🎶 Congratulations! or Better Luck Next Time 🎶

Some serious action just went down and the results are in. Maybe you won, maybe you lost, maybe you aced it or you just got boss’d. What do you hear in the liminal lobby between races/matches/fights? Points for Maximum Chillness and Infinite Loops, not a requirement though.

(N64 came to mind first maybe because these were some “let’s take a break and eat pizza” backing tracks back in the day)

19 Likes

Always Last Wave

8 Likes
5 Likes
5 Likes

One of my favorite vgm tracks of all time, I always think it’s a 7/8 time signature but it turns out it’s 11/8 . Or whatever, I can never tell what the bottom number means.

But yeah it has this wonderful momentum of moving forward that i think these odd-numbered beats often have.

this one’s in 5/4 lol:

i stared at that tournament bracket a lot while listening to this

timestamped to start after the jingles - another good chill one:

I’m not sure if this is good but it’s really nostalgic.

EDIT: no it’s good actually

EDIT EDIT: The Mario Kart 64 track I meant to quote was winning results not losing results lol

8 Likes
6 Likes
12 Likes
9 Likes
7 Likes
8 Likes

this is the tune that always comes in my head when thinking about what’s described in the first post:

this is breaking the theme a bit but it has a prime liminal mood and is just an all time great track

the victory fanfare in FF7 i always liked

12 Likes
8 Likes

I thought the Nagano Winter Olympics 98 song was gonna be this song (both are good though)

9 Likes
7 Likes

I used to hate this but that’s before I realized I had sensory issues AND the emulator made the music sound crunchier than it really is:

This somehow goes hard and sounds liminal. Love it.

Also this thread rules!!!

4 Likes
8 Likes

my current liminal ditty

6 Likes

thinking again about Virtual Boy’s characteristic mood and its souped-up Game Boy soundchip, most of the soundtracks make heavy use of reverb, probably because it’s a nice thing to do with simple waves to add depth and it helps emphasize ‘roominess’ and ‘spatial depth’ to go along with the 3D effect. But it also really does something with that blood red against a black void palette, it’s all echoic and empty.

It’s hard to tell how much any of this was anticipated in the hardware design but it’s so consistent in the software. No wonder people didn’t like it (I love it).

8 Likes

Modern Sonic games are excellent about this (and have the most iconic fanfare to my mind)

The Unleashed results screen has an extra bad version for getting an E rank

Most of the main themes have their leitmotif arranged e.g.

I learned to play this on guitar. It gives the best sense of What They Were Going For

Have probably heard this one the most, though

5 Likes
5 Likes