Celeste thread

Sick, damn what a game.

1 Like

Ahh I kind of freaked out a little as the game glitched for me earlier. I thought the music was being intentionally janky but it then started jerking the gameplay. Putting it down for now.

6 Likes

that sounded sick as hell

3 Likes

I just tried playing this for the first time in portable mode and with the joycon (after beating the game with the Pro controller) and ohmygod how the hell could anybody possibly put up with that. I had to stop, impossibly uncomfortable.

reading about all the extra Stuff in this game is amazing. secrets upon secrets upon secrets!

Yeah playing this with joycons means lancing pain in the left thumb and dull throbbing pain in the entire right hand as you laboriously unclench it. You can avoid the pain in the left thumb by using the thumbstick at the cost of missing 10% of your dashes

Anyway I beat all the B-sides in portable mode

2 Likes

I just finished the Windy w/bubbles area. Loving it so far, probably only going to moreso as I’m pretty addicted. Excellent momentum for all that quick, rapid failing.

I’ve already accustomed myself to using the L/R bumpers to grab, though it’s cramping my left hand. Might try changing that next play.

I got like 7 or 8 screens away from completing the Pico-8 on my first attempt but had to quit because I had been going for 45 minutes straight and was getting fatigued. Haven’t experienced any cramping though (on PS4).

I think this is a pretty dang fun little game. I might have to get the Switch version eventually just to have the portability for travel or whatever.

I can’t believe that fucking tutorial crow shows up twice in the tutorial, then basically goes away, and then shows up three times in the postgame. Right when you believe you’re on top of things and you’ve mastered everything the game has to throw at you, there’s that crow to disabuse you

2 Likes

I completed the Pico-8 on my second attempt! It took me 30 minutes and I still missed like 5 of the strawberries (didn’t realize that some where hidden in destructible blocks since I didn’t play it when it was just a game jam prototype) but I’ll be making more attempts.

1 Like

I’m on this screen right now and this is also happening to me. It even froze up once but went back to normal after backing out of the game and into the PS4 main menu and then back into the game. I have discovered that if I wait a moment before making another attempt after dying (trying for that strawberry lol) it won’t stutter or freeze so I think it’s probably something to do with the game not having finished loading properly or something.

edit-The stuttering/audio glitches started up back again immediately after making this post so I decided to just give up on the strawberry and push onto the next screen and now things seem to have returned to normal.

Just beat the B-side of Celestial Resort. 780 deaths, the most of any stage thus far. What a freaking endurance test. One more heart and I should be able to access chapter 8.

Without a doubt the most satisfying platforming mechanics I’ve ever experienced. It’s brutally difficult but never feels out of reach. The sheer number of ways to approach any given screen is staggering.

I beat three more C-sides yesterday, so I have 5/8. I’m finding success is even more about finding the right approach than about executing consistently. It’s easy to tunnel vision into a particular way of doing a sequence after determining that it’s in fact possible to do it that way, but it might be much harder than an alternative. Trying new approaches can waste time, but practicing a bad one wastes even more.

Currently stuck on the first screen (!) of Mirror Temple C-side, and on the final screen of Summit C-side. Both of them seem… potentially possible I guess. I’m still making small mechanical discoveries, like that holding left/right arrows coming out of springs slightly adjusts the distance you fly (you never have to do this, but it can give you an easier timing window for the next obstacle).

1 Like

I’ve beaten stages 1, 2, and 4 C-sides, but I decided to skip all the way to Summit C-side. That may have been a mistake, because goodness gracious the screen I’m on (which I imagine is the second-to-last) is an absolute nightmare.

There’s no way in hell I’m getting all of the Golden Strawberries, but the first two were kind of hilariously easy. I guess I got better at the game!

Stage 6 C-side might be the easiest one – it has an uncommonly generous checkpoint which I suspect is the result of a nerf after an alpha version of the stage proved practically impossible, so you can try that one if you want to “relax” (not really)

Could one of you bottom line how to access the C-sides?

Get every red and blue heart.

1 Like

I did it, all the levels

(well not the golden strawberries but that can kiss off)

Last last level spoiler

the crow is back

1 Like

This game is so good!

1 Like

Anybody know if there’s a way to readjust the screen size? Playing in portable mode made me realize I’m too zoomed in

As a person that played over 100 hours of Dustforce, this game is my fucking jam. It’s like its less esoteric cousin with even more character and charm! The music rocks, the graphics and animation are gorgeous, and it’s so smooth and tight.

That one thing I want is like per checkpoint time trial leaderboards though. That plus replays and I would probably play this game forever.

2 Likes