing video games, and gets so frustrated she breaks her game system.

The MMO Tree of Savior’s character creation takes place in an overhead view of a bar wherein the male and female variations of every class is hanging out. You can click on any of them to get them to stand up and be customized on the spot. The male wizard is reading a book, the female warrior is sitting with a dog, and both archers are sitting casually at the bar with each other.

Dragon’s Crown has a nicely detailed picture of all six character classes eating together at their table, animated in the classic Vanillaware style and it looks great. Everyone’s got a very small animation but their (very traditional) personalities look clear.

Post some cool character selects and details.

10 Likes

Jungle Strike from EA had you picking out your co-pilot at the local dive.

4 Likes

While the game Wild Arms 3 itself isn’t much to sneeze at, the intro cutscene is the best possible way to introduce the cast and their routes that I’ve ever seen. IIRC, all the routes flashback to the events of each character leading up to that screen.

(The video doesn’t seem to show it, but all characters are available from the beginning, and have their respective difficulty levels listed.)

always liked the morphing in contra hard corps

16 Likes

1080° Snowboarding has your characters chilling around in a lodge

Metal Slug has a pretty normal character select screen but i like that 2/X and 3 have these grotesque looking portraits

1 Like
4 Likes

I like the dumb skeletons and treadmills of jet force gemini

3 Likes

7 Likes

lol

3 Likes

Legacy of the Wizard

Gauntlet

3 Likes

J E T S E T

the english voices here bother me a lot more than they should

some random tumblr page with the character select idle animations: http://nightshadezero.tumblr.com/post/88118989260

4 Likes

I like this pre-alpha screen shot of wow’s race selection screen:

1 Like

Turtles in Time

1 Like

Everyone please label the games if you post a picture!

1 Like

Diablo 2 technically has everyone stand in a line but by placing a fire in the center and having the background of a campsite it gives the feeling of everyone standing around a campfire. I thought it looked real cool back in the day because characters would step forward and get lit up by the fire.

By contrast Diablo 3 has everyone standing in a line in the middle of the nowhere and it looks boring.

6 Likes

has to be watched w/ this bgm

for best effect

1 Like

I’m sensing some bias, here

3 Likes

whatever could you mean?

1 Like