Controller News: step on one side of three lines

Okay that’s a bit different.

Looks like an xbox controller lol.

4 Likes

It doesn’t have paddles? I wonder if it’s compatible w/ the PS4 paddle adapter thing

how is a built-in mic only happening now, in Anno Luigi Two-Thousand Twenty

3 Likes

ftfy

4 Likes

been waiting for haptic feedback in a console controller ever since I played with a Novint Falcon at a CompUSA in like 2006/7

been salty ever since that crappy-ass VR of all things caught the public attention instead. Maybe now that it’s finally widely available enough that everyone can see how much of a fleeting gimmick it is, we can start moving on to things that are actually good

1 Like

No paddles, same button layout as last gen. Oddly they’ve made the touchpad bigger

If they’re willing to Batman up this styling (the prototype controllers just look like fat DS4s, and I think they’re the same shape), it makes me wonder if the final box will look as outrageous as the prototype flying V

I guess we’re officially in Y2K nostalgia

2 Likes

They didn’t mention paddles and I couldn’t see any in the pics. I hope it’s compatible with attachment if there aren’t any.

1 Like

I’m surprised at how hard it is to suss out the defining feature from that blog, the haptic triggers, buried in a terse description in the third paragraph. I’m pretty sure that’s why the dropped DualShock for DualSense. And it looks like press writeups aren’t understanding the message either. Oh well Sony!

2 Likes

are the triggers actual motorized force feedback or just enhanced vibration?

Electromagnetically resistant. You can program resistance at different angles at different strengths; you can simulate increasing tension and a stop point or something constant and fine and gritty, but it can’t push the trigger back out. It’s much better than the (very cool and underused) Xbox One rumble triggers.

4 Likes

No grip buttons is indeed weird after the sudden PS4 back button attachment announcement. I still want to know what exactly this “dual sense” haptic feedback is like though, and how it works. I have no idea if this is just “more precise rumble motors” like Nintendo’s HD Rumble or something else.

I can dig it though. It reflects the new, more Western-centric Sony Computer Entertainment and their McDonald’s fueled audience.

what if the center of that V shape functions as controller dock

interesting

That sounds very cool. Looking forward to most games just using as a way to simulate gun trigger resistance so you can feel yourself killing people even harder.

Were there any interesting effects with the Xbone rumble triggers? I think I mostly hear people talk about it in the context of racing games.

I only know of the Forza case and some shooters. Forza’s implementation is so good, especially in Horizon when they incentivize you to drive over cobblestones, gravel, grass, mud

4 Likes

Actually I take this back. Most people will turn it off because it’ll interfere with their K/DR and like the Xbone rumble triggers the DS4 touchpad, it (and the Dual Sense) probably won’t be worth pouring a ton of resources into exploring and considering since it’s a console exclusive feature.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s my worry, I value this gimmickry but it absolutely gets in the way of strict performance

1 Like

I like the new icons for the start and select buttons.

The force feedback on the triggers sounds like it could be one of those improvements where you never wanna go back, looking forward to it. Especially for climbing mechanics

Sokoban, except w/ immense button resistance every time you try to push a crate

9 Likes

they seem to sneakily not show the back of it in those pics so there’s still a chance they have 'em back there? eh prolly not though

1 Like

is there still enough/any? lightbar light out of the top of the controller to work for VR?