Celeste thread

I’m getting strong DK94 vibes from the city and extremely strong Kero Blaster vibes from the hotel

Wondering which other essential game I haven’t played I should getting vibes from by playing this

OK ‘Reflections’ B-Side can go FUCK itself. Ahhh (update: I beat it. 1703 deaths. 3 hours. Some B-side!)

2 Likes

I just beat all the C-sides! I think 7 is the hardest? 8 felt way more generous to me as far as timing. 7 has way more inputs/second. 6 could have been pretty hard if not for that checkpoint that clearly breaks established checkpoint rules.

I still want to play more! I hope there’s some hard DLC at some point (or a level editor?!?). I might actually plink away at the golden strawberries because I’m a masochist.

2 Likes

It’s too bad the joycon joysticks are inaccurate for stuff like this. I played this whole game on an Xbone elite controller joystick and never once had issues with the wrong dash coming out.

Maybe joysticks with shorter throws should steal the 8-way notches the GameCube controller had. It makes it worse to spin around, but most games don’t need quarter or half circles and increased accuracy in cardinal or diagonal directions is something that’s often needed.

I beat all the C-sides as well! I also didn’t find Core C-side too difficult. I mean, I had like 400 deaths or so, but that’s nothing compared to Mirror Temple C-side, which was the toughest one for me. The second wall jump (where the bubble is moving diagonal down-right) must surely have the smallest timing window of any action in the entire game. Uh, unless there was an easier way to do it I missed.

I’m really sad this game is over. I might try Chapter 3 A-side golden strawberry a few more times, but there’s no way I’ll actually try to get all of them, or even all of the A-sides. I don’t know what to do with my free time anymore :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: I beat this whole damn game using joycon direction buttons RIP my hands

1 Like

Help I keep trying to get the golden strawberries.

Just got the one for chapter 4 and spent a lot of time on 6

My third golden strawberry:

I find they’re much easier to get on the C-Sides because they’re shorter overall. I find the A-sides rather tedious to complete (I’m very impatient!); at least the B-Sides are somewhat challenging.

I think to complete all the A-side golden strawbs I would want to learn speed routes to cut down the tedium and up the challenge.

4 Likes

I’m digging that guy’s YT channel

It’s a good channel. He has a whole series just on Zelda dungeons.

This is a good video game but I don’t know how much extra stuff I’ll end up doing when I beat it. The second the game told me strawberries do nothing I resolved to never collect another one again.

It didn’t say they do nothing, it said they impress your friends

2 Likes

For anyone who hasn’t heard of it yet, Theo has a real-life Instagram account: https://www.instagram.com/theounderstars/

I promise you that my friends are not impressed.

2 Likes

You might need better friends

1 Like

3 Likes

I’ve started playing this. In my first session, I completed the third area. It wasn’t too far along in the second area when I decided that I wasn’t going to get all of the strawberries. The way my wrist felt when I was done, I may also not attempt any of the b-sides.

In every R-Type game, I’ve hit a point where I could make no further progress. But every R-Type game includes an invincibility code so that I have been able to see the remainder of the game. I suspect that Celeste will be similar with its “assist mode,” though I have not yet enabled it.

Although I’ve seen some videos and screenshots of this game, I’m glad I haven’t seen all of the areas. It’s always nicer when a new area in a game with a unique graphical theme is a surprise.

Celeste is very completable if you ignore the strawberries. It’s satisfying enough to just beat the story levels.

I have started ignoring some of them. But that’s not always easy to do, psychologically. I just played through the fourth area. I think I might have lost a fingerprint or two.

2 Likes