character actors you get excited to see in movies

there are a couple of actors who always play bit parts that i get unreasonably excited about when i see them in movies

JOE PANTOLIANO

you probably recognize him as ralphie from the sopranos or cypher from the matrix! daphny can attest to me literally yelling ITS JOEY PANTS at the tv when we watched bound (the wachowski sisters really like him god bless them) and freaking out for like 30 minutes. he shows up to do a ridiculous humphrey bogart in treasure of the sierra madre impression. this dude always plays the biggest dirtbag motherfuckers and i love him

STEPHEN TOBOLOWSKY

tobo is in a bunch of shit (hes in deadwood and memento which are things youve probably seen) but i started recognizing him after seeing him in the steven seagal movie THE GLIMMER MAN where he plays a serial killer who steven seagal refuses to kill despite shooting him in the fucking heart with a .45 because seagal experienced a spiritual awakening on set and swore off violence for like, a month. which is somehow the most steven seagal thing possible! hes always in some incredibly bit part but i get excited when i see him

theres some less obscure guys i like to see show up in movies but i wanted to highlight my boys specifically!!

Stanley Tucci

For reasons I can’t articulate, I like it when Stanley Tucci shows up in stuff. He’s a in a lot of things, but I can’t even think what.

mac mcdonald
tve11556-19990225-284

i always recognize him as the captain from red dwarf, and he’s always playing characters that could be canoncially the captains career

cuz hes like a space cop (fifth element)

firefox_tbvu6Kc9OV

or a security guard (dog boy from liquid television)

i think hes in batman as well but hes not a cop in that so it doesnt go with my fanfiction

2 Likes

Richard Kind

6 Likes

Jeffrey Coombs is weird because he often graduates from bit parts to leading roles fast, but he spiritually belongs here

8 Likes

John Billingsley had a big part on enterprise but mostly just randomly shows up in stuff. He was one of my favorite parts of enterprise from the get go, and I lost my shit when I saw him in Twin Peaks: the Return

image image

2 Likes

“also starring jeffrey combs as weyoun” are six of the most exciting words in television history

3 Likes

I recently discovered that Stephen Root played Bill in King of the Hill and was like, of course he did. He’s amazing. Got real hyped when he was in Get Out

2 Likes

I work with a guy who was a writer on Spin City

he tells a story of watching Richard Kind’s cats for a summer

Richard comes back

“hey, ya like my cats? Ya know what? You can keep 'em. Yeah.”

This sounds like an unspeakably cruel story coming anywhere but from this man’s mouth

7 Likes

I get pretty excited whenever Clancy Brown shows up in something, in person or (much more frequently these days) as a voice actor.

3 Likes

seconding lam suet, the owner of the best face in cinema, but i also enjoy whenever peter stormare shows up in anything because he always Goes For it

For awhile, I toyed around in my head with making an 80s teen mag looking website for my favorite character actors called Tiger Bear and making silly crush pages for each of them. The list included:

Clany Brown
Keith David
Ray Wise
Peter Weller
Danny Trejo
Probably some others I can’t think of right now.

Now, you can have arguments over what constitutes a character actor (Peter Weller, for instance, was the star of several movies, but his most known role has him wearing a face covering helmet most of the time) but whatever.

1 Like

rip powers boothe innit

1 Like

I mostly know her from television but Andrea Martin, hell yeah

1 Like

Any time I see a Wire alum I get unreasonably excited. That’s a cast completely made of character actors and Idris Elba

8 Likes

Yeah, I especially always get hype for Lance Reddick.

7 Likes

i have this in my head now

2 Likes

You should play Quantum Break

1 Like

I got really excited to see Cary Elwes in Stranger things 3

WELL LET ME ENLAUGHTEN YOU PEEPLE!

I didn’t notice that was Cary Elwes until the credits of the final episode and it stunned me. I didn’t remember him looking like that the last time I remember seeing him!

1 Like