Control the Body (full release!)

Hi everyone I have made a new game and would like some folks to play it! beta testers before I release this thing to the public at large! Please test it out and let me know if you get stuck or any feedback (good or bad) you might have.

I will not say much about the game in this first post here so that it can be properly tested!

The game should auto-save your progress if you have local storage on in your browser.

legs_2

https://gate.itch.io/control-the-body

It runs in a browser or you can download executables for Windows, Mac, Linux or the pico8 cart if you have pico8.

I have noticed Chrome now has choppy audio for pico8 so that’s a bummer but it seems fine in Firefox.

13 Likes

the Z/X mappings were reversed for me

1 Like

browser or executable?

browser

it turns out it’s both because i was consistent in making the mistake!

3 Likes

alright fixed – updated all the game text for the buttons i intended and swapped instructions on the page.

immediately hilarious

2 Likes

ahaha yeah this is fun thanks for the advice and shoes ben

i have not run into any bugs but i think it’s as fiddly to control as you intended

2 Likes

The shoe slide is not easy to master. I thought I had it but then I seemed to get worse at it. Nice work on this.

3 Likes

I got the the ending and the new shoes, and I think I’m done for now.

What an incredible piece of work.

2 Likes

Nice work!

The red orbs are v. mean; I expect nearly no one to get even one of them, let alone all of them.

I managed to get 3 of those red orbs (and explore the whole map). I know how I’m supposed to get most of them, but the level of execution is beyond me.

1 Like

yeah they’re for sickos only. there are a few of them that require traversing multiple screens in one shot to get. like i said, brutal!

i’m glad i structured the game the way i did; my main goal was to communicate some design ideas, and then people can stop where they want. the problem with some of my other games is that the design ideas required a level of execution to enjoy, while here being bad at them is mostly the point.

4 Likes

the music doesn’t loop? it’ll start back up sometimes randomly when entering a room though. maybe this is part of the joke

i would put the color symbols here for the sake of green/red blindness:

how

this game is good

2 Likes

i was pretty good about it for most of the game but that specific case was annoying because it’s a text box but the symbols are sprites. turns out it wasn’t that bad though. thx for the feedback!

yeah i found it funny and i thought like 3 mins of music would be unintentionally grating if it looped the entire time (i’m fine if something comes off as intentionally grating).

2 Likes

i wish i had something a little more substantive to say but instead i just want to say that this game is fuckin cool as hell

3 Likes

no i appreciate that level of feedback too; i think that means it’s in a pretty good place, and i’m pleased with that.

i literally had no one else test or even see game before i posted it this weekend so i wanted to make sure my feelings on it aligned with how others would perceive it and that there weren’t any glaring issues. i think it turned out pretty cool too.

1 Like

i’ve decided that turning down the game speed to collect the reds is fine actually

4 Likes

yeah, i tried to be accommodating but honestly it doesn’t even help much for some of the reds, especially if you’ve spent all your time building muscle memory for the normal speed. the one you screenshot is one that it definitely helps on.

there are some low-speed-only techniques since you can fit more inputs into the same amount of time. the rotation has a cooldown but other things don’t – i guess i could have fixed that but then the input polling might have felt a little weird at low speed.

almost all the reds are possible at the highest speed (150%) but there are a few i haven’t officially confirmed yet lol

okay, trying to get that red one right there, I noticed a quirk when playing at 50% speed. For the first bounce of off a wall, I’m able to buffer my turn so it happens on the first frame, but when bouncing off the opposite wall the turn does not seem buffered. Thus, in order to get that orb, I had to do some single-wall jumps to stall, thus doing a “L-R-R-L-L-R-R” sort of pattern. (Is rotational cooldown not being applied when stuck to the wall?) Not sure if this behavior is intentional.

2 Likes