Celeste thread

Judging from the trophies, I’m now in the final area. The last sequence in area 6 sure was intense, and it seemed to go on forever (but I don’t mean that as a complaint). I kept saying to myself that after this room I will stop for the night.

1 Like

I was inclined to complain about the area 6 boss. It’s a lot of samey rooms with no particular dramatic moments or sense of progress, and the intense music wasn’t designed to be played that long. Could have benefited from either cuts or a rethink (e.g. identifiably “major” rooms that the boss sprite looks more damaged after you complete).

If that one area feeling interminable is the game’s biggest flaw, it’s certainly a minor one though.

176 strawberries so far. coming up on the 40 hour mark

i am convinced you can get to the last segment of chapter 7 only using your first dash but idk if the game does anything to acknowledge it. might get around to trying eventually

anyway this is one of my favorite games. i feel the absence of dialogue and dynamic music pretty strongly in the B/C sides though. im still not sure where the end of chapter 8 fits into things either. i wish spending more time with the game meant spending more time with these characters. stuff like the opening to chapter 6 is very personal to me and when this game is just a series of platforming challenges without any grounding it feels a lot… lonelier

2 Likes

Theo has some choice fourth-wall-breaking lines in Mirror Temple B-side tho

i laughed, sure, but you know that isn’t the kind of thing i’m talking about

like, even just jokes would be fine, actually, if they weren’t so few and far between

Yeah, I guess my point is that jokes and hangoutitude is the maximum that can be expected from the B-sides, even if the team had infinite resources. There’s a closed character arc in the A-sides that has nowhere further to go, at least with the same setting and cast. Sort of like FFX-2’s way of revisiting the same world was “let’s just make it lighthearted and pretend nothing dramatic happened”. Certainly there are not enough jokes and I felt the same dry and solitary feeling, which is only really appropriate in Area 8.

could’ve had a secondary narrative, even a cutesy unambitious one. play as theo, play as the old lady, play as your mirror self (best option, most fitting). i mean, it’s not hard to imagine how you’d integrate dark worlds into a narrative whose main thematic element is distorted reflections

i mean yeah i’m not factoring in dev resources but it’s still a missed opportunity and noticeably so

1 Like

This is still probably my favorite, or at least most thought about game I’ve played, recently (this year).

I haven’t touched it since doing most of the B-sides and strawberries, still a good bit left to “100% it”, which I’ll be satisfied with on C-sides completion.

The general crux (and flux) of running from/surmounting depression is widely relatable of course. When I think of the momentum, and the tunes. I just feel those pits below me. But keep moving and dashing.

I just finished the game, and I managed to do it without turning on assist mode. I don’t think I have it in me to attempt any of the post-game content that way, though.

Even getting stuck for a while in several places, I never tired of the game’s music.

2 Likes

this game is pretty

4 Likes

This guy completed the game in 31:25.

He also did a 7+ hour run in which he collected all the berries.

(Videos include strong language.)
2 Likes

Here’s a thorough page about Jumper. I remember the stir that this game made in the Game Maker Community forums on its release.

http://love-game.net/jumper/

5 Likes

of COURSE this game went on sale on Steam the day after I bought it on Switch

of COURSE

Just finished the core game last night. Still have about 50% of the B-Sides to go. So incredibly good. I don’t think I would have picked this up if it weren’t for so many people saying glowing things about it on sb, so thanks!

6 Likes

i am loving this but i get so confused with the inputs sometimes. like i can see why dash and jump are separate buttons but like, did they HAVE to be?

partway through the hotel, and i did chapter 2’s b-side!

yes!

1 Like

so far the edge cases are all like, when you wanna dash through that cosmic dream matter but you’re currently on it. i guess the dash moves you along the ground faster, and there might be a reason for that, but so far it seems like needless input complexity. looking forward to being proved wrong though

I think the interaction with wall-jumping might be the biggest single reason. Imagine trying to mash jump up a wall if dashing shared the same button. You’d have to be super careful with the timing to not dash by accident. That’s the clearest case of the general difference that dashing is a drainable resource that needs to be timed carefully, whereas jumps are unlimited and generally not quite as important to execute perfectly.

I found the controls in Wings of Vi (with buttons for jump, flutter and attack, and has double-jump) overwhelming, but since this game doesn’t have an attack button and jumping does nothing in mid-air, it’s manageable.

oh yeah good point! i was really floundering with some of the dash-jump-dash sequences in the chapter 2 b-side but now you mention it that last screen would have been impossible if the dash wasn’t very separate from the jump. though i was very messy in my execution of that sequence so maybe there’s a better way to do it idk

Lena Raine has a new album out that’s not a video game soundtrack.

2 Likes