Control the Body (full release!)

updated the code to fix the turning cooldown bug. it definitely feels more consistent off of walls but apparently i’ve played enough with the bug that there are a couple cases where my muscle memory feels “off” (specifically with landing on the ground quickly after a turn).

for my first platformer, i’m pretty happy with how well the physics came together. it’s just a ton of tweaking variables until you get basically what you want, and then programming special cases in to fix small problems.

as an example, it used to be a lot harder to land on your feet out of a corner, but i made a change pretty early on to make walljumps out of corners send you at 45 degrees, rather than the 30 degrees the walljumps usually send you at.

i also used to have it so that your jump would fail if you slid off of a platform, but that rarely felt good and made some hard techniques feel a lot more fiddly, so i changed it so that if you were charging a jump and fell off a platform you would still jump. this is a bit like how in most mario games you can actually press jump a frame or two after you fall off a platform and the jump will still come out.

i’m a pretty big fan of letting players buffer actions by holding them because i feel like eating inputs almost always feels bad and queuing inputs (unless done very carefully) can also feel pretty bad.

2 Likes