Chamber of Sacred Ootheca - The Metal Thread

Cloud Rat are good people. The singer works at a restaurant with the best vegetarian poutine ever too.

4 Likes

The documentary Slave to the Grind is up on Youtube now, and you get to see the singer’s Eva models in the background of his segments.

5 Likes

ahh i’ve had that bookmarked. ty for reminding me to watch.

gonna plug my housemates label and this weirdo grindcore ep they put out:

2 Likes

A friend and I started a black metal band when we were 14. It’s still around:

I stopped because I was busy with university and making games but also because I was listening to pop music and Brian Eno
4 Likes

Linked 'em before, gonna link 'em again, it’s Vengeful Spectre, a symphonic black metal band that throws in a fair amount of traditional Chinese instrumentation:

Coffinworm were a doom metal band from Ohio that did songs about giallo and serial killers and when they were on song, they were some of the best doom ever:

Nails are a grindcore/hardcore/punk group that made maybe the most viscerally heavy grind album? You can listen to the whole thing in under 15 minutes! The vinyl version I have is weirdly slowed down?

I’ve recently been sitting down and going through old Black Sabbath, and you know that shit still holds up:

Anyway, this is gaming forum, so how about some Bolt Thrower:

2 Likes

next time you get some of that poutine you tell em SELECTBUTTON LOVES CLOUD RAT also come play in grand rapids when we’re no longer in viral purgatory

3 Likes

They’ve since done more hifi and expansive albums but this is my favorite Bell Witch recording. Tags are epic funeral doom.

I like most of what I’ve heard from Circle of Ouroboros but I find Eleven Fingers endlessly listenable. It’s shoagazey blackmetal that’s staight up dancey at times and sounds amazing to me.

Here is a band from some of the guys from Pelican. My band toured with them so I heard them play the record from front to back every night for a few weeks. Didn’t get tired of it. Still a favorite of mine.

2 Likes

Speaking of both Detroit bands and nerdy stuff there’s these guys who have a song called Bullet Hell:

Cloud Rat was supposed to play at xBrainiacx’s final show at Wolf Eyes’ practice space a couple years back but a fight broke out between a frequently drunk and surly older noise dude and the Cloud Rat crew.

1 Like

OKAY time for me to post some older stuff, too. gonna start by posting perhaps the most normie of metals, though it’s something from their absolute peak and is 1000% fire:

i don’t expect anyone to sit there and watch this whole thing, but old clips of metallica in their early 20s playing everything 10-20% faster will always make me at least 10-20% happier and i’ve gotta get 'em outta my system at some point, considering they’re where this all began, for me

let’s talk about judas priest!

my favorites are stained class and painkiller, both very different—the former being much more a '70s heavy record with a specifically… almost delicate production, much like sin after sin before it—and the latter being their most truly Metal opus

the POWER

going back to stuff not everybody has heard of… detente. ross robinson (you know, the nu metal producer) played guitar in this band, but you’d never know it! they make me wish there were more '80s thrash bands with women on vox

ok more later

1 Like

Oh shit, time for me to post more classic metal isht as well.

This is actually from the first album that I ever bought! 9 bucks I think for a used copy of Persistence of Time from the local bookstore. It took me way too long to realize that this is a cover (it’s a really good cover though).

Also, the best Iron Maiden song from the best Iron Maiden album:

Regarding Metallica, they were my first concert, a Day on the Green at the Oakland Coliseum right after the Black Album. Lineup was: Soundgarden/Faith No More/Queensrÿche/Metallica. There was like a two-hour break between Queensrÿche and Metallica in which a bunch of drunk people ripped up the outfield grass and had a real turf war, throwing it at each other.

2 Likes

lol that owns

and i 100% agree on maiden, powerslave is godlike metal

some more new(ish) stuff before i go back to posting old shit…!

1 Like
2 Likes

lots of other stuff to explore so that’s cool
listened to nails last weekend for the first time in awhile
it was p cathartic

thanks to zeno i’m obsessed with wormrot now

2 Likes

i’m glad you like wormrot!!! voices is essential, one of my favorite albums ever

check out their guitar player’s other band, fantastic stoner rock/metal

btw deftones’ around the fur is a perfect record

btw btw i know that only a small portion of this forum is into metal but maybe we can keep this thread?

4 Likes

around the fur is a perfect album. chino is a forever husband. my own summer goes down great at karaoke.

5 Likes

We can always dig out autopruned threads, or move it into sb prime if you like

1 Like

i leave it up to you! cuba tell us about metal you like

I am a dilettante, broad but shallow

Uh, I like Metallica and Slayer and Megadeth (but not Maiden very much)

1 Like

i always enjoy your basic but earnest love of classic thrash

1 Like

I made my 7 year old (uh I guess he was 6 then?) a metalhead for about 6 months, his favorites were BFG Division and Holy War, but that too, like all phases, passed.