Circuit City on the Edge of Forever

this is why I really appreciate the steam big picture feature of temporarily changing your main monitor, too many games and other tools are hardcoded to only capture/render one display and there’s never been another sensible solution

Just found out there’s a whole mess of UVC USB 3.0 Chinese capture cards out there of dubious quality that will strip HDCP directly, instead of gambling in 2021 on random HDMI splitters to do the job (they apparently used to be a dime a dozen, but most chipsets now comply with HDCP, making it trickier to find one that still does the job).

I’m…tempted, but I’m also not exactly dying to stream anything from PS3/spend $150+ to do so.

(I keep telling myself “ho ho with one of these I could stream from Linux” but I’ve got one of those little Stream Deck things and it’s too convenient to ditch streaming from Windows for)

1 Like

The Bitfocus companion/stream deck emulator has a Linux version hidden in its github if you want to muck around with that

It’ll probably be a pain to use because it introduces the need for another computer to run it (I’m assuming you can’t just point it to 127.0.0.1/localhost for actual macros) but you’re using Linux so you already gave that up

2 Likes

I want to spend less than $200 on a 4K TV, is there potentially a better option than a used 2017 55” Samsung Q7? 2020/21 TCL 4 series seems about the same range, but people want more for their 5≤ series.

I have a MU6300 and my biggest beef is no Criterion app. I think later Samsung models support it though.

I dunno about under $200, but I’ve been super happy with my TCL 6 Series from last year. Like, as something that replaced my ailing Samsung that cost more than twice as much, it’s a hell of a TV (the Samsung developed some issues common to the model I had that were driving me fucking crazy - more than once I had my screen suddenly shrink to a little 6" by 10" rectangle, completely lost sound, the works. Getting a repair cost more than my TCL, so, problem solved itself)

It sounds like the 4 series is fine? Like, bad HDR and some brightness issues, but otherwise pretty good.

1 Like

Personally, with a sub-$500 budget I’d look for a late-model plasma

Yeah it seems like these are the sweet spot for value if you can swing it (2021 model will be 8k, hachi machi, prob get one of those eventually, etc.).

1 Like

yeah I got to experience a cheap 4K TCL while in LA renting a furnished place and the experience was utterly joyless, made me not want to use the TV at all

death to lcd

2 Likes

when are Sony going to come out with a 4K trinitron already

4 Likes

Saw someone using a 48" OLED TV as a PC monitor with a letterboxed 21:9 ultrawide aspect ratio

I was disturbed at how long it took me to dismiss the idea

2 Likes

managed to order a 3070fe #whoa

maybe it’s good i got distracted from RE8

2 Likes

pov: you are a desperate idiot

3 Likes

Do any of you use those specialized miniature vacuums to clean debris from between your keyboards, and if so are they any good?

1 Like

I’ve only used a very underwhelming one but if someone knows of one that actually works, I’d love to know.

i accidentally installed the geforce experience but it was worth it to get the overlay prompt in… windows terminal

10 Likes

nvidia should really maintain a blacklist of apps that use hardware rendering but are not games

2 Likes

I have this which is… the opposite of a vacuum, but it has a wide-but-thin attachment that’s great for cleaning keyboards

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V8S9XU6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use it every few days in lieu of compressed air

3 Likes

powerful enough to snap blades off a computer fan if you’re not careful!