Cool character select screens and details

New ghostbusters 2

2 Likes

1 Like

2 Likes

Did any of the artists go on to work on Game Boy Pokemon games? The style looks really similar.

Not out of the question, as it was a HAL Laboratory game, and Pokemon and Mother development had a lot of overlap.

Janine straight up has a Super Nerd’s head

1 Like

Sorry, that’s actually Louis

I googled the small team that worked in it. Nothing much came up. The director is the mysterious “GSX Suga”. The two designers worked on Smash and Kirby 64 next. Former Nintendo pres Iwata was technical supervisor.

the cool part you cannot see is watching the cars turning round’n’round in a fast swooosh-ing motion, then going slow-mo, then fast again, the slow-mo, then fast again, then slow-mo, ………

(also having the most important info there, all at once: engine-layout, if it’s naturally aspirated or a turbo, bhp, rpm, weight, class, driving aids, class and name of the model using the official font-art™

surpassed everyone’s fav Gran Turismo even here.

1 Like

wait, you can actually watch a bit of this here:

unfortunately changing cars after the first slow-mo, but better than nothing.

1 Like

Phantasy Star Online’s character creation menu:

I just loved the way they designed the interface with the thin vertical slits showing the character art and the way their stats spray out when you select them. Also that character creation BGM “Image of Hero” is so laid back and catchy. I remember being really disappointed when it wasn’t included in the first PSO OST release.

Sonic Adventure 1’s character select stood out to me, but it’s probably mostly nostalgia and also that sweet guitar riff:

Also from how slick and clear it was with the characters eternally running at you in glorious high res 3d for the first time.

I think Under Night inBirth has a really pretty character select screen:

The way the characters spray out in a jagged, uneven way from the center of the screen, framed by giant character portraits is really stylish and nicely laid out. Also the jargon English flavor text as a design element is amusing to read (but was actually properly localized for the Western release). Also that fabulous bgm by Raito, mmm.

Speaking of Raito, his character select music for Melty Blood Actress Again is sooooo good. I could listen to that for hours.

I appreciate how Samurai Shodown 1’s character select goes straight from selecting characters into an enemy jumping on screen to attack you, has the background slide away to reveal a map of where you’re going to fight, and then has both your characters jump into that stage as it glows to life. So seamless and cool.

As posted earlier, I really dig fighting game character select screens where they’re all standing around and/or chilling out. It’s so rare so when it happens, so it’s pretty memorable. Ones with these kinda screens off the top of my head are Aggressors of Dark Kombat and Galaxy Fight.

If we’re talking non-fighting games, there’s also D&D: Shadow Over Mystara:

Look at that beautiful Kinu Nishimura art.

that shit is real slick. I never got into PSO but my brothers played it like all day every day and I will remember most of the soundtrack for the rest of my life.

1 Like

seconded!
that city BGM theme, more than a decade later, still stuck in my head, so good.