Circuit City on the Edge of Forever

9 Likes

I went from like 6-8 whatever it is per second installing steam games in missouri to 90-100 per second fiber in iowa. my docker vpn shit goes as fast as my missouri internet maxed out at now

9 Likes

I was kinda under the impression that zen 4 was supposed to be good? because it looks like shit. makes me want to just buy a 5600X, which makes me just want to wait 3 years instead. which I guess is nice in its own way.

2 Likes

yeah I was wondering why Zen 5 rumors started circling right before the Zen 4 announcement and it turns out that they really donā€™t seem to have too many other features ready beyond the shrink, the memory transition, and the iGPUs, which are not, like, generationally interesting, thatā€™s just bare minimum stuff for 2 years after Zen 3

blessing in disguise I guess, just keep riding out this extended generational no manā€™s land

4 Likes

Yeah i found out my computer runs better when i blow the 10 years of accumulated dust out of it, so maybe Iā€™m good for a few more years now

8 Likes

Yeah same here I have a Haswell on my personal desktop and it still seems snappy enough

The main reason I feel like upgrading is that the CPU fan has started to sound like a creaky horse-drawn carriage and while Iā€™m fumbling around in there I might as well upgrade things

4 Likes

anecdotally there seem to be a ton of people on this website still playing modern games on Ivy/Haswell even as the rest of the industry has been trying studiously to stop acknowledging them for a few years now (since Ivy/Haswell were barely improved on for 5 years, but have admittedly been leapfrogged since, if not for the baseline of last-gen consoles)ā€¦ I do feel Iā€™m being stubborn purely in terms of age, as mine has acquired similar creaks, butā€¦ itā€™s not like Iā€™m not paying attention to whatā€™s getting releasedā€¦ theyā€™re still just failing to push me over the edge.

a 3700X seemed like it was enough after all, then a 5900X seemed like it was certainly enough, and here I am still

3 Likes

I donā€™t experience my behavior as stubbornness. While my computer seems to be performing fine, I basically hibernate on paying any attention at all to hardware developments. When I start to get hungry for an upgrade, I go out there and devour tons of information about whatā€™s currently best, buy it, and then return to my cave of total ignorance of and indifference to whatever the hardware Toms of the world are excited about. So it just feels like my layers of fat have been conveniently keeping me satiated for more years than usual

10 Likes

When I left the house earlier I had a Aftereffects render that was clocking in at taking a projected 137 hours and still counting upward on my old 3770 machine. Iā€™m about to see where Iā€™m at now.

3 Likes

oh yeah I should note that most of those old machines are only usable because GPUs have taken over more and more workloads, and if you happen to have a compute task that they donā€™t work for, well

1 Like

So 8 years ago T-Mobile sent me an Asus Asus RT-AC68U router to support WiFi calling and brush over their at-the-time weak spectrum coverage. And it was a well-regarded router in its own right.

Well I switched phone plans and just got a letter from T-Mobile asking for it to be returned or me to give them $100, which

a) hahaha
b) oh my gosh they still sell these and theyā€™re $130

So what should I look for in a modern router? I live in a very signal-crowded apartment building, had few range concerns with the current router, and everything important can be wired to it. Iā€™m paying for gigabit cable internet (not for the downloads but just to get a little bit of upload because, you know, uploading 2GB builds several times a week is just something I do for my health) and the router was a bottleneck on the downloads, so I figure I should get something modern.

Any recommendations?

According to this 2021 re-review itā€™s still fine: Asus RT-AC68U Review (in 2021): Still pretty epic ā€“ MBReviews . Since $100 is less than the normal cost, Iā€™d consider just paying T-Mobile

It supports 1.9Gbps on paper. If youā€™re not saturating 1Gbps, it might be an issue with your client, or with contention in your apartment building. Wifi 7 is supposed to handle interference much better but that hasnā€™t really improved between 2013 and today

1 Like

canā€™t beat good old atheros 4x4ac

2 Likes

Ah, looks like the Asus is 3x3. Half the price and more antennas is hard to argue with

Iā€™m still using this, my one recommendation with it is to use a relatively high 5ghz channel because it shipped before the spec was finalized and it uses a lower transmit power with lower channels

My one recommendation if you do send it back is to take photos of putting it in the box and screenshots of when the package is marked delivered. T-Mobile wants the $100 not the router and theyā€™re not above screwing customers, let alone an ex-customer

1 Like

also, just to get pedantic ā€“ 3x3ac is 3x433mbit = 1300mbit, but youā€™ll generally only pull down half of that when benchmarking down or up (itā€™s not exactly that itā€™s duplexed, thatā€™s misleading, but this is typically how it works). ā€œsupports 1.9gbit on paperā€ just means that they did some dumb back-of-the-napkin math for a theoretical maxed out 3x3ac connection and then added to that a theoretical maxed out ??? to add up to 600mbit on its own ā€” technically I think 2.4ghz ac or n can get there on paper, but it would require channels so wide that they would basically not function over 2.4ghz in a remotely crowded area.

there are almost no 4x4 clients in existence ā€“ usually you see 2x2 or 3x3 ā€“ but you would need 4x4 in this case to even get up to a theoretical 1733 (and having a 4x4 router is still beneficial for 2x2 clients because of MIMO).

3 Likes

all of that said, on home fibre I usually pull down 60-70M/s, or about 500mbit, from actual downloads rather than benchmarks when using this router.

itā€™s also the most stable one Iā€™ve ever used for wifi-to-wifi game streaming across windows / Mac / iOS

Yeah, I probably shouldā€™ve given that a second more thought, since Iā€™ve typically measured around 500 megabits even with a better router than that.

iirc, wifi 6 goes up to either 600 or 1200mbit per antenna, but the wider (1200) channels are flaky without 6ghz, which is where 6e comes from ā€“ the best upgrade available on my 3x3-ac card is a 2x2-6e, which would still be going from 1.3gbit to 2.4gbit total

2 Likes